National Folk Festival results

Event Organisers can post Results here, with a reminder to also forward any results to the Admin for posting on the Main ABPA page.
Peter Mace

National Folk Festival results

Post by Peter Mace » Tue Apr 10, 2012 2:23 pm

At the National Folk Festival the "Reciter of the Year" was won by Vic Jeffries and the Yarn Spinning by Jim Brown

Heather

Re: National Folk Festival results

Post by Heather » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Well done gentlemen! :)

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Tue Apr 10, 2012 4:12 pm

Well done Vic and Jim. :D :D
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Apr 11, 2012 12:48 pm

Thank you Heather and thank you Robyn. It was a wonderful festival with great crowds attending the Poet's Breakfasts every morning and encouraging crowds attending the night time poetry sessions too. Particularly nice to meet you Robyn as well as to finally meet Jim Brown and to see Stephen Whiteside again.
I thoroughly recommend the National Folk Festival as a wonderful event.

Vic

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:59 pm

Yes, it was nice to see you too again, Vic, and congratulations once more on your win.

One particularly successful innovation this year was the opening up the evening sessions to all comers, rather than simply restricting it to the featured poets. As always, there was quite a press of poets trying to get on at the Breakfasts, and not enough time to accommodate everybody. Opening up the evenings does relieve some of the pressure, even though these performances are not able to be judged for 'Reciter of the Year'.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:38 am

To follow on to what Stephen has said;

We have two hours for the Breakfast on each of the four days and, as has been the tradition, only the first three are included in the 'judging'. We managed to get through 26 performers each day, some of whom are not eligible, having won before. (It is a once in a lifetime win) The venue is always packed and there are always performers who can't get a go. I turned up about 45 minutes before schedule start time on Friday to find a dozen people waiting already. We had to carry about ten names over to the next day.

Some of the general crowd come along to hear the programmed poets and some come along to compete. I think we may have to separate the 'competition' from the Breakfast in the future. Does anyone else have any thoughts on this idea. - But then again, would this lower the standard of the entertainment or should there be auditions?

As I had the task of judging this year I couldn't help commenting on how high the standard was. If we took out the 'non eligible performers' (that is the poets whose names are in the programme or have won previously) would any general audience come to watch?
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Peter Mace

Post by Peter Mace » Fri Apr 13, 2012 3:32 pm

Another innovation this year was a poetry slam face off between the Bush Poets and the Slam poets, similar to that held at Woodford.

Pleased to announce that the Bush Poets team of Jim Brown, Joe Lynch, Roger Montgomery and myself came out on top.

The tent was full and the entertainment superb

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:04 pm

I think you can over think these things, Zondrae. The system is not perfect, but it's hard to think of a better one. It's pretty much worked over a fairly long period of time now. I'd be inclined to just leave it alone.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Sun Apr 15, 2012 7:46 am

G'day Stephen,

I guess you have a point. The formula certainly gives an opportunity for everyone (who gets in early, particularly at the National) to have a spot on stage. It is very important for new comers to share the stage with more experienced performers. Otherwise they never get over the jitters. This can take a while, believe me. It also lets the audience see a comparison between a polished and a naive presentation.
Zondrae King
a woman of words