Interesting article

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Interesting article

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Mon Jan 23, 2012 11:07 am

(nom di PLOOHM)
French for “pen name”; an invented name under which an author writes. Mark Twain was the nom de plume of Samuel L. Clemens. A nom de plume is something that the Author or perhaps the publisher chooses for a writer/poet

Totally different from a nick name which is something others usually tag you with , sometimes but not always done as a gesture of affection. :lol: :lol: Depends on how thin skinned or insecure you are as to how you react to it. ;)
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

croc

Post by croc » Tue Jan 24, 2012 12:56 am

Bob... G’day.
‘Moira Allen...’ I reckon he was a bloke called ‘Allen Moira’ and the ‘Moira’ bit got too much for his masculinity, so he just swapped them around. Probably a tax swindle and a social security rort in it somewhere, just to keep it worthwhile; so as to speak.
“I don't want my relatives/friends/coworkers to know that...” what’s a ‘coworker’
“No one will respect me because I'm a ------( sadistic, sarcastic, arrogant, evil bastard)
“The days of having to write under a male pseudonym simply because you're a woman...” Yeah well, old mate saw it the other way round... eh. Old A.M. turned into M.A. at the stroke of a mark 10 racing biro... the rest is all unsaid.
“If you're writing in a genre you fear others won't respect, keep in mind that this is their problem, not yours”. Yeah well... it should be absolutely no-ones ‘problem’. You hardly go sticking stuff about spaceships on a submarine forum... a weak antonym I know, but it serves the purpose. That boils down to ‘time and place’ and that absolutely eliminates any of ‘their problem’ b/s.

Hey Nev... Mate, I used to start work at six in the morning and I had about a quarter of an hours ride to work. Fred Dagg came on the radio at quarter to six and didn’t finish until six... so I was always and forever, a quarter hour late each day....( old freddy boy went on 5 mornings a week)
The boss put up with it for a little while, and then one week I noticed I had been docked one and a quarter hours. I never said a word about it, but was so intent on hearing Fred Dagg, that I was always there at quarter past six. When he had me in bright and early on Saturday mornings to run the show (...an offset printing factory) I always used to book an hour and a quarter extra... that evened it out in my book.
He forgot the number of lunchtimes I worked through when he got his backside in a twist over a double booked machine. Good old Fred Dagg. I wonder where he is now, what he’s doing, and does he ever know how much crap and contrivance I put up with as a dedicated listener

Maureen ... if the cat had kittens in the baker’s oven... would they call them biscuits.

Bob... you can copyright it under the name of your pet hamster as long as you can prove the bloody hamster wrote it. That’s pretty much the shortened version of copyright... just prove you wrote it... and it’s yours. ...croc is my Nom-de-Plume anyhow, my nick name is

Robyn... I stand as a friend of the court.

Morning Neville... “You, Sir, being a teacher should know this type of thing”. That sticks you in your place Nev... Strait orf the mark. Onya Zondrae...Yeah, and the one you open with... “Sorry to be a pain ladies...” Very well said indeed

Warooa... Mate... that fair cracked me right up. Precise, to the point, no frills, bang... in she went. Yeah... good one mate.
Ross... you only have rocks in your head if you haven’t got a bloody good air conditioner in the ute, mate.

“Good on you Neville... I am always willing to be taught...” Er... Nev, what’s going on here...does Zondrae still think you’re a teacher, or does she now wish to be taught how to be a walloper.

Robyn. I think “... proper language ...” is preferred. What with slang, rap and a whole host of other overseas influence on every day language, via whatever media you care too choose these days... the ones who don’t use it are the ones who don’t understand it. A sad fact of life grows sadder by the day; the users of proper language, (...by choice) and the ones who do not understand it, (...also by choice, e.g. easier to pick up street talk) have a rapidly widening gap. The numbers are stacked well against those who understand, practice, and prefer ‘proper language’.

Nev...“The name your parent's gave should be adequate...” Well Nev, it used to be mate; it used to be adequate to the ‘te’, until round about the time they started taking the spokes out of motorbike wheels, and then it all turned to slurry after that. It became like buying a pup from a litter, “We won’t name it till we see it”. Well... some folk grew old enough to not like being called ‘Ebenezer Dinkybell’ when they were a bloke, so they changed it to suit themselves I guess; John Smith is a lot easier to digest.

