Moe, Joe and Larry

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Moe, Joe and Larry

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Jun 30, 2011 7:11 pm

I thought I would put on this totally uninteresting insignificant trivia that no-one will reply to,
but it caught caught my imagination.

I bought a set of DVDs of the Three Stooges.
On the first disc is a short movie of about 20 minutes which appears to be the Three Stooges first film, made in 1934.
The opening credits describe it as a musical and there is a music track playing throughout, but what I thought was interesting is that the entire dialogue of all the actors the film is in rhyming metred verse.

It's called The Women Haters. The three stooges join a misogynists club (I think it's a dig at you know who ) but fall into the usual chaotic strife because they are inevitably attracted to attempting to romance women.

I wondered if anyone else knows of a movie in which the sound track is entirely rhymed verse.
(the Shakespeare ones are not rhymed, they are blank verse )
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

warooa

Re: Moe, Joe and Larry

Post by warooa » Thu Jun 30, 2011 8:41 pm

Interesting, Nev . . . could the idea ever make a resurgance? An epic Australian historic tale played out in rhyme? Maybe Baz Luhrmann missed the calling with his Australia ?

Anywhichway it would be a bit Bollywoodish

Marty

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu Jun 30, 2011 9:01 pm

Love the Three Stooges! Think my favourite was when they played plumbers called to fix a leak at a house where they somehow managed to connect the water pipes to the gas pipes and the electricity supply! There was water coming out of the gas stove, filling the light shades and on on it went. I must have been about twelve and when I saw it still laugh when I think of the film.
They maybe thought of as being corny today but they were pure innovators as witnessed by the length of their popularity and film careers.
Can't think of another movie that was written in rhyming verse but in the back of my mind I seem to recall a film that featured an all negro cast that may have been in rhyme.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Thu Jun 30, 2011 11:31 pm

I dunno if they'd make a movie of it, but some time back Noel Cutler (Oz whip cracking champion...try saying that without getting your 'p's & your 'c's mixed up) & a major poet, put together what he terms 'Balladramas'. Something like a musical but with poems instead of songs. We toured Victoria with 'Meet The Cheeze & Kisses Mate.' I was the 'cheeze & kisses' complete with apron & scarf upside down on my head...& a rolling pin....& Bobby Miller was my long suffering. Milton Taylor was a bloke chucked out of home for answering his wife's query about how big her bum looked & wanted to go duck shooting with Noel. It was a blitzer & packed the punters in. I'd love to see some more 'Balladramas' these days. Tons of fun.

BTW I bought a 3 Stooges DVD just for nostalgia's sake. Guess what DVD the Grandies scream for EVERY time? Best baby sitting DVD's in the world.

Goodo

Glenny
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:49 am

I loved the three stooges as a kid but dad always used to say "what a lot of bloody rot!".........I have since had a look at some footage and know exactly what he meant!
Ross

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:13 am

The Three Stooges are a little bit old for us young blokes but I can sit and watch or listen to Benny Hill. The Goodies and Faulty Towers for ages.

Does that rate ????

Oh can remember one film that I went to watch once where the only word spoken was Rubarb !!! Stiil mamaged to follow the whole story line though. Was one of Eric Stikes.

Young Bob.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:05 pm

I dunno about epic Warooa, this one I mentioned is only 20 minutes. Some people in Victoria had a go, not long ago, of reciting C J Dennis' Glugs of Gosh as a play.

Vic, one that I always remember is when Curly Joe has to deliver a block of ice to a house at the top of a very long flight of stairs. When he gets to the top his block of ice has shrunk and he is holding in the tongs a tiny icicle.

I agree Glenny. If they have opera with singing why not balladrama with poetry. Shakespeare did it ....sort of :D

Ah Ross, When we grow up we are so busy being sensible we lose the wonder and sense of fun at the ridiculous that children possess. Maybe I'm trying to regain it, I think they call that the second childhood . :lol:

Bob, poor chap, your education is sadly deficient. Tim Brooke-Taylor, one of the Goodies is an excellent wordsmith, I've heard him doing word games and he is brilliant.

Did you mean Eric Sykes. He's still hanging in there, in his 90s I think. a brilliant comedian.

I wonder where to find all our contemporary brilliant Australian wordsmith comedians, apart from bush poetry performers that is. Roy and HG are the only ones I can think of. Oh and Patrick Cook and Jean Kittson.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Fri Jul 01, 2011 3:32 pm

HG Wells(?) and Brian Doyle; John Clarke ( a nuzeelander I know) Barry Humphries; on a good day Clive Robinson and I would include the best mc in Australia, Bert Newton to name the few who spring to mind.
What about the three stooges when they ran the dry cleaning shop and Mo puts Larry's head in the steam press and the steam comes out of his mouth?
And they reckon the kids are exposed to too much violence these days!

william williams

Post by william williams » Fri Jul 01, 2011 4:27 pm

Shep Larry and Moe who could forget them.
Those were the days when slap stick quick witted comedies and quick retorts were all the rage, where words were missheard or missunderstood and quick retorts were the answers of rage
Where us kids were alive? Full of laughter and glee, as we clapped and cheered at their folly. Yes, those were the days, when happiness filled the screen.
I still have in my bag of tricks a 16 mm film of steam boat Willie(MICKEY MOUSE) when he was a stick figure in Walt Disney’s first cartoon I have had it copied into a VHS and now soon to be Copied into a CD or ( DVD) if I remember it was made in 1932 or 34 but still my grand kids still laugh at it.

Bill Williams

warooa

Post by warooa » Fri Jul 01, 2011 6:09 pm

That'd be an interesting challenge, Nev . . to write a 20 minute play set in rhyme. Like Glenny and co's "Meet the Cheese and Kisses mate" which sounds a hoot. I'm involved with a drama group who are currently working on a couple of different scripts and productions so that will go into the melting pot of ideas.

Marty