49 Raging Rapids and a Deep Dark Pool

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Thu Dec 01, 2011 5:58 am

© Stephen Whiteside 01.12.2011

Horatio felt excited to be back on the river once more. He grabbed one of the sturdier-looking paddles and began paddling towards the centre of the stream. It was definitely an improvement. They now had a range of paddles heaped together in the middle of the raft - short paddles, long paddles, thin paddles, fat paddles; paddles made with many fine twigs bound together, and others comprising just a few thick sticks. It was going to fascinating to experiment with them all.

For the first time, however, since he had left home, he regretted having abandoned his helmet, shield and sword. They would have been so useful - the shield and helmet to ward off predators, like that nasty owl, and the sword to slash his way through the reeds and bullrushes. Of course, all the wild animals coped without such equipment, but was it a case of developing alternative skills, or did they simply not know what they were missing?

Speaking of owls, Horatio’s shoulder still ached. It was stiff, too. It had felt wonderful in the water, but this paddling was already really testing it out. Clearly, he was going to have to pace himself, and it would doubtless be very painful by the end of the day.

Still, the sun was shining, the river was swift, and the way looked clear. It was a good day to be alive. What is more, he had his best friend beside him to keep him company.

Of course, the short paddles were for Magnifico and the longer paddles for himself. Magnifico didn’t seem to be in the mood for paddling at the moment, but that was no matter. Horatio knew him to be a somewhat reluctant traveller, despite his show of bravado at the launch that morning. Even though Magnifico was exceptionally strong for a mouse, he was still only a mouse, and Horatio imagined that most of the paddling would, at the end of the day, be left to him.

Once they were in the middle of the stream, Horatio was able to cease paddling, other than the occasional dip in the water to stop the raft from spinning. The river had become much broader now, and rapids were now a thing of the past.

But Horatio spoke - or at least thought - too soon! They rounded a bend to find a long stretch of white water right in front of them! They were upon them before they had time to think. What is more, a large rock loomed up dead ahead, threatening to dash their tiny craft to pieces!

While Horatio stood frozen in horror, Magnifico leapt into action! He grabbed one of the short paddles, and began pumping his little legs furiously back and forth over the side of the raft. Sure enough, the vessel responded sailing harmlessly down past the threatening boulder. But now a new hazard presented itself. Magnifico raced over to the other side and began paddling. Once again, disaster was averted.

And such was the pattern throughout the whole course of the rapids. Magnifico leapt from side to side, paddling furiously, saving them from disaster after disaster. Horatio tried to join in, but his reflexes always seemed to be too slow, and he seemed to be just getting in the way more often than not. In the end, he decided the best he could do was keep out of Magnifico’s way. He stood back, and watched in awe.

At last they were squirted out the other end like a cork from a bottle. In flat water at last, they had - somehow - survived their terrible ordeal. Thanks to Magnifico. Thanks to Horatio too, of course, Horatio told himself, because he had helped to make the paddles, but they had actually been Magnifico’s idea originally. Hmm. This Magnifico was a pretty handy fellow to have around. It was all very well to have a dream, but Horatio would have been lost without Magnifico, he had to admit.

Horatio looked at Magnifico sheepishly.

Thanks, Magnifico. You saved the day. I had no idea you could do that.

Neither did I, to be honest.

I’m sorry I wasn’t much help to you. I just seemed to get in the way whenever I tried.

Don’t worry about it. You did your best. We all have different talents. Seems one of mine is paddling!

It sure is, Magnifico. It sure is.

The pool they were now on looked deep and dark. Trees from either bank leaned out far across the water, partially blocking the sun. As before, Horatio and Magnifico found they had almost run out of momentum before they were halfway across. It would have taken them forever to traverse the pool but fortunately, they now had their paddles!

Each dipped his blade in the water. (Well, they couldn’t really be called blades. They were like miniature rafts themselves, but they substituted for blades.) It was gratifying to see the little raft respond to their efforts. It moved much faster.

Splash! Something had leapt out of the water behind them! Horatio and Magnifico both turned their heads in terror.

Horatio: What was that?

I have no idea.

Silence.

Horatio again: I don’t like this place.

Me neither.

Cautiously, Horatio and Magnifico turned their backs on the spot where they had heard the loud splash, and resumed their paddling. They were much more subdued now, though, and tried to paddle as silently as possible, hoping not to disturb whatever angry creature of malicious spirit lived in this part of the river.

It was a relief when the river widened once more, the sun beat down once more upon their heads, the surface of the water began once more to sparkle, and the strength of the current began to pick up.

What had made that splash? They would never know. Then again, they didn’t really want to.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au