Kurumbede Stirrup Irons.

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Duncan Williams

Kurumbede Stirrup Irons.

Post by Duncan Williams » Tue Mar 31, 2015 11:12 am

Back in August 2011 i attended a historic clearing sale at property Kurumbede formally owned by the family of Famous Australian poet Dorothy Mackellar. being a horse person myself i looked through all the horse gear that was for auction
, and made my bid on a box of stirrup irons around about twelve or thirteen pair, three bar ,four bar and side saddle.
i knew myself these items had strong connections to Dorothy Mackellar and her family property Kurumbede and the old woolshed where she was said to have wrote ' My Country' the famous Australian Poem.
After returning home i sorted through the stirrup irons and to my surprise i found a matching pair branded, Nineteen fifteen. that was made by the company ' Shearer '.
This year these stirrup irons are one hundred year old with a strong connection to a famous Australian poetry family, and Iam giving any historic and Australian Poetry associations the chance to do an article for research on this historic item. you can contact myself. Duncan Williams on 0488395540.