Bill the battler...“An interesting question that.
What is a Non de Plume, or what is a nick name
Now I get called Bushie, The old Battler, bugger lugs, Bill, Pop, Dad, Grand pa
Now I answer to all of them and a few more unprintable one as well are they not Non de Plumes. Or is Non de Plume only a written name...Bill Williams

Bill, old mate. a Nom-de-Plume’ is translated from the French language as... ‘Name of Pen’. I would have thought the whole world at large can call you Bill, Bushie et all, they cannot call you ‘Pop, Dad, Grand pa’. So some are endearments, the rest are nick names ... not Noms-de-Plume’

Maureen... ‘Samuel L. Clemens’... now there’s a bloke... eh. He used to be (when he was alive) the bloke who plumbed the river for depth as the big sailing ships came into river-mouths or harbours. He had a rope, shed loads of feet long, and on the end of it there was a lead sash weight from his departed great grandmother lounge window; on the end of that was a fair old dollop of tallow.
He slung it over the side and when it hit bottom, he did a quick count of the knots... each knot was a fathom,(1.83m/6ft) and then he’d yell out to the bloke who was steering... “By the mark... Twain. Twain was ‘two’ in those days, so old mate was in two fathoms of water. Then he would haul it up like buggary and tell the bloke what the bottom was made of, because a fair old bit had stuck to the tallow.
So old mate in the wheelhouse knew he was in 12 ft of water with a sandy bottom.
So old mate Samuel C. falls in the briny one day when he heaved the line a bit hard and has a close encounter of the worst kind with something very big in the water... probably a shark... and while he’s in there he thinks ‘buggar this, I’ll take up writing when I get back to terra firmer’, (... and the more firmer, the less terror) and he made it; and when he cracked his first novel about some sea faring youth, he had a flash back to when he fell overboard in to the jaws of jaws, and he remembered as he went overboard yelling “........Mark Twain” and he thought ‘yeah buggar it... for luck and memory’.
And so he did.. ‘Samuel L. Clemens’ hadn’t brought him much luck as a worker, probably a fair bit when Jaws never got him... but by and large M. Twain was his go... for luck and old time memory. Probably a tax dodge and a social welfare rort going in there as well...
All the best folk...
...croc

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Thu Jan 26, 2012 8:08 pm

....got a good a/c in my ute croc, but that isn't much good when you are climbing a 20 metre tank stand , or trying to wire up a bore panel out in the middle 0f nowhere!....like I said...I must have rocks in me head! ;)
Ross

croc

Post by croc » Thu Jan 26, 2012 9:04 pm

:cry:
I don't want you to have rocks in your head old mate...
...c

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Fri Jan 27, 2012 6:38 am

...it's alright mate, I am working hard on getting at least some of them out this week!... ;)
Ross

croc

Post by croc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 9:25 am

:D

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Fri Jan 27, 2012 12:26 pm

Onya croc,

When I refer to a 'teacher' I don't always mean someone with a formal qualification. Does your Mrs have a teaching certificate? She doesn't to my knowledge - but she certainly has taught me (and others) so much about poetry. And for this, I can never thank her enough.
The only time I get upset about people 'throwing eggs' at my writing is if they have never had a go themselves. I'll never be a Shakespeare, but I love what I do and I have been approached by a few people who like it too, that's enough for me. I even have a few 'fans' who can't wait for my next book, there are about five at the last count. Having said that I had better go check my calendar. I've got a book to get together by Easter.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Jan 27, 2012 2:14 pm

Is that 5 books or 5 fans Zondrae :lol: :lol: :lol: 'cause you can up the fan count to 6 if you want to count me in as one ;) :P

What program do you use to do your books Zondrae? Is it just a Mac one? Reason I am asking is because I am busy typing and illustrating my Mums story and have decided if I can and if it is not too difficult. to put it out in a book form - one for each family member but I have not the foggiest idea how to go about it. Any clues would be helpful....If you have any ideas - or anyone out there has, perhaps you could PM them to me so that we don't steal Bobs bit of cotton.
Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

croc

Post by croc » Fri Jan 27, 2012 10:14 pm

Gday Zondrae...
In answer to your question. “Does your Mrs have a teaching certificate? She doesn't to my knowledge...”

