Hi from Rod

Here new members should introduce themselves to the forum
Rod Walford

Hi from Rod

Post by Rod Walford » Mon Apr 14, 2014 5:38 pm

G'day to you all from across the Tasman - my name is Rod Walford, an English poet living in NZ. I have been writing poetry on and off for over 20 years. I feel drawn to write only in rhyme and metre - thus I have not gone down very well with the self-exalted upper echelons of NZ Poetry who worship free verse and to whom all rhyme is considered "doggerel"

I was made aware of your Association by Catherine Lee who featured me in FreeXpression magazine early last year and I have to say it's great to find so many "real" poets all in one place as I was beginning to lament the demise of the rhyming poet. I like the down-to-earth style of the Aussie Bush Poet and feel at home here. I'm quite a shy person so I'm only a writer not a Performance Poet - but I admire those who are!

Bob Pacey

Re: Hi from Rod

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon Apr 14, 2014 6:26 pm

Gidday Rod and welcome mate.

Gees ya asking for trouble a pommie livin in Kiwi land and writing rhyming poetry as well.

We are a pretty friendly lot here so go for it.

We all have our moments . Oh and thanks for introducing yourself a lot of so called members just join and then never seem to come back onto the site I don't know why and still reckon if you have not visited the site for 12 months you should be deleted.

Cheers and Welcome.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Apr 14, 2014 8:08 pm

G'day Rod and welcome - lovely to share a bit of insight as well on what makes you tick. Look forward to seeing more of your poetry on site here. As Bob has already said we are a pretty friendly mob and none of us bite - the odd hissy fit sometimes but they never last long and they are never vindictive. You will I am sure make friends here who will be very supportive - so please don't be shy, wade on in....and have some fun

Cheers

Maureen :D
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Mon Apr 14, 2014 9:30 pm

G'day Rod,

Yes like you I have been 'told' by the self ego flattering Uni types that Rhyming poetry is a lesser form.
I can't help rhyming. I catch myself rhyming (in my head) when I am thinking about other things. You will feel at home here.

Why not try your hand at a competition? Go back to the home page and the events section of this site. The Kembla Flame is a fairly new competition being that this is the third year it has been run. It would be great for the comp as well as yourself, if the trophy became an international contest. I wouldn't mind the extra postage to mail it over the ditch. Best of luck with it all and keep writing and rhyming.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Rod Walford

Post by Rod Walford » Tue Apr 15, 2014 8:52 am

Thank you Bob, Marty Maureen and Zondrae for your kind words - I will try my best to be pro-active!
Can never agree that rhyming is the lesser form - someone once described free verse as like playing tennis with the net down - of course it wasn't me who said that and I couldn't possibly comment LOL!
Thank you Zondrae I will have a look at the comps and the one you suggested in particular.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Apr 15, 2014 9:14 am

Hi Rod and welcome.

Enjoy the poetry and the fun.

Heather :)

Rod Walford

Post by Rod Walford » Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:58 am

Heather wrote:Hi Rod and welcome.

Enjoy the poetry and the fun.

Heather :)
Thank you Heather :P

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Wed Apr 16, 2014 7:46 pm

G'day Rod, and Welcome ...

Don't worry about the lazy 'free' versers. It takes a lot of effort to write in rhyme and metre - a LOT more than 'free'. Many of our Forum write in all THREE styles, Rhyme, free AND Doggerel!! :D
Whereas the 'others' can only write in TWO styles, free and crap - and they're both interchangeable ... :lol:

I'm sure you'll enjoy it here and once again, Welcome ... :)

PS. If you want any help just ask, we don't bite - really ... :D

Rod Walford

Post by Rod Walford » Wed Apr 16, 2014 8:23 pm

Thanks Manfred - appreciate the welcome - and the encouragement - Cheers!

warooa

Post by warooa » Fri Apr 18, 2014 5:55 am

Welcome Rod,

Had a read of a couple of your poems and enjoyed them. Good to hear a voice (albeit a Pommy one :roll: ) from across "the dutch". It's now a truly International forum - oh, wait up, s'pose we do need a Taswegian also.

Cheers, Marty (there's two of us here)