Lose/loose

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Re: Lose/loose

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:34 pm

Matt, Heather must never apologise for being a pedant, without us pedants the world would run amok,plunge into chaos and we would all be murdered in our beds.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Jul 09, 2015 8:47 pm

I'm not sure that I really am pedantic Neville - well not about a lot of things. I was simply making an observation that two words with similar spellings get confused in their usage. I'm interested in language and I suppose it does annoy me a teeny bit when they are missused.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Jul 09, 2015 9:23 pm

Bloody lost me or should that be losted ?

Ah crap now I'm really confussed.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Jul 09, 2015 10:01 pm

Sleep well Neville.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:48 am

:lol: :lol:
Neville

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:12 pm

I get very, very irritated at the way the word “pedant” is sometimes tossed around on this site. If I’m a pedant, then it’s a badge I wear with pride. My view is simple: the English language is a wonderful instrument when it comes to written expression, and it deserves to be treated with due care and respect. If something is worth setting down in writing, then that should be done to the very best of our ability, no matter the context.

I don’t care if it’s a poem, an email, or a comment on this site, it is not something that should be scrawled in a hurry with a thumbnail dipped in tar. Virtually everything I post is written first in a Word document, carefully proof-read several times, and then transferred. Yes, mistakes can still be made, but this keeps them to a minimum. If some words consistently cause a problem, they can be kept, correctly spelt, on a list beside the computer, along with a dictionary to check the meaning.

This is not a joke, not something to be dismissed flippantly with “He was a schoolteacher, he would say that!” We don’t know who visits this site, but one thing is certain…they will make judgements about bush poetry and bush poets based on what they read and the care with which it is written. I don’t buy the “Oh, but you know what I mean!” argument. This site is a showcase for our craft, and we owe it to each other, as well as any casual readers, to present it in the best possible light.

David

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:31 pm

Couldn't agee more David - this was a comment I made in the last magazine -
What you display in your shop window is what people make a judgement on – whether it be behaviour, writing or poetry and first impressions are always lasting impressions. So always display your best – we only get one chance at life – let’s try to make it memorable for the right reasons.
That shop window is so important. If stores displayed 2nd rate or broken goods in their windows no one would want to buy them, if we receive damaged goods or goods that don't live up to expectations we return them, usually with a a letter, or a major whinge/hissy fit to the attendant on the service desk. We are not impressed, we feel ripped off, we find a little bit of our trust in the producer/store has perhaps disappeared because when we purchase we expect value for money. We expect new goods of a high quality.

Why is it then that so many poets and writers don't see their work in the same light - do they think it doesn't matter or it is unimportant or do they subscribe to the near enough is good enough philosopy? Doesn't cut it with me for the magazine I have to tell you., and don't get me started on garage sale sites
drawers.jpg

Cheers
Maureen ….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:46 pm

oo wah :o
Neville

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Jul 10, 2015 5:47 pm

I think it is a fair call to point out that lose and loose are different words with different meanings, as are draws and drawers and that other offender, bought and brought! Of course we all make mistakes with spelling (me included). I still check (not cheque) the dictionary before using a word where I'm not sure about the spelling. Each word has it's own meaning, most are not inter-changeable although some are spelt the same but sound different (to read a book, and I read the book, for instance). It makes allot of difference! ;)

Did ya miss me? :lol:

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jul 14, 2015 10:30 pm

I hate olives. Not too fond of anchovies either. :)