The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Jan 24, 2024 6:24 am

The Australian Cultural Centre Project

One of the important jobs was to produce a building design in order to prove oneself genuine to any would-be Partner. "Here is a building concept that will do the job. We have thought it out! 3-D Views. Elevations. Internal layout."

So I went to the local architectural people and described what I wanted in functional terms.

Below is their first concept.

It was a visually confusing conglomeration of angled roofs and was impractical. So I sat down with the young lad and said.. "look, that is no good at all. For our purposes, we need to construct a rectangular Main Exhibition Hall then if we need to expand, one can bolt-on additional rectangles easily. The rest revolves around internal building layout which includes dining, shop, reception, workshop, conference room, common amenities."

I was taught never to have curved external walls. Visually pleasing they may be... but they are problematic to construct, functionally inefficient, expensive and present hydraulic issues.. i.e. rainwater disposal and thus internal building leaking.

Their second attempt (below) was better but the light-well roof protrusions in a building that attempts to avoid UV were not required.

Be a landmark certainly ... without looking like an office block. For us, it is an exercise in Good Design and Functionality and not trying to win an Architectural Award. Nothing weird or way out. After all, it is the material content that is important.

Three short videos were produced. (Note : The building title has changed from Banjo Paterson Cultural Centre)

https://youtu.be/RjYQzy7ooRA
https://youtu.be/gLu692gvF3Q
https://youtu.be/wYB7b9CYEdI

This is just an essential start point. I won't actually show the internal layout drawings and elevations. Who knows what it will finally look like....and this is a step along that path to success :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

David Judge

Post by David Judge » Thu Feb 01, 2024 6:47 pm

Melbourne poet Grace Yee has won the $100,000 Victorian Prize for Literature at the Victorian Premier's Literary Awards (VPLAs) for her debut verse novel, Chinese Fish.
It is the first time a poet has won the prize, which is Australia's richest literary award, since 2014.
Yee also won the $25,000 poetry prize on Thursday night, bringing her total prize money to $125,000.
Published by Giramondo Publishing, Chinese Fish tells the multi-generational story of a family that emigrated from Hong Kong to Aotearoa New Zealand over two decades, from the 1960s to the 1980s.
The VPLA judges praised the verse novel for the way it "intelligently … braids its modes and forms, its feminist vision, and its literary and conceptual sophistication".
Chinese Fish was borne out of the creative writing component of her PhD on the experience of settler Chinese women in Aotearoa, who she says were caught between the constraints of the traditional Chinese family and the discrimination they faced in broader society.
"They were at home performing to those patriarchal imperatives and in the mainstream putting on a different kind of performance."
Chinese Fish is told from multiple perspectives, including the two protagonists, Ping and her daughter Cherry.
Yee says the verse novel's polyphonic structure was the product of much experimentation.
"I knew from the beginning I couldn't tell the story in a singular voice," she says.
"It took a lot of playing around … before I was happy with the voices."
Yee won the Patricia Hackett Prize and the Peter Steele Poetry Award in 2020 and served as a Creative Fellow at the State Library Victoria from 2019 to 2021. But the poet never dreamed her thesis would eventually be published as a verse novel.
"I wrote it for myself," she says.
"I had absolutely no ambitions for publishing it … [and] when I finished my thesis, it sat in the top drawer."
However, she eventually sent the manuscript to Giramondo Publishing, who accepted it.
Yee, who currently works as a casual academic at the University of Melbourne, says her win will give her more time and space to write.
"It means that I can relax a little bit."
I look forward to reading it.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Feb 02, 2024 6:38 am

Interesting item...

Feeling thrilled to have acquired this scarce and finely detailed 65cm model Mini Hills Hoist from the 1950's. It is variously described as a salesman's model or a toy .. depending.

Naturally the Hills Hoist is popularly recognised as an Australian "cultural icon" and was featured at the Closing Ceremony of the Sydney 2000 Olympic Games.

It was a definite "must have" for the Cultural Centre, rather than a "nice to have".

