THE OLD ABPA FORUM

Discuss or chat on any topic not covered by above forums.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
manfredvijars

THE OLD ABPA FORUM

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Dec 09, 2011 4:47 pm

... just an update on the work on the old Forum from Alice ...

I've been working on getting your old forum into a more useful state.
It took DAYS for all the files to download. :) Fortunately that was just a set-and-forget process, so you won't be charged for days of work. :)

Now that I have a local copy of all the files, I can see that there's quite a lot of duplication - several mostly identical files for each page from the forum. I think that would have happened because the old forum software assigned a session ID to each user, and it put the session ID into the URLs, and the session ID seems to have changed over time, so I think the scraping software you used to pull down all the files was tricked into downloading the same file multiple times, simply because the URL had a different ID in it. I'm developing a small script that will automatically detect and remove duplicated pages, which will make the archive easier to search through.

I won't be able to import all the old forum posts into the new forum; I think it would take many hours to arrange for that to happen. What I can do (fairly soon I think) is upload a duplicate-free set of forum pages, with one or more unique index pages linking them together (probably - I still need to work out how to get duplicate-free index pages). That will make them easy to browse, and from there it shouldn't be too hard to get a search engine working for them.

Alice

Zondrae

Re: THE OLD ABPA FORUM ...

Post by Zondrae » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:16 pm

Wow, I am impressed.

I hope to be able to browse the old site soon. I'm sure there are poems of mine that were written in haste, posted, and I don't have a copy of them . There is also a poem I am looking for that I'm sure was posted but I don't know by whom or when. It will take some detective work. All I remember about it is that it is about a tree and a wedding ring.

So I am looking forward to seeing your work as soon as you can release it. Thanks for providing the skills.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Dave Smith

Post by Dave Smith » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:24 pm

(??) Oh good just keep it up what ever it is that you just said. :?

Oh and thanks. ;)

TTFN 8-)
I Keep Trying

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Dec 09, 2011 6:55 pm

I'm sure there are poems on there I'd rather not have anyone read again! :lol:

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:06 pm

At least all is NOT lost ... :D

Heather

Post by Heather » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:24 pm

Is GOOOD! :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Fri Dec 09, 2011 7:27 pm

Duh Duh Duh !!! yep what Dave said.

Skeletons in the old closet? Hey Heather ?

I think it is nice to look at peoples old poems and see how they have developed, hopefully improved and benefited from the site.

Cheers Bob.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Kym

Post by Kym » Sat Dec 10, 2011 6:08 am

NNNOOOOOO I don't my old poems to come back! I was cheeky back then and now I'm trying to turn over a new leaf and be respectable! I suppose I can delete my old posts ...

Zondrae, you mentioned a poem about a tree and a wedding ring. For some reason that rings a bell - perhaps it was a Hully poem? He wrote such lovely poems. Now I'm curious too.

manfredvijars

Re: THE OLD ABPA FORUM

Post by manfredvijars » Mon Dec 12, 2011 6:58 am

I've just split the topic to separate the threads ...