Halloween

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Halloween

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:28 am

Here you go Neville - remember when we didn't celebrate Halloween in Australia because it wasn't/isn't a holiday that Australia recognized. :evil: Now the shops are cashing in big time on it - we are told (in some schools) that we can't have Christmas , and we can't have black sheep for fear of offending some members of the community and because of perceived political correctness - but we have Halloween. I am offended by it, hate it, don't subscribe to it, refuse to give kids lollies for it and will give short shift to any little merde that decided they will 'trick' me for my lack of participation in this crap - but sadly if you were to check out my FB page you would see I have two little green munchkins who are related to me.

Sad - very sad - whilst I love them to bits, they're not getting any treats from their Aunty just because it is Halloween :(
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

r.magnay

Re: Halloween

Post by r.magnay » Wed Oct 30, 2013 10:32 am

Totally agree Maureen, went to Coles the other day, couldn't buy a Queensland Blue, all bloody big orange pumpkins like I had never seen in all my years of living on farms... :?
Ross

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:20 pm

You're right Maureen. ;) Walt Disney and Ray Kroc ( McDonalds ) worked out a long time ago that targetting children was the way to open consumer markets.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Oct 30, 2013 12:39 pm

Talking of pumpkins...recently had the last laugh at Woolworth's most recent attempt at political correctness.
Went into the local supermarket and asked one of the shop assistants for a piece of Jap pumpkin.
He replied that Woolworth's no longer refer to that type of pumpkin as Jap because it might be misconstrued as being racist.
Poor chap was amazed when I told him that Jap means and has always meant Just Another Pumpkin. Duh!

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Oct 30, 2013 2:58 pm

Geeez - racist pumpkins - now I've heard it all. The next thing you know they'll stop selling eggplant aka aubergine because they're too black, and God help the blackberries - they're sure to get the push. :lol:

It's not funny though but it is plain bloody stupid and as Australians we should put a stop to this nonsense. We don 't need it in our country - I'd be writing a letter/email to Woolies and having a good old Aussie whinge about it.

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 3:06 pm

Sadly, it's no good writing letters of protest Mausey. The whole kit & caboodle is consciously devised to reduce us all to obedient little automatons.....deep sigh.

BTW Pumpkins are easy az to grow yaself.

Toodle-oo....... :D
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Oct 30, 2013 4:34 pm

It's always worth writing letters Glenny - from little things big things grow - including Jap pumpkins. The big 3 supermarkets are very aware of people power - they are now gearing up towards using only free range eggs down the track and they have changed their pork products to pork from pigs that are not raised in sow stalls - all as a result of public protests. If enough people car enough to join together we can move mountains

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Oct 30, 2013 5:56 pm

That's good news Maureen. I'd just about given up hope. I'm off to sharpen my pencil as I have a few 'recipients' in my line of fire..... :evil: :lol:
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Fri Nov 29, 2013 12:46 pm

Jap pumpkin Yuk Yuk QLD Blue forever yay :P :P :P
I Keep Trying