A QUESTION OF AUTHENTICITY

Handy Hints
Tips and advice on ways to improve our writing, story telling and performing.
Cropduster

A QUESTION OF AUTHENTICITY

Post by Cropduster » Wed Feb 18, 2015 4:16 am

Hi

I have been overwhelmed by the generosity of others in reviewing my work and suggesting tweaks, or often wholesale changes, to ensure that rhyme and meter are consistent.

I hope that their efforts are not in vain, and in time my work improves as a direct result of their kindness.

What are the rules in regard to attaching one's name to a piece of work that has been edited by more experienced writers.

While the story may remain the same, the wording can change dramatically when the strict rules of rhyme and meter are applied.

I appreciate your feedback

Allan

Neville Briggs

Re: A QUESTION OF AUTHENTICITY

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Feb 18, 2015 6:34 am

I wouldn't worry too much about rules.

My thoughts are that suggestions by more experienced writers can be accepted without any problem, if their input accords with your intentions.

But in the case for example where a person wrote verse which didn't scan and another hand sorted it out into a suitable metric arrangement, I think that is not a valid original work of poetry.

If I was going to enter a competition, I would prefer a competition entry to be all my own work.
Some comps demand a certification to the effect that the work is wholly original.

I think it really all depends on one's own integrity.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Feb 18, 2015 7:47 am

An interesting point Neville, Where does an author stand who gets their work edited ? then claims it as all their own ?

Is it still all their own, or what if I get a appraisal on a poem entered into a competition and then instigate some changes accordingly ?

As you know I sometimes take suggestions if they suit what I want to say but other times I just find that they interfere with what I'm about.

Normally any suggestions are ( yours to use or loose )

Bob
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:06 am

Agree with Bob - suggestions made on this site are there for the writer to 'use or lose' I doubt any of our mob would be looking for credit for helping out a fellow poet
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:31 am

Here's a tip that was given to me and I don't recall by whom but I think it is a good one worth sharing.

When you post any of your work on line always put your name and © right next to or under the title - NOT at the end of the poem. That way there is a fair chance that if someone posts it to their page or passes it on or uses it elsewhere your name will rename of it as the Author.

And from an Editors point of view - if submitting work to mags etc for consideration make sure again that you do the above. An Authors name added to the bottom of a page really is not helpful and when a poet sends upwards of 2 pages of poetry none of which have the Authors name attached to them in close proximity to the poem it becomes an editor's nightmare. Always attach the authors name to EACH individual poem.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Mon Jan 18, 2016 1:12 pm

Like Neville, I wouldn't worry too much, Allan. Novels are edited, often extensively, as are research articles and many other types of written material without affecting the "originality" of the work. So if advice is given (including by a judge, Bob) and you're happy with it, go ahead and follow it. If somebody else completely rewrote a poem it'd be a problem, but that's most unlikely to happen. The rules about originality are there to stop people pinching another poet's work and claiming it as their own or, as in a recent free verse case, taking lines from a variety of poems written by others, and linking them together in a single poem. Bit of a scandal, that was, and the poet was publicly humiliated as he'd been doing it for some time. In the end, you're the one who has to feel comfortable about what you submit.

And Maureen's comment about the placement of the © symbol is excellent advice!

Cheers
David

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon Apr 18, 2016 3:08 pm

Placing your name under the title of the poem was, I believe, one of Frank Daniel's many helpful suggestions.