Award Winning Australian Writing

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Brenda Joy

Award Winning Australian Writing

Post by Brenda Joy » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:15 pm

Have just heard that my poem 'Solace' which won the 2017 Boyup Brook Writing Competition attached to the BB Country Music Festival, has been included in Melbourne Books, '2017 Award Winning Australian Writing' which presents award winning poems (of all genres) and short stories from all around Australia -- www.melbournebooks.com.au www.awardwinningaustralianwriting.com.au

In 2016, although David Campbell and Jacqui Merckenslager had writing included, mine was the only poem with rhyme and metre. Hopefully, this year, there will be more poems of our genre. If you hear that any of your writing will be in the book, it would be great if you could pass this on to Shelley or to me so that we can promote it, and you, on our Facebook page.

Every time any one of us gets something into a predominantly free verse environment is another step forward. :D :D
Sing HU to open your heart.

Shelley Hansen

Re: Award Winning Australian Writing

Post by Shelley Hansen » Tue Jun 27, 2017 4:45 pm

Wow! Good on you Brenda, many congratulations!

As you say, it's great that traditional Aussie rhyming verse is being recognised in an arena dominated by free verse and other genres.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Tue Jun 27, 2017 6:54 pm

That's good news, Brenda. My "A Man Alone", which won the bush poetry section of the 2017 Laura Literary Awards, will also be included...so that's at least two rhyming poems! I've sent it to Neil as well.

Cheers
David

Brenda Joy

Post by Brenda Joy » Wed Jun 28, 2017 11:39 am

Congratulations David, I am not surprised. Tom Mc has one in too so that is three. That is two years in a row for Laura too so an extended accolade for the Rocky River 'Riters also.
BJ
Sing HU to open your heart.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Jun 30, 2017 5:38 pm

Congratulations David and Tom also.
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Thu Jul 20, 2017 5:42 pm

Hi All

Keep an eye on the AWAW Facebook page. I've discovered in a roundabout way (I'm not on Facebook) that they're publishing a few lines from a successful poem/short story each day and an excerpt from my "A Man Alone" went up on July 15. So others from the ABPA will presumably also appear and some "likes" would certainly help to lift the rhyming verse profile!

Cheers
David

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:14 am

Thanks for this "heads up" David - I'm not a follower of the AWAW Facebook page, but I will speedily remedy that and help in my small way to widen the circle of viewings!

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Jul 21, 2017 2:34 pm

Well done everyone
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Thu Aug 31, 2017 9:47 am

Last night I went to the launch of this anthology. Max and Jacqui Merckenschlager were also there, and both Max and I were able to read our poems, which meant that two of the five readings were traditional verse…a great opportunity for promotion and a reaffirmation of the support that Melbourne Books has given to us over the years.

It’s the tenth anniversary edition, and, although I’ve only been able to glance through it at this early stage, it provides a valuable snapshot of what is happening in today’s Australian writing competitions. Much of the book is, understandably given their comparative length, devoted to short stories, but about 50 pages showcase poetry competitions ranging from those which offer first prizes in the thousands of dollars through to those with only a couple of hundred dollars available. Poetic styles range from a variety of free verse forms through haiku to our tightly structured rhyming verse, and there are three poems written by children from last year’s Dorothea Mackellar Competition, which Stephen judged.

Apart from Max and I, Brenda, Tom, and Will are also featured, so, given that Melbourne Books (unlike the Puncher and Wattman anthology) is enthusiastically supporting bush verse, please return the favour by buying a copy (or copies!). It costs $29.95 and can be ordered via the AWAW website (http://www.melbournebooks.com.au/produc ... iting-2017)

Happy reading!

David

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Aug 31, 2017 12:35 pm

Thanks very much David - and congratulations again to you, Brenda, Tom, Will, Max and Jacqui.

As you say, it's great to see the inclusion of rhyming verse in this anthology. Details including the link for purchasing have been posted on ABPA Facebook page, so hopefully some of our members will support Melbourne Books by purchasing a copy.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines