Marbles

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Heather

Re: Marbles

Post by Heather » Mon May 16, 2016 12:34 pm

I see it now. The next poing gathering - Over 80s hopscotch (praps more limping and hobbling than hopping!) and marbles for the boys - just picturing you all getting up off the ground amuses me already.

I remember that elastic game Shelley but have no idea what it was called. Don't know if i participated - i wasn't the sporty kind!! :lol: Tunnel ball was something we did in sport. All those games seemed to be cyclic and would come around each season or every couple of years.

Handball was another lunchtime passtime.

Swap cards. Remember swap cards girls? I threw the last of mine out not that long ago. :)

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Mon May 16, 2016 1:13 pm

Yes, and swapping stickers too (not the sticky kind, but all sorts of different pictures we'd keep in a box and swap)...And thanks so much for the reminder of what used to just call 'Elastic' Shelley - I used to love that and had forgotten all about it! ...Talk about going down Memory Lane! :)

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 16, 2016 2:17 pm

And football cards (not that I indulged)..

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu May 19, 2016 12:13 pm

I heard about knuckles, Heather, but never played with them. They were always something of a mystery to me.

I had a Ron Barassi footy card. It was one of several precious items I hid under my bed. Whenever I came home from being out somewhere I would bring it out and make sure it was OK. It gave me great strength.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu May 19, 2016 12:46 pm

Ron Barassi - I love it Stephen. :) I had to hide my swap cards from my younger sister!

I can't say i ever mastered "Knuckles". I know you had to put them on the back of your hand and throw them in the air, but what happened after that is still a mystery to me.

Heather :)

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu May 19, 2016 1:14 pm

Yes, I vaguely remember that bit, too.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu May 19, 2016 4:53 pm

I went to an all boys school and the only knuckles we had were behind the shed to sort out some bully.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!