Bush Poetry named in Parliament

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: Bush Poetry named in Parliament

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Jun 19, 2015 5:21 pm

Thanks Maureen,

I would really like to meet your Mayor some day! Paul sounds like a real down to earth CAN-DO bloke! We would bond I reckon....

With Winton, what has happened has happened... and my mind turns to doing something practical.

Writing govt cheques is OK but if there was a creative bloke in Canberra in Arts who was of any use (which of course there isn't) he would be trawling (with his govt chequebook) the net looking for old Paterson books, rustling up books by current bush poets, hassling the CJ Dennis society for spare books, badgering the National Library, borrowing books from people too... to make an incredible display of Australian Bush Poetry, the likes of which has never been seen before. Yes the Minister can open the display and get full credit.

THAT is the essence of Banjo Paterson. His poetry. Brilliant. BUSH poetry. (I might even lend my first edition Happy Dispatches).

.. but then I would not like to interrupt their tea-break.

Poems like "Growing Butterflies On The Moon" are what Australian poetry is all about now in the tight corridors of the Arts Ministry... ladies panties...not The Man From Snowy River! I think...?

"George, the media are here and want to take another photo of you cuddling that Bush Poetry book...."

Gary Harding

Re: Bush Poetry named in Parliament

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Jun 22, 2015 4:38 pm

Yes Nev, I realise that.

But one can only do what one can do, and cynicism while valid can never be allowed to prevent one pressing on for a good outcome for bush poetry.... so I do.

The Palmer United Party to their credit upon hearing what happened (when I told them) were outraged and spurred into action so much so that they immediately included addressing Waste In The Federal Arts Department as part of their platform.

It was on the news somewhere.... the arts waste thing. So yep, something was achieved, even if it made the cosy Arts bureaucrats sweat a bit more. Felt the walls closing in.

The door of the Arts Department under the current government is very firmly shut in my face. The Poetry Club ensure that. The jury is still out on the wisdom of that move. I feel they would be wiser to be conciliatory, to get me on side ... but their demonstrated incompetence and lack of ability to do anything but dole out money prevents such vision.
Brandis and "poetry" are well controlled, as are the purse-strings. Brandis is no man of the people. Reading bush poetry in Estimates made him look like a rude Fool and not a decent bushie.

The Opposition can apparently grasp that traditional poetry, The Man From Snowy River, has been neglected and has enormous broad appeal to people and they love it, and not the incomprehensible rubbish bandied about by a very few in the name of poetry.

They, at least, can see Votes (and passion too) ... which is their job after all.

When the time is right, and one day it will be, they can call me and use me..... they already have a blueprint in their hands that I have provided them with. On the other hand, I am using them for my ends as well. To further all aspects of bush poetry... letting kids know about Lawson etc our National Literary Hero.... and stopping people from dipping into their own pockets entirely to produce small bush-poetry volumes... etc etc etc. That is the system... and it can be made to work.

I am not suggesting voting for the opposition or anyone in particular. That of course is up to every individual..... and private.

However, believe me, like Churchill I will do a deal with the Devil and even sing his praises if he is prepared to really push the cause of Bush Poetry. That does not mean I always have to vote for the devil as well... necessarily.

I hope some folk find this story to be fascinating stuff.... and entertaining too.