New Waltzing Matilda Centre Opening 20th April

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Gary Harding

New Waltzing Matilda Centre Opening 20th April

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:35 am

The new Waltzing Matilda Centre at Winton is opening on Friday 20th April.

The Festival program is available at :

https://wintonswayoutwestfest.com.au/

I note (from the program) that Gary Fogarty is presenting.. as is Lindsay Warren. There may also be others not listed perhaps.

I think it is wonderful and important that they will be carrying a flag for bush poetry during this historic event (and much appreciated!) ... in Banjo Paterson territory.. the area where Waltzing Matilda was composed.

All reports on the internet indicate that the new centre is fabulous and I hope one day soon to get to Winton and see it all.

Shelley Hansen

Re: New Waltzing Matilda Centre Opening 20th April

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Apr 16, 2018 6:58 am

Likewise Gary - Rod and I hope to have the chance to visit (though it won't be for the opening).

I know Greg North is heading to Winton for the winter tourist season. I'm not sure if he will be there for the festival, but right throughout the winter he performs each night at the Matilda Tourist Park - and also does performances at the North Gregory Hotel.

A poetry-rich region, for sure!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Sep 18, 2018 2:20 pm

Yes Shelley, it is a poetry-rich region, that is for sure! It has those strong connections to Banjo Paterson through Waltzing Matilda. I have relatives who rave about Winton!

Greg North's performances are well remembered and appreciated by people I know who have travelled to Winton. The Bronze Swagman too puts Winton on the map for its bush poetry. I used to enter that famous annual competition years ago but like most comps, I never did much good!

Having heard positive reports, I am definitely going to go to Winton towards the end of the year with the aim of having a look through the new Waltzing Matilda Centre. Likely a train trip to get there having never seen that part of Australia, and then fly the return.

The opening Festival in April was such a success that I believe they are considering perhaps having another one in 2019.

There are photos of the inside of the new building on the net.

I am extremely interested in the new WMC. Probably because like many folk, I am a huge fan of Banjo Paterson... and bush poetry of course!

I also hear that the cafe at the Centre has outstanding food.. and coffee.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Sep 19, 2018 6:24 am

Hi Gary

Yes, I did catch some of the photos of the opening. Definitely a place to visit, that’s for sure.

I’m surprised you haven’t had success in written competitions such as the Bronze Swagman. Hearing your poems on ABC radio, I’ve found them to be consistently good in rhyme and metre, with good Aussie themes. I particularly like “The Old Bush Piano”.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Sep 19, 2018 2:30 pm

Thanks Shelley, It is a trip I am really looking forward to...

Train with a sleeper carriage, into Longreach. Check out the Stockman's Hall then on to Winton by bus, and WMC.
It is likely familiar territory to many ABPA members but I have never visited that part of Australia!

I wonder if the original Dagworth station is open for tourists? even if the old homestead (plus its ghosts) is no longer there.

Love Banjo Paterson, plus all his old bush poet friends.. so I will definitely drop into the North Gregory Hotel and see what is happening...

ABC Radio is a lot of fun, isn't it? You must have done many Sat. morning radio spots with Rick over time... I am a relative newbie. Rick says a survey indicated a listening audience of about 45,000 on average. A bit scary. Just as well one cannot see all their faces when trying to recite!!

Don't forget George Seymour and "Bannerman" this Sat. 11.30am in Maryborough.

http://www.ourfrasercoast.com.au/Events ... ry-reading

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sun Sep 30, 2018 5:32 pm

Hi Gary

Yes, Rick said the ratings were in and his Saturday breakfast show topped the results.

We were not able to attend the "Bannerman" event as we had appointments in Bundaberg - one of which was recording more poems with Rick!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines