IPSWICH POETRY FEAST 2021

For posting notices of interest to members - notices that may not make it to the Mag or the Web-site.
All Forum Visitors can view but only ABPA Members can post and reply.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

IPSWICH POETRY FEAST 2021

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Wed Apr 14, 2021 3:07 pm

I have had a few people ask me what is happening in 2021 with the Ipswich Poetry Feast - I received this notification from the Ipswich City Council this morning ....

Good morning Maureen
Your enquiry regarding the Ipswich Poetry Feast was forwarded to me for response.
Unfortunately, at this stage I am unable to provide confirmation in regards to the status of the competition. You are correct in that it usually opens in April to coincide with the Poets’ Breakfast at Walloon. We were in the process of organising a breakfast when the most recent Covid restrictions came into place. This was immediately placed on hold however we will once again start looking at how this event might go ahead in a modified Covid safe manner.
Our entire Ipswich Poetry Feast program has been under review owing to significant changes in regards to sponsorship, patrons, community involvement and of course the impact of Covid on last year’s program.
We have always greatly appreciated the support that you have shown toward the Ipswich Poetry Feast both as an entrant and through your online poetry advocacy role. As soon as I have further information on the 2021 Ipswich Poetry Feast program I guarantee that I will give you an update.
Kind regards
Carol
Carol Moore | Library Programs Coordinator
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Shelley Hansen

Re: IPSWICH POETRY FEAST 2021

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Apr 14, 2021 9:46 pm

Mmm ... interesting, Maureen!

Let's hope it does go ahead. It's a competition we'd hate to lose because it provides so many opportunities for young poets.
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Apr 27, 2021 2:11 pm

It's not looking good Shelley - we have a new council and our main supporter,backbone and driving force of the IPF was Councillor David Pahlke - it was very much his baby, but at the moment all I am hearing is a deathly silence. :shock: .

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat Jun 05, 2021 11:17 am

Not looking good - just received this from David Pahlke ......
I’m not kept in the loop anymore and I would not be surprised to see ICC can it - No Councillor is championing the cause anymore
To me it seems like a foregone conclusion that we have lost it :(

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:27 pm

Some time ago I decided to 'play dumb' insofar as knowing anything from this Forum, and write to them to ask about it directly. My three emails - most recently a week and half ago - have all received no response whatsoever, which says it all I guess....

There are few enough of these wonderful competitions available nowadays, so it is incredibly sad to lose this one, which I've supported for more years than I can count and is particularly good because of its many categories for young people interested in writing traditional poetry...

:(

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sat Jun 05, 2021 4:49 pm

Thanks for the update, Catherine.

I agree, very sad to lose this competition, particularly from the point of view of young writers and novice writers. Once these competitions are lost, they are very rarely reinstated.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:33 pm

Hi Everyone...Just letting you know that I received this today, so it does indeed look as it it's as we feared - at least for now....

Unfortunately, at this stage I am unable to provide any updates on the competition. Our entire Ipswich Poetry Feast program has been under review owing to a range of factors that have had a significant impact on the Poetry Feast as a whole as well as individual events associated with this. Covid had a major impact on the program in 2020 with the Poets’ Breakfast/Official Launch having to be cancelled and our highlight event, the Awards Presentation not being able to go ahead in its usual format. We were in the process of planning our 2021 breakfast when everything was put on hold owing to the April Qld outbreak. Other external factors impacting the future direction of the Ipswich Poetry Feast relate to sponsorship and the level of local support for the competition.

We have always greatly appreciated the support that you have shown toward the Ipswich Poetry Feast and appreciate your wanting to pass this information on to other poets. I’ll make to update you when decisions have been made. In the interim, please don’t hesitate to contact me if you have any further questions or concerns.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Jul 05, 2021 1:01 pm

The same response that I got from Carol.

I suspect that with the death of Reg Grundy, the main sponsor, and the retirement from council of David Pahlke, the impetus for this competition has now been lost.

Time will tell I suppose but it's not looking good .... and so much hard work went into this over the years

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:55 pm

Hi Maureen

I mysteriously received a 2020 entry form the other day.
Not sure where it came from or who sent it, I have checked out everything I can think of on my computer - but not clue.
I switched on the computer and the printer and out it popped - Must have been a computer glitch somehow?

Terry

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Aug 10, 2021 11:21 am

Might have been meant to show 2021 Terry as they have just reopened the contest.