Disgusted

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
r.magnay

Disgusted

Post by r.magnay » Sat May 07, 2016 1:10 pm

I am disgusted, and not just from reading Bobs poem about the marshmallow....what ever that was about, but Sheryl and I went to Coles this morning to buy some flowers for her mother tomorrow and some to put on My Mums grave, (this will be the first mothers day that I have no longer a mother to ring). While we were there Sheryl decided that we might have a tuna mornay for lunch tomorrow, we went to the canned fish section and proceeded to look through the tins of tuna for one from Australia, nothing, even the John West tins had made in Thailand on them!
We live in the fishing capital of Australia, the home of the blue fin tuna and we can't buy a tin of Australian tuna......what is going on?
Ross

Bob Pacey

Re: Disgusted

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat May 07, 2016 1:27 pm

Cannot answer that terry I do not buy fish canned or otherwise I catch my own.

only ever but Prawns and they are clearly labelled Product of Australia,

Hey there is an Idea Mashmellow Prawns mmmmmmmmmmmmmm
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat May 07, 2016 1:31 pm

It's all about the profits Ross. I stopped buying tuna at Coles a long time ago because they replaced the good brands with their own cheaper, imported versions. New labelling laws come in soon - it could be July 1, (I think) and that will advise the percentage of Australian content.

In Victoria, SPC nearly went under but there was a lot of media about it and people went out of their way, and paid a bit more, and the company was given a second chance. We all need to support Australian produce and maybe the new labelling laws will give us a heads up on which companies they are.

Heather :)

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat May 07, 2016 5:29 pm

Dick Smith grocery lines are another that we always buy - Valma's a real stickler for Australian made goods.

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat May 07, 2016 5:31 pm

Something strange is happening here when I post something, it doubled up this time?

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat May 07, 2016 5:46 pm

Fixed ☺

Terry

Post by Terry » Sat May 07, 2016 10:44 pm

Thanks Heather

Another thing that has been happening from time to time, is that I suddenly drop out and have to login again.
It's only been recently, and it's rare for me to have a problem on this site - might be my computer?

Cheers

Terry

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Mon May 09, 2016 3:07 pm

Good on you Ross a subject dear to my heart! After checking out the various brands of tinned sardines I am now forced to buy sardines from Canada. Virtually every other brand is imported from Thailand or China even what used to be the premium brands.
We no longer produce gherkins in this country and most on the shelf come from India. Horror of horrors I checked my medication this morning and one lot of pills come from Cyprus, another packet from India but thankfully non
(as yet) from China.

Recently had a "Fisherman's Plate" in a restaurant and later determined the only Australian content on the entire plate of fish; fish pieces; oysters; prawns; calamari; octopus; crab and chips was the oysters, the chips and the salad! Even worse is when you order barramundi, flat head or whiting then find out it is from Indonesia or Vietnam.

The annoying part is the duplicity of the super markets in selling well known previously Australian manufactured brands that are now produced overseas without telling us. Witness the scandal of the bread that was imported from Ireland and sold here as Australian made.