Henry Lawson's pipe

Post your images from any Bush Poetry events here.

Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb. If your greatest image dimension is 600px or under, there will be no problems keeping within the file sizes.
Keeping the LARGEST dimensions at 600px means, if the length is 600px then the width could be the same but preferably less. Conversly, if the width is 600px then the length could be the same but preferably less.
Forum rules
Please keep the file sizes down to under 150kb and the dimensions UNDER 600 X 600px ...
Gary Harding

Henry Lawson's pipe

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Mar 19, 2018 1:45 pm

Henry Lawson's pipe.

I bought a nice poker pipe at a garage sale last week for $5. (see photo of it)

It was a deceased estate and I was assured that it was very, very old. Just had a feeling that it might be valuable.. so for $5.. well... could it be Lawson's pipe I thought?
Now there is a picture of Lawson's pipe (the more modern-looking one photographed) by The Mitchell Library, NSW. (it was gifted to them in 1950.. see photo)

I also know that there was another "Lawson's pipe" that was auctioned in I think the late 70's or early 80's.

I am beginning to think that the world might be full of "Lawson pipes"... if you get my drift. So if you are ever offered a genuine "Lawson pipe" by someone in an alley...

Now I am trying to reconstruct a desk with Henry Lawson sitting at it from an old photo and thought that this might do as a Lawson pipe, even although in truth it may be that it was not born for a few decades after his death.. or not. I don't know.

Already have the nib-pen and exact inkwell.

Hold on... do I see H.L. initials underneath the bowl? If not I might get out my carving knife.... instant Henry Lawson pipe.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Henry Lawson's pipe

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Mar 24, 2018 11:20 am

Your $5 find is a rustic briar pipe aka poker pipe - it could certainly fetch considerably more at Auction for people who collect items related to smoking - $100+ not unfeasible, but whether or not it belonged to HL is open to conjecture - if it did then of course it would be worth considerable more. You might find this link interesting - http://www.tobaccopipes.com/search.php? ... es&Search=
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.