Poetry Performance

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Heather

Re: Poetry Performance

Post by Heather » Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:04 pm

Neville I remember a time when even the thought of asking a question at a meeting would have my heart pounding and hands sweating. Later I had to chair meetings and that was really good practise. I used logic to tell myself that I wouldn't have a problem speaking to any one of those people individually so the only difference was I was speaking to 8 people instead of one. I also had to be organised and know what I was doing. After the bushfire I had to give talks (with notes) and once over the initial nerves, I got used to it. It helped that I was passionate about what I was talking about. I've never had to give a talk without notes and wouldn't want to - it's that being organised thing again and not wanting to forget anything.

Doing walks and talks would be easier I think Neville because the buildings gave me cues. I still have to know my stuff though. (I could bluff all the way really, they wouldn't know the difference! ;) )

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:50 pm

I hope the pay was good. :)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat Oct 25, 2014 7:53 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol: The pay consisted of a lovely afternoon tea - which I put down to talk to someone and when I went to eat it, the cleaner-upperer had taken it away! Will have to talk less and concentrate on eating next time! :)

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat Oct 25, 2014 8:05 pm

:)
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Oct 26, 2014 7:58 am

It's horses for courses, isn't it. Then there are people who only really come alive on stage - feel completely at home speaking to 1,000 people, but terrified and lost speaking to only one or two.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:08 am

That's an interesting observation Stephen. Could it be that when on stage, you are empowered? You are the one in control. Talking one on one is much more personal and you are much more vunerable.

Heather :)

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:28 am

Pfffffft ! no truth in that theory except that I will say that for a shy person like me the smaller groups are a little harder.

Performed for 6000 people at the last Beef festival in Rockhampton and you are just looking at a mass of faces so not a lot of interaction there.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:31 am

Yes, I would agree Heather. There's a lot of truth in that. Then there are those who are fabulous 'one on one', but freeze on stage. Of course, most of us are somewhere between these two extremes.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun Oct 26, 2014 8:55 am

That's what makes the world more interesting Stephen. It would be pretty boring and predictable if everyone was the same.

Heather :)

warooa

Post by warooa » Sun Oct 26, 2014 5:19 pm

Neville Briggs wrote: The judging panel is Jean Kittson , Bob MaGuire ,Michael Gurr and Leigh Sales.

I thought it would be a good one for bush poets to watch, but it is on at 5am, bush poets wouldn't be alive at that time of day. ;)
I could handle Leigh Sales at 5am - I think I have a strange crush on her :?