Thank God It's Friday!

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

Thank God It's Friday!

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Sep 23, 2016 9:57 am

Sometimes I find...but then I think, "Oh, well", then somebody gets in my ear and says, "You shouldn't!", but somebody else says, "You must!". It's very confusing - but at other times it all seems crystal clear. "You must follow your own heart!" I hear. But what if you have seven hearts, and they are all going in different directions? Which one to follow? Or do you simply stand still and wait for them all to come back to you? So I spend all day lying in bed. Then I spend the night wandering the streets, or following the river bank listening to the owls, watching the possums dance along the branches of the trees, waiting for the bats to return. Sometimes I say to a bat, "Why don't you spend one day awake - just one day. You'll see a whole new side to the world." But it never does. Is it ignoring me? Or is it deaf? Thank God it's Friday. That's all I can say. But the bats don't pay any respect to Friday. Every day is a weekend for them. Or is it a weekday? I'm told the bats in Bali are not Melbourne bats on holiday, they are just Bali bats. A bit sad, really. So it's back to bed. Left side. Right side. Belly. Back. I don't suffer from sleep apnoea. I suffer from wake apnoea. Wide awake, but unable to breathe. Not indefinitely, of course. I give a big gasp, and start again. I wonder if bats suffer from sleep apnoea. It's very hard to see them breathing at all. They look like they're dead when they wrap their wings around them and hang upside down. I walk past our local colony sometimes, and I don't hear any CPAP machines, but I suppose that doesn't prove anything. Bats don't get Medicare cards, and probably can't afford health insurance. At least our bats don't. I can't imagine it's any better for the bats in Bali.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

David Campbell

Re: Thank God It's Friday!

Post by David Campbell » Fri Sep 23, 2016 12:35 pm

No Stephen, Melbourne bats don't go to Bali for their holidays, they come to our place and fly around our bedroom at night. Microbats. Dunno how they get in. Gives me wake apnoea. We find 'em eventually, dead as doornails. There's one right now lying on the table in the lounge. No health insurance, poor little thing. Couldn't sign the form.

Cheers
David

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Sep 23, 2016 1:19 pm

Pauper's funeral, I suppose?

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Fri Sep 23, 2016 5:23 pm

Enough to drive you batty, Stephen and David!
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri Sep 23, 2016 6:09 pm

Yep. I'll say a few words. Fire the cannon. Lower the little feller into the ground. Then there'll be a wake, of course. All the rellies will fly in. I'll pop a few insects on the barbie. Maybe you and Maggie could come along and do "The Two Bees"?

Cheers
David

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Sep 23, 2016 7:13 pm

Nice one! No pauper, that...