Hi from Allan Cropper 'Cropduster'

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
Cropduster

Hi from Allan Cropper 'Cropduster'

Post by Cropduster » Sun Jan 25, 2015 2:13 pm

Hi everyone. I am a newbie to ABPA. Not exactly a country lad. I was born and raised in Newcastle. I worked in Maitland for six years, then Armidale for a short spell, before moving to Sydney, where I have remained since 1990. I was introduced to a children's book by Graeme Base called 'The Eleventh Hour' when my daughter was about five years old, and I decided to have a crack at writing something along those lines. The resultant story was called 'The Ghost of Cockle Creek'. I have posted the first eight verses in the children's forum page to get some feedback. I am happy to post the entire story if other members of this sight would like to see how the story plays out. Over the years I have written a lot of other poems and songs, I have recorded a few original songs, although I would never consider myself a musician or performer. I am lucky enough to have a close friend with a recording studio who can turn a sow's ear into a silk purse when it comes to producing music. 'Ears that Hear' is the name of studio for those who may be interested in recording something at some stage, if you will forgive the shameless plug. Anyhow, I am enjoying reading the works of other more experienced poets, and posting new and older poems in the hope that you might enjoy them. Thank you for accepting me into your fold, and I hope to meet other members in the future. Cheers. Allan

Neville Briggs

Re: Hi from Allan Cropper 'Cropduster'

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:21 pm

Good on you Allan, you'll be right mate, if you have a thick hide. :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Cropduster

Post by Cropduster » Sun Jan 25, 2015 4:24 pm

To put yourself out there for the scrutiny of others, you have to have a thick hide :D

Thanks Neville (BTW that was my father's name)

Cheers

Allan

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun Jan 25, 2015 7:44 pm

Now we know where you get your talent from :lol:
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Jan 26, 2015 5:59 am

Welcome Allan,

always good to have some new blood. It seems to have the effect of spurring we older members on to greater heights. I have a number of poems posted on the site. The easiest way to access them is to go to the members index of poems which is towards the top of the site. Although my stuff is from a woman's view I'm sure there will be some you can relate to.

I'll have a look at your children's story too. I don't know squat about getting published. I actually have an illustrator working on images to accompany some poems with a kids book in mind. I have hopes for such a project sometime in the near future.

Again welcome, I hope you find some people with similar ideas to you here and get to feel at home real soon.

ps If you want to meet some of the ABPA members in person there are several who go to the National Folk Festival every year. It is on in the ACT over the Easter period. If you look at my facebook page there is a photo of a few of us.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Cropduster

Post by Cropduster » Mon Jan 26, 2015 8:08 am

Thanks Zondrae

I will certainly look forward to reading your poems. Funnily enough, some of the songs I have composed over the years are for women. I am not for an instant suggesting that I can write from a woman's perspective, but sometimes the words just write themselves, and if they come out as more suited to a female vocalist, so be it.

Mt partner and I have been talking about visiting the ACT. Easter is difficult for us as Kelly (my partner) has two small children and we don't have family in Sydney to look after them to enable us to get away. But I will see what I can do.

I hope you do get to take a look at The Ghost from Cockle Creek (or at least parts 1 and 2 that I have posted so far). It is more an idea for an illustrated book for parents to read to their children, rather than a story for children to read. I will be interested in any feedback you can provide,

Thank you for your kind welcome. I continue to write daily and I will be posting new material until someone begs me to stop :D

In the mean time I hope you enjoy some of my offerings, and if it spurs others on, all the better

Cheers, and happy Australia Day

Allan

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Feb 02, 2015 8:19 am

Keep writing Allan - its great to read new material - and you've hit the front running with a spot on our FB page already :lol: :lol: A lot of folks would be wondering how you managed that :o :shock:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Feb 02, 2015 9:19 am

Welcome Allan! I'm a fairly recent member myself and look forward to many poetic interchanges!

Cheers, Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon Feb 02, 2015 6:28 pm

Welcome to the crew Allan. Don't need to tell you to dive in - you're already there. Have fun.

Heather :)

Cropduster

Post by Cropduster » Thu Feb 05, 2015 8:44 pm

Thanks everyone for your kind and generous welcome.

I will continue to write and post, and I only hope that you enjoy at least a few of my poems.

I tend to write daily, so please let me know if I am putting up too many poems. I find it therapeutic, and at times invigorating and purifying.

I look forward to reading your comments, and you can be assured I will enjoy reading your poems and posting my own comments.

Cheers everyone :D

Allan