A Rhymers first foray into Free Verse

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Terry

Post by Terry » Mon May 02, 2016 2:03 pm

I have never worried over much about what form of poetry others dabble in, with the possible exception when they have rude and ignorant digs at Bush Poetry – even then I don’t lose any sleep over that.

In Return, I’m sure many others like me may have thought that a lot of so called free verse was a load of rubbish. But I have been for some time threatening to give it a go, if only to really see what it was all about. I would be starting from scratch as my total knowledge of Free Verse could be written on the back of a postage stamp.

My first effort, Neville kindly told me wasn’t too bad; but was actually Blank Verse, much the same as Shakespeare used. So I decided to read a bit of what was written on this forum and started to see that there was a lot more to it than first meets the eye.

I could also see why it appeals to many, because it gives far more freedom to writers of poetry to express themselves, without having to compromise on the choice of words.

I’ve been a little envious of people who write lyrics because they also have greater freedom than say Bush poets. This is particularly noticeable (necessarily so) in competition writing.

Well after my first little dabble I now may have accumulated enough knowledge to cover the back of two postage stamps. (you might say I have opened the door and had a little peep inside) But I was impressed none the less, and it has opened my eyes to its possibilities, so I will probably have another go at it.

Terry

Neville Briggs

Re: A Rhymers first foray into Free Verse

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon May 02, 2016 7:04 pm

I think Terry, the questions you are asking can be answered a bit if you look at a couple of things. ( I'm no expert. I am in a sense, thinking out loud of what I look at in my search for understanding )

First is that rhyming is not the issue. Some free verse writers use rhyme. Perhaps not in the same way as the traditional formality but they use it nevertheless.

The issue is shown by the word " verse" as in "free verse. The word 'verse" is from a Latin word versus which means to turn. It was apparently used in ancient times to refer to the furrows of the ploughed field. The plough man had a set length to make the furrow and when he got to the end of one, he turned and started the other to make the same length. And of course in English we use reverse, to turn back, obverse to turn the other side, conversion turn a try into a score ( thanks Matt ;) ).

When we write prose lines we start at the left margin and continue until the right margin then start again at the left margin for the next line.

In poetry we don't do that. We write the lines until we reach a predetermined length or measure ( metre means measure) then we turn and start the next line. That's why poetry is called verse because we turn at a specifically measured point like the plough man.
You know what metre means and how to measure the length of a metered line and in traditional form this metre usually goes to a set pattern.

In free verse, the writer is supposedly free to set the length of the lines at any measure they choose for each line, they don't have to be even. The turning comes not at a set metre but at a point where the writer has decided that the mood, rhythm or emotion of the poem requires it. So free verse does not need a repeated metre, lines can each have their own metre according to some perceived poetic effect by the writer.

Which means it is very hard for the writer to decide where to turn effectively and hard for the reader to discern the effectiveness of the turn. Robert Frost thought it was too much lacking in foundational structure and called free verse " playing tennis without the net ".
And the downside is that readers will simply assume that the verses are nothing more than arbitrary turns, and weak or pretentious writers of free verse will make arbitrary line lengths for no reason other than to appear free.

So how do we decide the artistic integrity of the free verse. Alas I have reached the limit of my basic knowledge. :) Lehmann and Gray might help.

I hope you managed to stay awake through this and that this makes sense. I hope I am not trying to tell you to "suck eggs".

And I join with Matt , with his cunning allusions to prospecting and unfenced wide open spaces :lol: Go for it Terry.
Last edited by Neville Briggs on Mon May 02, 2016 8:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon May 02, 2016 8:21 pm

G/day Matt

I like your suggestion - without fences.

That probably pretty well covers what I'd like to try.
I'm not worried whether it will be considered kosher Free Verse or not,
I just want to try doing something in my own way without restrictions.

We'll see how we go mate.

Terry

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon May 02, 2016 8:26 pm

Thanks for that Neville,

As I mentioned to Matt, I'm just interested in trying something different.

One thing about starting on the bottom step, the grounds close if you fall off.

Cheers

Terry

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon May 02, 2016 8:32 pm

You won't fall, :) and I assure you Terry that in my eyes your poetry endeavours are far above the bottom rung.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 02, 2016 8:36 pm

Geees Nev ya coulda just said good onya mate !

Have a go Terry.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Mon May 02, 2016 9:58 pm

Enjoy Terry.
In my opinion, a poet is someone who brings to life the magic of words, whether that be through rhyme or free verse, and in doing so, touches the inner being of their audience. You have that ability. Good on you.
Cheers
Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Terry

Post by Terry » Mon May 02, 2016 10:46 pm

Thanks Neville, Sue And Bob.

It's the challenge isn't it.

Trying to express in your own individual way , something with words of your own choosing.

Thanks for the kind comments .

Cheers

Terry

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue May 03, 2016 12:29 pm

Terry I think it's great to keep an open mind and to have a go at new things and maybe it's the little push you need to get you back into your writing. Not having to run into walls when writing would be a wonderful new found freedom. I look forward to your efforts. I recently witnessed something that I though would be good to write about but I would never attempt it in rhyme as it would most certainly lose the story I wanted to tell because, as Neville says, I would have to turn when I wasn't ready.

Well put Nobbly Nev! :lol:

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue May 03, 2016 12:54 pm

Hi Heather

With the cooler weather I have been doing a bit of writing of late,
but just feel I need to try something different, you sometimes need a new challenge to broaden your horizons a little - don't You think?

I will keep writing rhyme but if an idea comes along that I think Free Verse will suit better, I'll give it a go.
There's been many times in the past where I've had to write something or use words that I really didn't want to.

I will always love rhymed poetry of course, but sense the time is right to expand the mind a little.

Cheers Terry