Sustainability Day 2011 (Qld)

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
manfredvijars

Sustainability Day 2011 (Qld)

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Apr 21, 2011 7:49 am

I would like to invite members of the Australian Bush Poetry Association – Qld Branch to participate in the upcoming Hillbrook Sustainability Day event.

I am an event coordinator planning a Sustainability Day event at this school. The event will be held on Saturday 4 June 2011 from 10am to 4pm. The theme for the event is “Community Solutions to Global Problems”. The event will run along much the same lines as the inaugural 2009 event, however, this time the school will be celebrating its 25th anniversary as well and an historical focus will be included. There will be involvement and displays by The Enoggera Historical Society and the Enoggera Boys Home to highlight what was previously on the school site and to inform us of the history of the district. We will have an official speakers program in the school auditorium as well as 2 other informal speaking programmes around the school, recycling initiatives (eg recycling e-waste, plant pots, bicycles, clothing, phone books, glass jars), stalls by community organisations showcasing sustainability initiatives (eg growing food, care for the environment etc) that members of the general public can take up, food stalls organised by the Hillbrook classes with food served in an eco manner, transition town initiatives, some entertainment, an art zone, an Art Trail of Hillbrook’s art installations, a huge photography competition in the School Chapel, informal practical talks/workshops/demonstrations in the Green Car Park and so on A Twilight Concert from 4pm to 6.30pm is also being planned to follow.

To date, we have a wide variety of organisations intending to come and showcase their initiatives/products/messages including the following confirmed groups: Qld Conservation Council, Transition Towns Brisbane, St Johns Wood Sustainability Group, Ecobotanica, Angligreen, BCC City Smart, BCC Invasive Weeds, Program, Kedron Brook Catchment Network, Nova Gardens Nursery, City Food Growers, Qld Bushfood Association, Qld Mycological Association, Brisbane Organic Growers, Inc, Homage to the Seed: Art, Diversity and Seeds, Sizzling Solar Systems, Subtropical Fruit Club of SEQ, Northey Street City Farm, Samford Local Growers, Slow Food Brisbane, Ecodigs,Permablitz, All You Can Eat Gardens, Friends of the Earth, Green Streets, Awakening the Dreamer Symposium, Alternate Technologies Association, Basketcases, Papermakers of Qld, Qld Spinners & Weavers group, City Chicks, Buyequip e-waste recyclers, Samford Local Growers, The Men of the Trees, The Australian Electric Cars Association, Qld Youth Environment Council, Enoggera Historical Society, Brisbane Residents United, Wild Mob, Beyond Zero Emissions, 100% Renewables, Cyberferal Musical Instruments, The Clothing ExchangeAustralian Electric Car Association, Australian Marine Conservation Foundation, Enjo and Segway.

I am writing to you to see if any local members of the ABPA Qld branch could be represented at this community event. We could offer members the opportunity to showcase their skills around the venue at this big community event. At our 2009 Sustainability Day we had over 3000 visitors. I have attached our flyer of the event for your perusal. I have also attached one of the 3 speakers program for your information just to show you the effort we are putting into running a successful event that will appeal to a broad cross section of the community. We have no funding to run this event so I am afraid we would be unable to pay any performers. We have however obtained the support of Kate Jones MP (Qld Climate Change Minister), Cr Andrew Wines and Jane Prentice MP (Member for Ryan) who are attending the event and they will help our PR volunteer promote the event via their networks. Matthew Wright, the young environmentalist of the year 2010, is also coming up from Melbourne and we hope he will be a major drawcard as we promote our event. We can ensure any bush poets will be promoted on Facebook event page and a mention in local newspapers articles, e-newsletters etc. Our entertainment schedule thus far consists of Eddie Dowd (chidlren’s author who is promoting sustainability through storytelling), Kerbside Pickup, Cyberferal Musical Instruments (instruments made from recycled bits and pieces being played), Strange Fruit jazz band and a harpist performing in the school chapel where a photography competition is being viewed. Possiblities for areas where performances could occur, include: a podium in the food court, in the chapel, in the Art zone (vibrant space), at the tea and coffee area, on the front lawn, on the library deck facing a lovely courtyard. It would be wonderful to have bush poetry as part of the vibe of this event. You are of course most welcome to promote your group and if you would like a free market stall you are most welcome.
Should you have any queries please do not hesitate to contact me. Looking forward to hearing from you soon and await your decision.

Kind regards

Marilena Stanton
Event Co-ordinator
Hillbrook Anglican School Sustainability Day 2011
mstanton@iinet.net.au
0404 010 475
3289 7392