Steele Rudd

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
manfredvijars

Steele Rudd

Post by manfredvijars » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:57 am

Today marks the 77th anniversary of the passing of Steele Rudd who died in Brisbane, aged 66 - Novelist/playwright/short story writer. Born Arthur Hoey Davis in Drayton near Toowoomba. Creator of characters Dad & Dave of the Aussie classic "On Our Selection".

Vic Jefferies

Re: Steele Rudd

Post by Vic Jefferies » Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:58 pm

Good On You Manfred,

Steele Rudd (Arthur Hoey Davis) was a great author who wrote truly great Australian humour.
There were a series of very funny films and radio shows made of his stories and I enjoyed them greatly.
In 1995 they re made Dad and Dave On Our Selection starring Leo McKern (Rumple Of The Bailey) Dame Joan Sutherland and Phillip Rush. It was a good movie but failed at the box office because (in my opinion) the audience were not aware of the original stories.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:37 pm

Vic, didn't you mean Rumpole of the Bailey. hmmm, rump..ole.. I think John Mortimer was having a go at someone there :lol:

According to the Wikipedia Manfred, Steele Rudd's grave is in Toowong cemetary, Brisbane.
And interestingly, in Steele Rudd's writing there is no character called Mabel, associated with Dave.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Peely

Post by Peely » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:47 pm

If I recall correctly, Dave's wife was Lily.
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Rimeriter

Post by Rimeriter » Fri Oct 12, 2012 12:41 pm

All I can remember, it was bloody good listenin'
Jim.

warooa

Post by warooa » Sat Oct 13, 2012 7:43 am

Why the pen name Steele Rudd?

(according to Wikipedia)

Arthur Hoey Davis, in 1889 was an active rower and started writing a weekly rowing column for a Brisbane paper. He needed a pseudonym so took the first name Steele from Irish essayist Richard Steele, and wanting to incorporate a part of a boat he chose Rudder as the second name. This was later shortened to Rudd.