Passing of Barry Lake

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Vic Jefferies

Passing of Barry Lake

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:21 am

It is with deep regret that I report the passing of Barry Lake on Tuesday 2 September after a short illness.
Barry was a staunch supporter of the ABPA and an avid collector and presenter of bush poetry. He was well known in the bush poetry and folk music festival scenes as a poet, noted compere and volunteer worker.

A memorial service will be held for Barry on Thursday 11 September at 1pm in the Uniting Church, Wagonga Street (Princes Highway) Narooma.

william williams

Re: Passing of Barry Lake

Post by william williams » Wed Sep 10, 2014 4:18 pm

Vic could you in kindly pass on my condolence thank you. Both he and his wife were wonderful people

Bill Williams

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Wed Sep 10, 2014 9:02 pm

I am sorry Bill, but I wont be able to make it to Narooma tomorrow for the service. Barry will be missed by many around the poetry and folk music scene as well as the motor home groups. He was a strong supporter of this association over many years and it is sad to have to report his passing.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Sep 12, 2014 7:39 am

Thanks Vic for posting this notice.

The blame for me getting into the Bush Poetry world is shared by you and Barry. Barry was always so supportive of my efforts, specially when I first 'got up'. He would always look at me and make sure we had eye contact before he signalled a thumbs up. Then Later he would take me aside and give me a little advice. So encouraging for a newcomer. Always positive.
And then just watching his performances was a lesson on 'what to do'.
His skill as a Yarn Spinner was also a standard to aim for. He also undertook fostering the Yarn Spinning competition at the National Folk Festival. This year Barry was not at the National FF and the running of this event fell on me. I hope I did him proud. He will be sorely missed at many of the southern Folk Festivals.

Unfortunately we were in far north Queensland and could not attend his farewell. However he will live on in many hearts and minds.
Zondrae King
a woman of words