Official Report – Adelong Show “Best of the Bush” Comp

Event Organisers can post Results here, with a reminder to also forward any results to the Admin for posting on the Main ABPA page.
Peely

Official Report – Adelong Show “Best of the Bush” Comp

Post by Peely » Mon Mar 11, 2013 2:08 pm

Official Report – Adelong Show “Best of the Bush” Bush Poetry Competition

On March 10th 2013, the Adelong Show Society held their second “Best of the Bush” bush poetry competition as part of their annual show.

It was only a small field of competitors but once again there were some very good quality performances on the day. Competitors were able to present two poems and were judged on their best performance of the two. There were two categories in the competition – an open category where competitors were able to present their choice of an original, modern or traditional bush poem; and an Adelong-themed bush poem section.

Mick Donahue of Tumut was the MC of the competition and provided some of his own distinctive poetry between the performances as the judges were completing their judging sheets. He was assisted by up-and-coming country singer, Emily Pike of Carrathool, who also provided some songs in between.

The winning poet in the open category was Sue Pearce of Tumut with an original poem entitled, “The Lone Dog’s Cry” – an emotional poem about an old dog that had lost his master. The runner-up was Jim Lamb of Young with the Banjo Paterson classic, “Song of the Wheat”. Heather Roach of Adelong returned this year and defended her title with another win in the Adelong-themed poem section with her poem “Along for the Ride”. Adelong based performer, John MacKenzie narrowly missed out on being among the placegetters.

After the prizes were presented, competition judge, John Peel of Tumut, presented a mixture of traditional and original poems for the appreciative audience that were in attendance.

This competition will be running again in March next year, so keep an eye out for it, it is likely to be bigger and better than ever.
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Robyn

Re: Official Report – Adelong Show “Best of the Bush” Comp

Post by Robyn » Mon Mar 11, 2013 5:03 pm

Congratulations Sue. Well done.
And well done John for getting it all up and running. It's not easy to get a new comp started, so good luck with it for next year.
Cheers
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:12 pm

Well done to both of you - A great days work
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:30 pm

Thank you John for posting this report- and thank you Robyn and Maureen for your comments. John and I have been very busy promoting Bush Poetry in our area, we have supported one another with
appearances at our local Lions Club dinner and an afternoon at the local aged hostel, I've been asked to entertain at the senior citizens luncheon on the 19th March and I know John has a busy schedule ahead, then April 27th the local Festival Of The Falling leaf will see many of our top poets converge on the caravan park for a fun weekend of Bush Poetry, so all in all a busy time ahead. Enjoying it immensely. :) :)

Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Peely

Post by Peely » Mon Mar 11, 2013 7:32 pm

Thank you Robyn, Maureen and Sue
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

warooa

Post by warooa » Tue Mar 12, 2013 5:29 am

Congratulations on your win, Sue. :)

Marty

ps Is the poem "A Lone Dogs Cry" on the forum?

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 7:43 am

No Marty-its a new one written especially for performance comps.

Cheers and thanks
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Mar 12, 2013 8:49 am

Congratulations Sue...

Heather :)

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue Mar 12, 2013 9:06 am

Thank you Heather-not long now till Corryong, looking forward to catching up with you.

Sue

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Mar 12, 2013 4:03 pm

Well done Sue ain't ya glad you got involved with this motley crew ?

Good onya John.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!