AUCTIONS :

This model was bought at auction; a competitive arena where I have obtained things over the years. It was described to me by the auctioneer as a quality museum piece. Most often, one is fortunate and gets a bargain. In this case, I had a bitter bidding war to contend with, coming up against an opponent who appeared to be equally determined to have it. Such situations can drive the price way up. You see it happen but you never really expect to be actually caught there yourself! The final all-up cost for me was near $2,000. (There goes my annual holiday). I am sure that in truth my opponent would have had far deeper pockets... and I find the tactic in such cases is to bid fast and confidently and hopefully convince them otherwise. Did I pay too much for it??? Absolutely!.. but then I now own it. :) Such is the trade off, I suppose.

HILLS HOIST :

We are treating the Hoist very respectfully as a serious piece of home equipment that did (and still does) facilitate the laundry work of housewives. It is neither a curiosity, anachronism nor a piece of artwork.

We will touch on its involved history briefly as visitors will only have a limited attention span when trying to view all of our many exhibits. The idea is to make this display fun and informative. A joy ... where you attempt to relate to Visitors on their own level, rather than lecture or talk down to them from on high.

It is HOW the hoist helped Australians that is our focus. WHY it was "great" functionally. Eventually... a brilliant display.

1. The model will be presented on a piece of artificial lawn that has a couple of vents wafting air over the mini-sheets etc in order to give it a more realistic feel. Laundry in the breeze! Ha.
2. We are establishing a friendly connection with Hills Home Living who are nice people and like what we are doing. They may help with supporting material.

Personally I keep a few places reserved in my heart for special things and special people. Perhaps others are like me and do the same? I don't know.. One of those places is sentimentally occupied by the ubiquitous Hills Hoist.

Decades later, in my mind I can still see Mum hanging out the washing on "the line".. cranking it up and down.. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Feb 04, 2024 6:38 am

That is a good find David Judge, thank you for taking the time to post this ABC article here.

I have no fear in saying that it is obviously a further exercise in buying ($125,000) the Chinese vote in Victoria, shoring it up, in a state where that particular ethnic vote carries huge sway - if not the controlling voice. (The Anzacs would be proud of Australia I am sure). It is all a form of Moral Corruption. Australian Literature, especially poetry, suffers because it is leveraged to chase votes instead of promoting or rewarding literature on merit.

As well as Literary Awards, in Australia major Sporting Associations and large Retailers are infiltrated by the tentacles of big-brother government and are now unashamedly used as an additional power base to push government political agendas. It is WRONG.. in a country where RIGHT should carry sway.
Keep politics right OUT of Sport and Retailing.. and The Arts. Banish it. "Agendas" have no place there..

Government Institutions such as museums and galleries have for a long time been politicised. Even the National War Memorial too who I have previously violently crossed swords with because they have lost the plot. Indeed, this corruption happens at all government levels... even down to the local council-run "Gallery" here in Hervey Bay. Shocking. Just pure propaganda.
'
Thus Governments at all levels are our philosophical enemies. I once thought that there was a good team and a bad team in politics, but now they are all the same. Very, very BAD people including those public servants who sell their soul to serve them. Chinese Fish indeed! Ha

OK... Now for a self-serving literary plug...! :) :)

We have our hands full trying to make the Australian Cultural Centre a huge success for the benefit of all Australians and for those who made Australia what it is and can no longer speak.

Folk of Yesterday.. and Today too.

We have by far the biggest and best (if not the only) exhibition of quality and true Australian Literature. It is based purely on MERIT as best we can assess that, and that merit is not challenging to evaluate at all.
Our real POETRY starts with Paterson, Lawson and Dennis and we work our way through from there.. and not a smell of Chinese Fish anywhere. Votes are no use to us! Australian Literature is.

Some thirty-six bush balladists of excellence... and none selected because of their race, or even their sexual proclivities...no feminists or left-handed basket-weavers' Collective...or some other attribute that defines them as a voting minority to be pandered to. Only MERIT.

I hope I live long enough to see this marvelous Project happen. After all, it would be hard to enjoy it all from the isolation of a lonely gravesite.
But we are up against some very Evil people who doubtless see us as something to be crushed.. eventually. It would be naive to think otherwise. So it is very challenging... and one is fighting alone. Fearless and determined.

We need a Partner of Means and Patriotism.. who shares our Vision. No arms-length cheque-writer... that is just too easy. A tough fighting soldier and equal participating Partner.

Will we succeed in this unique Australian Cultural Centre Project on behalf of all Australians?