Glenny started her work career as a manager in a large corporate business, and later sat on the board of directors. She qualified and was certificated to train sales staff within the corporation, to the highest corporate standard expected.
Glenny has been a professional entertainer since 1994. She is on the list of professional judges for both state, and Australian championships; written and performance.

Her painfully gained talents, which were hard won in the early days when Bush Poetry was a male dominated thing, have now been worth the effort. Glenny is qualified, with the appropriate certification, to teach in schools; She has had a great deal of success in teaching poetry in rural schools. In doing this, she not only teaches Bush Poetry, but Classical Ballads as well... depending on the age of the students; she will also split a group into sections depending on what individual children wish to do. I’ll stick to renovating properties, it’s easier.

The good woman has taken every Australian trophy there is to take, some twice, and as Australian champion some years ago, she won a trip all expenses paid for her and her husband at the time, to America in order to teach and perform her talents over there. Now, in the time when she should be sat in her office doing her own thing... writing, she will still give time and effort to those who ask her professional advise... until 4am, often enough.
Somewhere Zondrae, in the depths of Glenny’s meticulous filing system, I am fairly confidant of the fact that she has a teaching certificate... but I’ll check it out for sure for you when my beloved gets back from Tamworth.

“The only time I get upset about people 'throwing eggs' at my writing is if they have never had a go themselves.”
No... never get upset at them Zondrae, for the God of poetry sayeth “They are the humorists... the court jesters... buffoon Pierrot de plumes ... with these you can have a good old giggle. It also follows that you can giggle at the ones who chuck eggs that have had a go... to whatever extent; they are the ones that generally chuck in a bit of good advice as sarcasm... “...but who am I to say I woulda done ‘such and such---’ that type of rubbish,.... take no notice of the feral approach, have a look at what they ‘woulda done’ and weigh it up... see if it works... you don’t even have to answer the post if you don’t want to.

In short, don’t let them in but take the gift they offer. Sounds terrible eh? Well when they can say what they want to say sensibly and in readable English, then you let them in... and still take the gifts they offer. That’s learning all round.

There was only one Shakespeare, and I doubt there will ever be another. You are probably one of the few who actually enjoy what they do... I work all day, it’s a job, I do it to a professional standard, learned through harsh apprenticeship and experience. It’s more or less clockwork, and it earns a quid.... sometimes. I don’t dislike what I do, neither do I hold any fondness for it. That’s what needs doing... do it, get paid, pay the bills, go broke. My employment is like a cyclic chain. A drives B drives C drives D drives A.

In the real fact of very basic life, there has to be only one other who believes in you and likes what you do, to then believe wholly in yourself and be good at what you enjoy doing. If I started to enjoy my work, I would become far too picky with little things, spend far too long on what doesn’t need the time, and go bust altogether. But with something you love doing, it is almost mandatory to do those things. And that takes time and patience.... and I ain’t blessed with much of either.

Don’t worry about not/being another Shakespeare... nobody is out there to try and beat you... the race isn’t on.

Good luck with the book, I am sure it will be on time. Last night we had three inches of rain in 24 hours, and the local creeks are at the peak. Any more tonight and I could be under a few inches of water by the morning. I hope not. Where I am now was under ten feet of water this time last year. I am out in the bush; wind is blowing the white cedars and the wet has started the frogs and the cane toads orf...
I had little sleep last night for the rain on the tin roof, and then the frogs and the cane toads, and now at the peak of it all tonight the crickets have started to chirrup their hearts out. I have moths, tiny flies, bigger than tiny flies, and some strange creature probably David Attenborough would find hard to identify, scrambling and fluttering all over the p/c screen as I sit here in the dim yellow ‘bug-resistant’ light. That is truly the sights and sounds of the bush.
Bless you Zondrae...
...croc
;)