The Pressure Is On

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Re: The Pressure Is On

Post by Neville Briggs » Fri Dec 02, 2011 10:29 am

Heather, are you doing poetry or Mastermind. Just read it... ;)
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Dec 02, 2011 11:13 am

Never fear, I'm on top of it! :)

Coin skirt is a good idea Sue - distract them and they won't hear a thing! :lol:

I can read if I want to Neville - but I found that out after I'd started to remember it. I'd just like to be able to read my own poems at poets' breakfasts. Sue, Zondrae and Robyn got nothing to worry about!

Vic Jefferies

Post by Vic Jefferies » Fri Dec 02, 2011 2:25 pm

Read. What would you think the audience will enjoy the most: a half remembered poem or a well read poem?
My advice to everyone is read (but endeavour to read well) while it is necessary but always aim to be able to recite. The successful reading of a poem will increase your confidence and stage skills far more quickly than unsuccessful attempts to recite which end in disaster and consequently reduce your confidence.
Often a mixture of reciting and "good" reading is very entertaining.

Vic

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Fri Dec 02, 2011 3:11 pm

Well said, Vic. I tend to read these days because I like to get it exactly right. Most of the time I'm doing my own poems (often on a one-off basis), and a misplaced word or phrase can really stuff things up. My thinking is that it's taken so long to get the lines in satisfactory form on the page I'm happier (and enjoy it more!) when they're in front of me. There's still plenty of scope for dramatic presentation when carrying a book, although it keeps me out of performance competitions. It all comes down to why you're presenting and what makes you feel most comfortable. Horses for courses!

Cheers
David

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Dec 02, 2011 4:18 pm

Yes, just read, Heather. About half read and half recite - and most of those that recite stuff it up anyway.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Sat Dec 03, 2011 9:49 am

On the reading/reciting front it's worth reporting on an interesting experience from a few weeks ago. I entered three rhyming verse poems in a written competition that also accepted free verse. Those on the short-list were required to turn up at the presentation night to read/recite their poems prior to the announcement of the winner(s). The prize was $1000 (!), there were 27 poems on the short-list (including my three), and most poets were there on the night. All except one of us read, and, apart from my three, there was only one other rhyming verse piece. I didn't win...the prize money was split between two free verse poems...but I did receive a special award (a bottle of wine...it was at a winery) for my "spirited recital". Now I'm guessing here, but I reckon the audience simply appreciated the fact that it was good old traditional verse...two of them humorous pieces...amongst some pretty heavy free verse. If you're interested in reading the two free verse poems that split the $1000 prize money you can find them at http://www.stonesoftheyarravalley.com/p ... tables.htm

Cheers
David

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:30 pm

NAILED IT!

Joined the ARVOS today for a bit of poing. First off I read my favourite poem Another Day by Matt Mcloughlin - went well! :) Later recited for the first time The Final March - yeehaa! Managed it without any errors. After afternoon tea read another one. All a very friendly bunch and it's nice to be able to read or recite in a non competitive setting and chat about the poems or other things in between.

Bob will be on to me to join his troupe now won't he? :lol:

Heather :)

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:42 pm

Glad you enjoyed it, Heather. The ARVOS is a relaxed and enjoyable forum for poetry. Congratulations on your first recital!

Cheers
David

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:57 pm

Thanks David. I'm pretty pleased. :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Dec 04, 2011 6:59 pm

Gotta be the best fun you can have standing up hey !!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Did you wear the coin skirt ? ;) ;)

Troupe numbers are down at the moment Numbers ONE, ME.

I will learn the guitar.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!