I can only quote the words of Bomber Harris (RAF) "Well, my answer to that is that it has never been tried yet, and we shall see."

Thanks again to David Judge.

https://www.facebook.com/profile.php?id=100067169599947

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Feb 15, 2024 7:03 am

JOHN O'BRIEN

Around The Boree Log

Two albums (LP's) of this poetical work were produced, recited by Kevin Brennan.

The first was sufficiently popular that a second one was later produced entitled unsurprisingly, Volume Two. (containing further selections)

Obtaining the first one was (at the time) not easy but eventually I managed it.

The second (pink colour) was and still is a rarity, but after years of patience I was able to get hold of a copy.

They are now packed away, nesting happily together and will be part of the nice presentation featuring John O'Brien.

Our quality Literary Section (Bush Poetry) is vast, having been accumulated over a lifetime. Encouraging people to take a second look at bush balladry cannot be accomplished by just shoving books at them. I believe that you have to make the writing visually appealing by offering it with displays of excellence. These two colourful LP's assist in doing that.

I think TripAdvisor comments demonstrate that people today are discerning and can tell the difference between substance and shallow light-shows ...or an exercise in graphic art. Visitors are not fooled. It is substance first...and that is necessarily the result of years of careful collecting.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Feb 29, 2024 6:26 am

Aren't the Birds of Australia and the Creatures of the Australian Bush delightful? :)

I have gathered a number of recordings of them over the years and these will assist in the Australian Cultural Centre.

While it could be said that these are not particularly cultural, one nevertheless has to briefly explain "what is Australia" and this aspect is a part of that mosaic. And after all, we are the arbiters of what is culture.

There are several interesting aspects of Australia that have either been very poorly dealt with today, or as is most usual, simply ignored. Bush poetry, and literature in general are typical, I believe.

Upon entry into the main exhibition hall, it is planned for Visitors to pass through a diorama of the Australian Bush at sunset and sunrise. The evening time presents its own sounds with the "glow" of the sunset - and this lighting effect then changes from silence and darkness to a rising dawn with the sounds of the kookaburras and the early birds. Fabulous. A magic time for these sounds to be experienced. It is a bit like being the conductor of a Bush Orchestra.. bringing in all the participants one by one to build up the combined sound-picture in order to accord with the emerging visuals... Wow!

We might even extend it to a 24hr cycle... stars at night with Southern Cross.. and cicadas during the day.. (Periodical cicadas, like Magicicada septendecim, typically sing between 10am and 5pm.).. and frogs and curlews and..... dingoes! Amazing stuff.

Culture is a sensory thing after all.

The Birds of the Bush.

C J Dennis in his book The Singing Garden wrote poems devoted to individual birds. To be honest, I do not think these were his best work as, being a simple person, I found them a bit hard going.

Bush poetry has successfully highlighted this topic recently with Shelley gaining an international first prize with her poem about The Bush Birds.

The "sounds of the bush" are important to us. Occasionally one can just stop and listen as they are often the background music to what we do. Even as I type, it is early dawn and all the birds are singing joyfully... and noisily. What a distraction!

The book shown below and its enclosed 45rpm record is part of my fun Songs and Sounds of the Bush Collection which will be put to use in The
Australian Cultural Centre. I am pleased to say that as each day passes, it looks more and more like being built! I hope. :)

So happier times now... no despondency. A wonderful Vision for Australia that enshrines its Culture and National Identity.

Surely nothing could be more important for all of us... who love Australia, and The Mighty Bush???? :)

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:28 pm

A brilliant idea to have the diorama upon entry, Gary! This type of thing is extremely effective, and to have the different times of sunrise and sunset presented with the lighting effects is inspired! It will be the stuff of goose bumps and a magical start for anyone coming through those doors.

They used to do something very similar in Christchurch, NZ along the boarding bridge to the plane when people were leaving. I used to wish it was upon arrival instead, because it always made me so sad to leave when surrounded by the beautiful diorama and songs of the native birds! They didn't do this on my last trip - not sure if they still do but the point is, it is incredibly effective!!!

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Mar 02, 2024 6:17 am

That is a very positive and reinforcing observation Catherine and I sincerely appreciate it!! Sharing your own experience is a handy contribution!

Yes, the concept is appealing... including enhancing the diorama with variations in light and sound to potentially make it more dynamic and educational.
But what is technically feasible these days? I don't know.

