THE OPAL DAYS (2)

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Heather

Re: THE OPAL DAYS (2)

Post by Heather » Sat May 28, 2016 10:09 pm

Terry I find your reminiscences just as interesting at those of Henry Lawson - it's just a different time, a different space. :)

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat May 28, 2016 10:49 pm

Thanks Heather
Mind you if mine were a tenth as good as Henry's, I'd be rapt.

But you're right, we must write about our own times, in my case that gives me over 70 years - well the last 50 odd years of it anyway.

There are so many stories I could tell that may be of interest to the right readers I suppose; I've been surprised at the interest shown here to the stories I've written so far.

Perhaps you're right and I should consider writing a few more while my mind and memory are still in reasonable shape - I think?

I reckon the same applies to our poetry, it's often mentioned that we need to find modern Henry or Banjo. (some hope)
I think the other thing we need to find are the subjects to write about today, that catches the imagination of a fair percentage of the population; No mean feat when you think of the various forms of entertainment we have to compete with.
There are some wonderful writers around as you know, but I don't think to my knowledge anyone has managed to really capture the imagination of even a small section of the community. we're just small fish swimming in an even smaller bowl.

Cheers Terry

thestoryteller

Post by thestoryteller » Sun Jul 17, 2016 8:47 am

I remember when I wrote Charlie's story Terry, In Days Gone By. He couldn't see how folk would be interested
but it was a great account of his years from when he arrived as a Dreadnought Boy in Sydney and then taken to Cowra
and eventually walked from Nyngan to the Gulf.

https://app.box.com/s/dwddustcjvbswyw0o7wj

http://users.tpg.com.au/thegrey/InDaysGoneBy.htm

Charlie was in his 90's when he told me the story and sadly died after a car accident not long after it was published.

He was a great old timer. Loved his tin and gold mining.

Merv.
Some days your the pidgeon and other days the statue.

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Mar 14, 2017 2:27 pm

Thanks Merv

Not quite 90 yet mate but still getting a bit long in the tooth none the less.

Terry