These are a few my (un) favourite things.

Share your recollections of days gone by....before they fade from our collective memories and are lost forever.
manfredvijars

Re: These are a few my (un) favourite things.

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Oct 25, 2011 8:53 am

... from a Wog's point of view ...

Mum would boil up a pigs head and make a brawn thingie in aspic - sliced, on sandwiches for lunch.

Dad would fry up onions and bits of bacon in LARD and we'd spread lashings of the stuff on bread. Never wasted bread either, the end bits would go into the oven and we would munch on rusks between meals.

Dad made a version of steak tartare, he'd scrape a cut of lean beef with a sharp knife instead of mincing (the same result) then add raw egg, pepper, mustard and fine diced onions. We'd eat that raw. I rather liked that actually ...

Dad would go fishing for eels, and we'd have eel roll-mops. Home made sauerkraut.

We had nectarine trees, so the preserved nectarines were a real treat.

I HATED porridge in the mornings and used to load it up with jam, butter, sugar - ANYTHING to make it palatable.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:07 am

The lard bit's a killer Manfred. I have a neighbour who's Polish and recounted how back in the old country they used to have piles of mashed potato with larded gravy poured over it :shock:
I think they needed the calories when they did a lot of physical effort in their daily work in the colder climates of Europe. In Australia, I think that for our climate we are better off with something resembling Mediterranean or Spice Islands cuisine.

I'll pass on the raw steak .
The rest doesn't sound too bad, because it's mostly home-made and fresh.

I always liked porridge :P
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 9:50 am

I havn't had brawn in years, can you still buy it?
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Tue Oct 25, 2011 11:57 am

Yes, brawn is still available at good delicatessens and though I like it too, especially with pickles or tomato sauce on bread and butter as a sandwich, I read somewhere that it is not good for our health. Too much cholesterol or some such thing!
Have to wonder about all the things we used to eat that were not good for our health although we didn't know it in those days. Brains for instance allegedly have a huge amount of cholesterol and all those baked dinners that we used to have that were cooked in heaps of dripping!
Wonder we are here at all when you think about what we consumed everyday.
I only ever had it once or twice but my parents and older brother used to love eating dripping with salt and pepper on bread.
Grilled steak or anything was a rarity when I was growing up. Everything was fried in oodles of fat and I wonder how many remember the dripping tin every good kitchen and cook had to receive and store the used fat?
Fried eggs were really fried in those days. Fried devon with fried eggs was a favourite in my house!

Vic

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Oct 25, 2011 12:31 pm

How about a poem Everyone

Julie Andrews eat ( Get It Eat ) your heart out

Fried eggs and Devon with bacon and dripping
Brawn covered sandwiches, mock cream for licking.
Fish paste on toast oh the sick feeling it brings
These are a few of my least favourite things.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

william williams

Post by william williams » Tue Oct 25, 2011 1:50 pm

Reading with interest what is said on the forum as to food of various types Brains Heart Liver Tripe Tongues Pigs Trotters Eel’s Brawn Dripping and Lard. If you notice good honest old fashion food.
Food where nothing was wasted or discarded and bugger all additives not like modern food that is adulterated and full of SH** that we are told is good for you ( do you believe everything that is told to you if you do well you’re an idiot)
Old fashion over seas foods they have stood the test of time what is wrong with them
We weren’t affluent in those days and mom did wonders with the food we had , Bread and dripping with a little vegemite terrific, home made Brawn fantastic, as dad would say the only thing that is wasted with a pig is his squeal and his piddle.
For 55 years I never had a sick day in my life except for my appendix removal and then at 55 and a half I got smashed up and from then on I was told I am not aloud to have this or that no salt no sugar artificial sweeteners milk that was a little more than coloured water thentwo years later I had two strokes and a compulsory knee replacement and a physical life left useless mentaly dejected and R.S after 12 months
now to hell with it salt I have when I want it and the same with sugar, To hell with skinny milk full body and straight from the cow if I can get it Roll Mops Sour Kroutte Brawn Pickled Pigs Trotter Tongue Tripe straight food with out the bull crap that goes with it and the use by date that that it states life now has a use.

Bill the Old Battler

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Tue Oct 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Bread and dripping, Yummo!! We used to walk home from school for lunch, basically because there was nothing to pack. In those day's the bread carter delivered right to the doorstep bread that was still hot[no packaging] from the oven,[and affordable] those high tin loaves if my memory serves me correctly, plastered with dripping. And if the baker hadn't been, it was back to school with no lunch, usually with a story about some wonderful meal you had because it was too embarrasing to say you had nothing to eat. Oh the good old days!! :) :)
The best fried bread was made in the pan after frying tomatoes[now I'm hungry]
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Fri Jan 13, 2012 10:52 pm

Goodonyasall!! Well....you don't wanna die healthy...do ya?

(I copped all of the aforesaid....PLUS....bloody Castor Oil every Saturday. Mum would shove a quart of an orange in ya gob to 'take the taste away'. It put me orf oranges for life. 'It'll clean out your bowels.' she used to declare. Well it didn't clean mine cos it never made it that far. I threw it up...every Saturday night....& she kept shovelling it into me...every Saturday night! oooh eerk! :evil:
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

croc

Post by croc » Fri Jan 13, 2012 11:28 pm

Bread pudding made with the first milk given after the calf is born is undoubtedly the most repulsive stuff any human could even consider putting in their mouths... let alone swallow it.

I'm orf to be sick at the mere writing about it.

...croc

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:56 am

As a kid I loved chitterlings and winkles - my Dad was a North country Lancastrian and that is what they ate up there..Chitterlings is the small intestine of the pig cleaned and plaited and put in a vinegar brine which makes the meat chewy with the texture of ham - I loved it.
Winkles are a small sea mollusc probably periwinkles - we used to get a twist of winkles (a paper cone) and a pin to pry them out of the shell . Salt and vinegar to the rescue again.

To this day I hate Oysters and the thought of chitterlings makes me heave - probably all in the head because I now know what it was I was eating. :shock:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.