In a way, this Australian Cultural Centre Project is a "Journey Through The World Of The Possible".. and what is possible has yet to be fully discovered. Imagination and creativity... of the highest order.

The comment was made the other day that there is already so much magnificent material completed that one could never hope to see it all in a day. And we are just getting started, (in a way)... :) Very exciting.

As a Bush Poets Association, I imagine that a re-creation of The Bush that we all love so much might be something of interest to members? I hope so.

**What sound does a dingo make? Well, apparently it rarely barks but is happy enough to howl at night, so one is always learning. A darkened room, stars shining and a dingo howling in the distance with the sound of a frog might be effective? Multi-track sound system with hidden speakers to add dimension. Maybe some potpourri sort of thing in order to give it the smell of the bush as well?? After all it is aimed at the senses. Goosebumps indeed. It might put one in the "bush mood" before entering the Main Hall and seeing the rest of the exhibition.

Here is a postcard featuring an oil painting of Chips Rafferty (1964) painted by Joshua Smith. This painting is held in the Rockhampton Art Gallery, I believe. I have previously featured (rare) LP's of bush poetry recitations by Chips (Digger Smith, A Man and His Horse). He was a favourite of my mother and I think his portrait reproduced on this postcard from the Collection captures the essence of Chips Rafferty.

He is one of the select "Australian Characters" (a special Section) we choose to present. People who deserve not to be forgotten.

Another is R. M. Williams. I gained the idea for him when I saw his lovely book in an op-shop. The sticker price on the cover was $4 but inside it was marked $2. I stood my ground and insisted on the inside price! Fancy chiselling an op-shop for a measly $2! Not too flash. Always feel bad about that effort.

Thank you once more, Catherine. Your occasional posts here on this thread are always so upbeat and encouraging... and hugely welcome! Such reinforcements on this major project are actually uncommon so it helps more than you know. Looking forward to reading more of your poems too. Thank you.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Mar 12, 2024 7:59 am

The Sentimental Bloke.... C. J. Dennis

The Sentimental Bloke musical stage show was very popular in 1960/61.

This is the (below) Cast and Credits section of the program for the March 7th, 1961 production at the Albert Hall in Canberra.

Also here is an unused ticket (not a stub) to the Saturday, March 11th performance in Canberra. "Memorabilia" I suppose, but it helps to bring The Bloke a bit more to life.

An LP of the show was produced and this starred Edwin Ride.

All of this material is included in our existing gigantic Sentimental Bloke display.

In my experience The Sentimental Bloke is vanishing, with too many people having simply not heard of it. We will endeavour to reverse this trend, not just with a dynamic display but by offering teachers material such as scripts that can be used in the classroom for school productions.

Guests do not have to like The Sentimental Bloke necessarily (I hope most will). However by placing it in front of people, it is true "education" and as Dame Edna said "At Least You Can Say You've Seen It".

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:11 am

One sees in the newspapers, reports of the damage to and destruction of statues in Victoria, notably of Captain Cook and Her Majesty Queen Victoria (which has stood in East Geelong's Eastern Park since 1912).

We have a 110-page illustrated book on the Australian Cultural Centre explaining its exhibit contents along with why it is being undertaken and some entry level building drawings.. and much, much more.

Hopefully The Centre will be built, given that those who rail against the destruction of such statues and constructions (and anger, rage and indignation come cheap) equally shout out their support for what we are doing (yes, that's the hard bit) Constructing, not destroying monuments. Plus we revere books as a great source of knowledge, not burn them.

Anyway.. with this lovely Book which invites Partnership (a wonderful exercise that is thoroughly enjoyable!) sections are separated and the page below is used as one of the separators. It was produced long before vandalism was thought by some as a fashionably noble Australian attribute. Will Henry Lawson be the next victim, or Banjo himself?

As can be seen below, Banjo Paterson states :

"When you ask yourself : 'What is the most permanent work that a man can do in the world?' the answer is poetry. Poetry lasts longer than even sculpture, for when the savages overrun a civilisation the first thing they do is break up the statues with an axe - but they cannot do this to a poem."

So Banjo has expressed his opinion from the grave of the people today who do this. He calls them SAVAGES.

There might just be some truth in that. Real truth.