Should a poem be performed the same way the author would

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Vic Jefferies

Re: Should a poem be performed the same way the author would

Post by Vic Jefferies » Sun May 18, 2014 4:37 pm

Jeeez Marty here we go again! Patrick Hartigan (John O'Brien) was Australian but after reading his poetry you would be forgiven for thinking that he was Irish. Some poetry is written with an accent, of that there is no doubt, but I believe unless it really changes a poem the reader, presenter, reciter is free to interpret the work as she/he sees fit. That is the essential challenge: perform the poem in a way that makes it your own. Just as we equate certain songs with those performers who really nail them so it is with poetry.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun May 18, 2014 6:01 pm

Marty, one famous poet (who unfortunately I can't remember, to reference ) said that once his poem was " out there " it was no longer in his control and people could make of it what they wanted to, as far as interpretation that is.

Noel Stallard does excellent performances of Hartigan's poetry and all in a skilful imitation of Irish brogue, which Noel believes is in the spirit of the verse. I wouldn't argue with that.

I have heard some people reciting others' well known work and changing words, I take it from your comment that we are agreed; that is not on.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun May 18, 2014 9:42 pm

We forget that the Australian voice and accent has changed over the years. Listen to any old movie or newsreal and you will hear a difference. I've heard the recording of Dorothea MacKellar reading/reciting "My Country" and it's not how (most of us) talk now and not something I would want to imitate. It's very stilted and stuffy.

I've sat in an audience and heard someone I respect recite one of my poems - a really strange experience. I have a certain expectation of how it should sound - where the emphasis should be, the loud and the soft bits - because that's how I would read it but in the end it's up to the reciter to make it their own performance and that's ok. I suppose if it had been totally awful recital I might have thought differently.

Heather :)

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 19, 2014 8:50 am

Our Australian "voice" is still changing and it's something I find very interesting. I can see how different parts of countries would evolve their own accents and terms. In those early films and voice recordings the accent is very clear and proper - and very quaint to us now.

Queenslanders and territorians (NT) talk noticeably slower than the rest of us - some with a considerable drawl.

Has anyone noticed how fast children speak these days? There are times I have had to slow my teenage daughter down so I could understand her and sometimes I haven't been able to understand the jibberish from a friend's son at all. They seem to understand each other though!

I was in New Zealand a few years back (north island) and the difference in accents in the north and south of the north island was astounding. Some people barely had a noticeable NZ accent at all and others were so thick we couldn't understand them. I remember ordering a cappacino and being asked if I wanted ?*?%?#?. Turns out it was "trim" as in skim milk. If you take the vowels out you can usually imitate a NZ accent. Trm.

Marty, having thought about it, I do prefer to read/recite (whichever/whatever) my own work because i then do it the way I want it done and the way i wrote it. Call me a control freak!

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Mon May 19, 2014 9:20 am

Ok you asked for it

YOU ARE A CONTROL FREAK
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

r.magnay

Post by r.magnay » Mon May 19, 2014 4:09 pm

there is no doubt our language is changing, sadly to sound more like yanks than Aussies, but even from area to area it is different. My son moved down here last week, he has spent pretty much all of his working life in the bush, I mean remote bush, not the suburbs type bush. since he got down here a week ago he said the blokes he works with are amazed at how he talks....he was telling one of them how work has dropped off up there, he said "..yeah, no work up there at the moment hey" ...the bloke promptly answered.."Dunno mate, never been there!"...we laughed. :lol:
Ross

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 19, 2014 4:40 pm

Area to area was what I was getting at Ross. Australians already have distinct accents and ways of talking depending on where they originated or went to school. I wonder how long before we can't understand each other? As I have said, I can't understand my friend's son and sometimes my own daughter. I've heard terms used in NSW and QLD that aren't used in Victoria - or they have different meanings apparently.

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Mon May 19, 2014 5:02 pm

Have you ever heard Noel Stallard doing the Father O'Brien act. He has a perfect Irish accent. He can do it and make it funny and believable...I wouldn't attempt it. And you should see/hear him doing Bush Christening...the Irish Accent makes that poem doubly enjoyable. :)

Mal
Preserve the Culture!

manfredvijars

Post by manfredvijars » Mon May 19, 2014 6:38 pm

A Latvian accent is more betterer ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jRQPdZ5Fo1I

Heather

Post by Heather » Mon May 19, 2014 7:17 pm

Yes, I love Manfred's version of Bush Christening - very funny.

As a kid my mother had a recording of Said Hanrahan and I can still hear the (unknown) male voice that did that poem and that's how I read it. It left an impression.