Kangaroo Valley Folk Festival

Event Organisers can post Results here, with a reminder to also forward any results to the Admin for posting on the Main ABPA page.
Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:00 pm

I sent these results through but as they haven't appeared on the site yet I thought I'd post them.
Official Results
Kangaroo Valley Folk Festival Written Poetry Competition 2014

Section 1 (up to 12 years)
Infants: Amelia Sim
Junior Primary: Molly Jones
Senior Primary: Madison Walker
Section 2 (13 years to 17 years)
First: Thomas Loos - Mother Nature

Section 3 Open Adult – Bush Verse
First: Pauline Haggith – A Morning With My Book
Second: Terry Piggott – When It’s Time To Say Goodbye
Third: Terry Piggott – The Last Of The Old Australians
Highly Commended: Terry Piggott – A Blaze Upon A Tree
Highly Commended: Jim Kent – In A Bush Clearing Small
Commended: Tom McIlveen – Working For The Dole

Section 4- The crystal Creek Meadows Award (Two nights with breakfast)
The Theme this year was ‘Endeavour.
Won by Trevor Shaw of Biloela QLD with his poem: ‘Proudly ’True Blue’ Volunteers’.

Brief summery: There were over 120 entries in all. This included 75 from the local primary school. The children’s attempt at rhyming was very good. It was remarkable that a 6 year old was able to use onomatopoeia correctly and another had a great line containing a four word use of alliteration. Congratulations to both the children and the teachers.
All of the awards of the open section went out of town this year to places as far as Gordonvale Qld, Port Fairy Victoria, and Canning Vale West Australia.
Even the Crystal Creek Meadows prize went away to Biloela Qld.
All in all a most successful competition with every section receiving more entries than the previous year!

The performance competition which is held on Sunday was hotly contested, with around a dozen reciters. It was judged by the previous years winner and to my surprise he named me the winner. He said I had the advantage of doing an original poem. I did ‘The Hem of Her Apron’ and it reminded him of his mother. The trophy is an impressive lump of timber. (I'll try to post the photo on the picture section) So next year I receive two tickets to the festival and have to be the judge. All in all a most enjoyable weekend.
Zondrae King
Zondrae King
a woman of words