Bryan Kelleher Literary Award

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
David Campbell

Re: Bryan Kelleher Literary Award

Post by David Campbell » Mon Jun 09, 2014 4:26 pm

Thanks, Hal. Entry numbers dropped from 455 in 2012 to 180 in 2013, when the ban on previous place-getters was already in place...so the "previous winners" argument can't have been a factor in that massive fall. A far more likely problem was the increasing severity of the restrictions placed on entries in the last couple of years...not only (as you say) excluding even commended poems, but also banning poems that had been published anywhere in any way, shape or form.

David

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Mon Jun 09, 2014 5:04 pm

Could it be that the bush poetry writing is just running out of energy.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jun 10, 2014 9:56 am

I find if quite strange that Australian Unity claim they have no knowledge of ABPA when their competition was set up for bush poetry and to honour Henry Lawson.
For many years, Australian Unity in association with the Australian Natives' Association (ANA) and Henry Lawson Memorial and Literary Society invited submissions of original bush poetry to be considered for the annual Australian Unity Bryan Kelleher Literary Award.

Bryan Kelleher was a long standing member of the ANA who was passionate about acknowledging and honouring Australian achievements. In 1983, his long association with the Henry Lawson Memorial & Literary Society lead to the annual commemoration of the birth of Henry Lawson on the 17th June—a celebration which Australian Unity continues to support.
Thanks Hal for making contact with them and putting some good points across - Hopefully it will be reinstated. Perhaps members of ABPA who are also members of Australian Unity via Health Insurance could also send a letter to the fund asking them to reconsider.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

David Campbell

Post by David Campbell » Tue Jun 10, 2014 11:25 am

Very strange indeed, Maureen. I wrote to the competition organiser (who I had met several times) in late 2012 making a specific reference to the ABPA website...pointing out that their strict publication rule meant that "...poets are reluctant to post drafts of poems for comment and discussion on the ABPA bush poetry website because that constitutes 'publication' and means they can't subsequently enter them in competitions like the BKA. So a potential exchange of useful information is eliminated."

David

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:16 pm

but we are a nice niche with nice poets Marty - stop being a grumpy bum ;) don't worry - be happy 8-)

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:19 pm

Just cause they ain't on the forum don't mean that are not ABPA members.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Jun 10, 2014 4:58 pm

A lot of kids entered that competition and I know Kym went to a lot of effort to give them encouragement and copies of her books. I don't think the competition was widely advertised.

Maureen K Clifford

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jun 10, 2014 7:41 pm

Thanks Marty - that's a nice complement but it's no big deal really and I love doing it - I reckon we could all share a little more on our personal pages to get our poetic voices heard. For those who have blogs or FB pages why not feature a fellow poets work from time to time. The ripple effect is far reaching :D Share the luuurve ;)

The comp HC WAS a big deal :lol: :lol: I'm very chuffed about that.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Jun 24, 2014 7:38 pm

Thanks Hal and Brenda. Well done, El Presidente

I guess it comes back to what the Competition Organisers are trying to do.

As I would understand it, an objective of the Bryan Kelleher Literary Competition is to foster and encourage the skilled writing of Australian traditional verse. Yes, also to reward excellence, of course.

I think I mentioned the word "Sportsmanship". That is important in ANY competition.

Where is the competition if the same one or two keep fronting up!?? Put yourself in the shoes of the organisers. They see things as I do.

I know that Australian Unity were wonderful to me.. at a time when I was down.

If it all disappears then it is sad, particularly for those kids that I saw whose faces just shone when they got their Awards!! Bryan would have been rapt! If all that is abandoned, well Lawson would have shed a tear too I am sure.

So for old stagers like myself, old hands I guess, it is unfortunate.. but for those young kids whose BIG day in life really had come.. who may indeed be the next Patersons and Lawsons that Australia needs... I am especially sad.

In the end , if it is an Open competition then yes the better writers will always percolate to the top, but let's not forget to actively provide for those writers who are in the wings and with a little encouragement and recognition through this brilliant and prestigious Award may make Mr. Lawson himself blink in wonder.. one day!!!

Let's hope it all gets back on track.

Stephen Whiteside

Post by Stephen Whiteside » Wed Jun 25, 2014 9:59 am

Gary, what do you think would happen to the AFL if the Lions were disqualified after winning three consecutive premierships? As I see it, this is exactly the same situation.
Stephen Whiteside, Australian Poet and Writer
http://www.stephenwhiteside.com.au