A world without men?

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

Re: A world without men?

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Dec 18, 2013 3:35 pm

I enjoyed the article, too. I suppose one thing to remember is that I have not heard of anybody wishing to abort a pregnancy because it was male, whereas the reverse certainly does still apply. Then again, perhaps I have missed something.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Dec 18, 2013 4:29 pm

I read your commentary David.

The original article reminds me of the old satanic proposition depicted in the Book of Genesis, where the humans are deceived by being told that by taking the fruit of the tree of the knowledge of good and evil ( that is, humans becoming their own moral compass ) they can become god-like and decide for themselves what is good and what is bad, i.e. self righteousness.
The result of this self righteousness, we are told, is a terrible destruction of relationships where the beautiful complementary amd mutual support relationship of man and woman become severely flawed.

And so it is.

And if anyone can't see that so-called feminism is a form of shrill self righteousness then I think they have not taken the trouble to observe it closely.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Wed Dec 18, 2013 6:27 pm

That's pushing things too far, Neville. There are many degrees of feminism. At one extreme there is undoubtedly "shrill self-righteousness", but at the other end a great deal has been achieved in overturning a lot of entrenched male attitudes that were extremely harmful to relationships.

And there's still some way to go. I know a bloke who won't let his partner get a job despite the fact that she desperately wants to work now that their children are at school. She wants some independence, both financially and socially, but his attitude is "I'll earn the money and give you an allowance...you look after the house." Needless to say, it's placing a lot of strain on the relationship.

In my parents' day that situation was standard and rarely questioned, but these days it's the exception rather than the rule. Feminism (an unfortunate word, but the only one we've got) has played its part in changing that old stereotype...and sometimes it has taken a particularly strident voice (think Germaine Greer) to get the message out into the open.

David

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Dec 18, 2013 8:45 pm

Fair enough David, I was thinking of the feminist quoted in the newspaper article who said that women were different from men because women had the high moral ground ( among other supposed superior attributes ).
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.