Why would you bother ???

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Bob Pacey

Why would you bother ???

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Aug 14, 2012 4:36 pm

Just read the guidelines for a certain written competition ?? It states that the winners must be able to be available to present their winning works or prize monies will be forfeited to the foundation running the competition ??

Why would you bother putting the entries out there with such a restriction, Perhaps they want a local poet to win ??? Lost Me .

Bob
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Re: Why would you bother ???

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Aug 14, 2012 5:17 pm

It does seem a move that will limit the potential participants. Very odd. I think that it should be possible to engage a good reader to present any special pieces.

It won't bother me anyway, unless I see things differently, I am not intending to enter any bush poetry writing competitions.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Tue Aug 14, 2012 7:18 pm

It wouldn't be out of school to post them here Bob ...

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Aug 14, 2012 9:27 pm

Agree with you Bob I saw that one and thought exactly the same :? Nothing like outlaying heaps of cash and time to get there to accept a prize of less value. I know it's not all about the money but that would be akin to asking some to fly from WA to Qld to pick up a Bunnings voucher. Ain't going to happen. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Aug 14, 2012 10:25 pm

And whats wrong with a bunnings voucher ?????? :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Get your drift Maussey

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 15, 2012 4:56 pm

You can remember back to last year ???? WoW I can not remember what i did last week.

Bob

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Aug 17, 2012 9:07 pm

Just to keep the records straight,

The competition in question is a fundraiser for a youth centre which was built as a memorial to the two youths who were lost in the Bali bombings. The conditions of entry state that Trophy and Certificate will be forwarded to winners it is only any 'cash' involved that would be withheld. The idea of encouraging poets to attend is to have a concert of the winners that would be a big draw card to raise money for the foundation. They advertise the names of any 'known' poets who will be attending. Winners are advised a week before.

I don't even consider 'cash' when entering competitions. I think it is a very secondary prize, as far as I am concerned. To have a title or trophy would be more attractive to me. (because I haven't won any of the better known comps.) Maybe if I had a couple of Australian Championships or a Golden Damper or (the holy grail) The Bronze Swagman, then I might find cash of interest. I will be entering, mainly to support the competition and the cause. I might even go down to the festival this year if it doesn't clash with anything else I'm booked for.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Aug 17, 2012 10:36 pm

There was no way I picked up on that Zondrae - that is a very worthwhile project to support and IMO if the organizers made that fact the more salient point of their pitch they would be sure to get heaps of entrants. I don't believe in the main people enter comps for cash prizes anyway so doubt any would mind at all if their winnings went to the foundation if they themselves were a no show
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat Aug 18, 2012 6:48 am

Might help with a few more entries if they were to advertise that fact on their entry forms Zondrae but I can still not see a reason to even have any prize money if that sort of restriction is placed on entering. Why just not reduce the prize amount and collect more for the foundation ? Or just have the thropies and use some of the money collected to cover costs for some recognised poets to assist.

There must be some better known poets in the area who could present the winning poems in a good light and provide a show that would attract patrons.

As you say it is not all about the prize money but I just cannot see the point ?

Bob

keats

Post by keats » Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:50 am

Yes, I did pick up on that one and agree with both sides to a point. At least they made it clear in their Advertising that it was a condition of entry, but more thought could have gone into advertising where the money would be going. I saw this once without the facts being advertised and needless to say that Competition never continued. The support of entrants is, obviously, vital and therefore the organisers need to think these things through a bit more before kicking them off. I saw the Ad when it was sent through and must admit that though there was clear mention of the winners needing to be there to collect prize money, there was no certainly no mention of youth centres or the Bali Bombings or anything related. This is something that could attract a lot more entries if made clearer. The mention of 'charity' these days can be as far reaching as Muslim Activists (I know I'm being extreme, but just an example). It only takes another line or two in the advertising.

Neil