YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Glenny Palmer

YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:02 pm

G'day all,
I was setting up to produce all of The Copper Croc certificates the other day, and a member of 'the younger generation' asked me why I wasn't sending them out electronically. He seemed to think that I was being (quote) 'medieval'... :?... to hard copy and then snail mail them??

What do you think of possibly receiving your certificates electronically? I would really appreciate your feedback on this.

TIA & Cheeers
Glenny P
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Bob Pacey

Re: YOUR OPINIONS PLEASE

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:07 pm

Yeah Ok by me !

Get with the times just don't do it with money !

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 7:24 pm

Thank you Bob.
It's an interesting subject. I am very keen to see the general consensus on this idea.
:D

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:54 pm

Yep, good idea, Glenny. Saves time, effort and money. Something other comps could well follow.

Cheers
David

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:29 pm

Thank you David.
I am also thinking of the A-4 envelope being scrunched into post boxes, half ruining the certificate. And I wonder if many poets store these awards in their pc picture albums....which would require them to scan prior...?

Well that's 2 yeas & no nays so far......I think I am warming to the idea of not being 'medieval' any more :lol:
Cheeers

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:33 pm

Hello Glenny

I agree with Bob and David - I also think the electronic option is a good idea. Far less effort and cost for you, for a start. Also the recipient can then choose how to print the certificate (e.g. on fancy or coloured paper to frame, or in an altered size to fit a sleeved album, or whatever). Or as you say, they can opt for electronic storage and not print it at all - that would no doubt suit our "nomadic" poets in particular.

You are right that the danger with posting hard copies is that unless they are sandwiched between cardboard or inserted into a plastic sleeve, they can sometimes arrive in less than perfect condition. I've received certificates folded, squashed and crumpled - no doubt according to the whim of Australia Post on the day in question! Protecting them to ensure they arrive in pristine condition means more cost to you.

On the other subject Bob mentioned (money) - some written competitions also send the prize money by electronic bank transfer. Ipswich Feast does this - they just ask the winners to provide their bank details and it's done! I think for mutual ease and convenience, that is also something for competition organisers to consider.

Hope this helps.

Cheers
Shelley
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:41 pm

I print em out and use them to start the campfire for my poetry nights !

Not the money the certificates ( If I had any )
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Robyn

Post by Robyn » Sat Aug 20, 2016 4:29 pm

As a fellow comp organiser I say go for it Glenny. We may well follow!
Hardly anyone sends an sae anymore - postage has gone up and the more we can do electronically the more money can go towards other causes.
People can print them on whatever quality paper they want, or store them as digital files.
I'll take the idea to my next Binalong Bush Poetry Prize committee meeting.
Robyn Sykes, the Binalong Bard.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sat Aug 20, 2016 7:17 pm

Bobbo...thank you (I think :lol: )

Robyn. Many thanks for your feedback. I am encouraged to give this a go. I'm sure those who may object will advise me pronto. I do think that as technology becomes more & more evident in our lives that this may become the way of the future.

So....many thanks my fellow bards. We'll see how it all goes.

Cheeers.
Glenny P

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Tue Nov 01, 2016 2:10 pm

Thought it worth referring back to this as I've just received a Highly Commended certificate in the mail and the postage was $7.60! Now that's plain crazy. Multiply that by the number of other certificates sent out, add in the cost of layout, printing and lamination (it's a very good quality certificate) and it means that the organisers are up for a substantial amount. Emailing certificates makes much more economic sense. Better to increase the prize money and try to attract more entries.

After all, bush poetry is up against it when it comes to prize money. Entries for the Ron Pretty Poetry Prize close on November 22, costing $25 for the first entry and $10 thereafter, with a first prize of $5000, second $1500 and third $750 (maximum 30 lines). Then entries for the Peter Porter Poetry Prize are due on December 1st...cost per entry is $20, with a 75-line limit and a first prize of $5000. Naturally, the vast majority of entries will be non-rhyming verse, and the money available is surely one reason why that form of poetry is so popular. A possible $5000 for a 30-line poem is pretty good bait! Meanwhile, we've got one of our most prestigious competitions, the Blackened Billy, due on November 30th with a $5 entry fee and a $500 first prize. I know money isn't everything, but it seems reasonable to assume that a bush poetry competition with a first prize of $5000 would attract a fair bit of interest! I was told by someone a while ago that plans were afoot for a competition like this, but that idea seems to have fizzled out.

Cheers
David