Boyup Brook

Event Organisers can post Results here, with a reminder to also forward any results to the Admin for posting on the Main ABPA page.
alongtimegone

Boyup Brook

Post by alongtimegone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 am

Have written poetry results from the Boyup Brook competition been published. I've looked around and not found any mentions.
Wazza

Heather

Re: Boyup Brook

Post by Heather » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:53 am

They usually publish them Warren but it sometimes takes a little while. :)

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat Mar 01, 2014 10:23 am

Hi Wazza,
I was speaking to Irene the other day and she told me they will be up soon.

Terry

alongtimegone

Post by alongtimegone » Sat Mar 01, 2014 5:45 pm

Thank you Heather ... Terry.

Irene

Post by Irene » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:19 pm

Hi Wazza
My apologies - should have posted them earlier.
The results are as follows:

OPEN CATEGORY

First Place … Unspoken Words – David Campbell, Beaumaris. Vic

Very Highly Commended … A soldier Brave – Brenda Joy, Charters Towers. Qld

Highly Commended … Jimmy – Tom McIlveen, Port Macquarie. NSW

Highly Commended … Baldy – Michael Lloyd, Bayonet Head, Albany. WA

Highly Commended … Where Life Has Led – Brenda Joy, Charters Towers. Qld

Commended … Secrets Of the Desert – Brenda Joy, Charters Towers. Qld

Winner – Emerging Poet

Baldy – Michael Lloyd, Bayonet Head. WA

Winner – WA Poet

Baldy – Michael Lloyd, Bayonet Head. WA

JUDGES REPORT Boyup Brook 2014

Entry numbers were down a little this year but this didn’t affect the quality of many of those received.
There was little to choose between the poems selected for awards, indeed another judge may well have placed them differently. There were also several poems that just missed out but would be worthy of an award in most competitions.

The winning poem tells of heartache and sadness at the loss of a loved one during the bushfires and the longing that follows seem to be never ending – a very fine piece of writing.

The poem that was the runner up told of the sadness of seeing a soldier’s coffin returning home from Afghanistan and thinking of his mother, as the observer herself has a son serving there and tells of the constant anxiety she feels for his safety – a very well written and touching poem

The other award winning poems were based on a number of different subjects including one humorous one about a hair transplant.

Many thanks to all that entered the competition, and congratulations to the ones who received the awards. If any poets are travelling in WA mid february, the Boyup Brook Country Music Festival is a great weekend to attend - 4 opportunities to get up and present your work, along with a poets brawl on the saturday morning. And the guest poets for the weekend - this year was Marco and Muzza - host a workshop in writing and performing bush poetry on the saturday afternoon. And the biggest bush poets breakfast in WA is held sunday morning at the music park - approx 1100 - 1200 this year, but have been known to have 1800+ attend!
Oh, and some good country music in between!!! :D
We would love to see you there - put it in your diary for next year!!
Thanks again
Irene
What goes around, comes around.

Irene

Post by Irene » Sun Mar 02, 2014 10:33 pm

Ha ha Heather - just saw your post!!

Yep, every year I vow that I will get the results up asap - when I get back from the festival - then work gets in the way!!! :oops:
And each year I find myself apologizing for taking so long!
I keep waiting for someone else to take over for me, but we are only a small organisation in WA, and we struggle to get enough volunteers to do things as it is. The others that volunteer for things are kept busy with our monthly musters in Perth - which I don't get to attend and help with - so I feel I need to do my bit! And I was lucky last year that I had someone take over doing our monthly magazine because I was struggling to keep up with it, work and study, so I count my blessings!! :)

Catchya
Irene

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:32 pm

Oh, Irene, I wasn't for a minute trying to hurry you up or make you feel bad - just letting Wazza know it would be done as it always is :oops: I nearly added later that the volunteers are busy people. :)

Irene

Post by Irene » Mon Mar 03, 2014 2:55 pm

nah Heather - wasn't thinking that you were! All good - I was just having a laugh at myself!! :o :D
I'm only busy because I am so disorganised!!! One day I am going to enrol in a time management course!!! :D

Catchya
Irene

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Mar 03, 2014 3:19 pm

What a waste of time Irene! You know the old saying - you want something done...... find a busy disorganised person! :D

I make lists. Lists are useful. Try a list. Such a good feeling when you cross something off a list! :lol:

alongtimegone

Post by alongtimegone » Tue Mar 04, 2014 11:50 am

No need for sorry Irene. I'm sure everyone appreciates the time and effort you put into Boyup Brook activities. Congratulations David, Tom, Michael and Brenda ... wow Brenda three of the top half dozen, how good is that?

Cheers all,
Wazza