Norman Lindsay's novels

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Stephen Whiteside

Norman Lindsay's novels

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Fri Aug 31, 2012 11:39 am

I've just discovered Norman Lindsay's novels. Better late than never. I first heard of them in the book about George Robertson's letters. I've always thought of Lindsay as an artist. I know he wrote 'The Magic Pudding', which I love, but I've always assumed that was just a 'one-off'. How wrong I've been!

At the moment, I'm about half way through 'Dust or Polish', a story about a show girl who tries to give up the stage for a career selling second hand furniture. It's all very entertaining, and also betrays a lot about Lindsay's own thoughts and feelings. Really fascinating.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Robyn

Re: Norman Lindsay's novels

Post by Robyn » Fri Aug 31, 2012 6:20 pm

Sounds good Stephen. I'm the same... The Magic Pudding is as far as I go, but I've decided a trip to the library will fix that!
Robyn
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Vic Jefferies

Re: Norman Lindsay's novels

Post by Vic Jefferies » Sat Sep 01, 2012 11:17 am

Norman Lindsay (indeed the Lindsay family) was remarkable. I think Age of Consent is probably his best known book but he was absolutely brilliant in so many fields: drawing; painting; sculpting; writing; poetry and the list goes on. He was also a brilliant cartoonist and builder of model ships some of which are on display at his old home in Faulconbridge NSW. Really do recommend a visit next time you are in the Blue Mountains.