Ekphrasis

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Bob Pacey

Re: Ekphrasis

Post by Bob Pacey » Sat May 24, 2014 6:52 pm

Don't blame me Glenny .

WELCOME, membership of the Australian Bush Poets Association (ABPA) comprises of writers, performers and individuals who are interested in bush poetry and enjoy written and live stories in rhyme and metre. If you have an interest in this piece of Australian culture called Bush Poetry, you are welcome here.

The objectives of the Australian Bush Poets Association is to foster and encourage the growth of Bush Poetry in Australia. By definition, Australian Bush Poetry is metred and rhymed poetry about Australia, Australians and/or the Australian way of life.

Just makes me wonder what sort of message we are sending out to those who we encourage to visit the site ? only yesterday I spoke to the mother of a young lady who won the junior citizen of the year out at Clermont and I advised them that the best thing to do would be to log onto the ABPA site where she would not only be able to avail herself of the wonderful tutorials but would be able to see some of the works of the best bush poets in Australia ?.

We are continually grumbling about how membership is dwindling and how hard it is to get young people interested in our craft and I would expect that this site is one avenue where we can push our own barrow.

I know that I and many others have benefited greatly from the site and I think that is important that we remain loyal to its creed.

As Sue said recently ( I will never forget my first post Bob, one of the best things I ever did. Who knows, I probably would never have continued to write and learning how to perform was an added bonus thanks to this mob.
I have made many wonderful friends through Bush Poetry and will always be grateful to this big family.
Thank you all for your positive feedback )

I did not mean to offend but these are my thoughts

A grumpy old bastard you bet.

Bob
Last edited by Bob Pacey on Sat May 24, 2014 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

william williams

Post by william williams » Sat May 24, 2014 7:24 pm

now we all know PC Neville declined the case involving the theft of a bust of Dolly Parton because he said he could not handle it,

the old battler

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sat May 24, 2014 8:30 pm

Your poem and the photo work beautifully together Mal - I have long been a lover of doing this without knowing the term to describe it - I just refer to them as Poetry Paintings. Haikus in particular have an added depth IMO when placed onto a photographic backng and as a complete aside - it is the posts on Facebook that have a photo etc attached to them that get the most attention so for me it works.. Once you have captured someones attention they seem to go on to then read what is attached.

Fixed your photo up to a Landscape for you
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Sun May 25, 2014 9:54 am

Thank you Mistress Glenny :oops:
Preserve the Culture!

Mal McLean

Post by Mal McLean » Sun May 25, 2014 9:57 am

Ta Maureen...some tech things seem to escape me still.
Preserve the Culture!

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun May 25, 2014 10:57 am

Your photo reminds me of one I took at Kinglake after the 2009 fires Mal - black all around except for the green shoots of new tree fern fronds. The contrast was beautiful.

Heather :)

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun May 25, 2014 11:04 am

Wotcha blushing for Mal? I really did love that poem. Be sure you let us know how you get on in that Nillynumbuckle thing. (Good luck!) :D
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Glenny Palmer

Post by Glenny Palmer » Sun May 25, 2014 11:22 am

Hey Bobbo,
You sound genuinely distressed old son. I was only joshing you about your reply to Mal's poem... ;)
(never let a chance go by. lol)

I think it's fine to have other sorts of poetic structures posted on our site, as the vast majority of what is posted is true to our stated 'creed.' Experiencing any genre other than our own can only widen our horizons. It doesn't mean that we are bound by law to embrace them. It's just a different take on our common love of wordsmithing.
I know there is much rubbish out there labelled 'free verse', but so is there in the ballad world. It is frustrating to see obviously 'rubbish' free verse often touted as 'brilliant' when we bush poets are then undeservedly discarded as 'doggerel' writers by the literati. Because we are passionate about our work it can be hurtful also. I understand that. Hypocrisy is never easy to wear. but we must stay mindful of not becoming what we abhor, ie hypocritical, in our passionate defence of our craft. You are perfectly entitled to your views and to how you choose to proceed with your craft. You've done a pretty amazing job of promoting it so far. It's cool Bob. Don't sweat it.

Cheeers
Glenny :D
The purpose of my life is to serve as a warning to others.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sun May 25, 2014 11:43 am

I'm with Glenny on this one Bob. The odd posting and discussion of poems other than "bush" doesn't mean the site is promoting it - it's just a discussion, an opportunity to learn and grow, or in some cases, someone just wanting to share with their mates - some of whom will like it, and others will not. Likewise, the posting of jokes and photographs does not mean the ABPA is promoting jokes or photographs.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Sun May 25, 2014 12:13 pm

Then if that is that case and everyone agrees we should change what we state on the site introduction page because that's not what we are stating.

To me there are can be no grey areas in relation to the poetry posted..

WELCOME, membership of the Australian Bush Poets Association (ABPA) comprises of writers, performers and individuals who are interested in bush poetry and enjoy written and live stories in rhyme and metre. If you have an interest in this piece of Australian culture called Bush Poetry, you are welcome here.

The objectives of the Australian Bush Poets Association is to foster and encourage the growth of Bush Poetry in Australia. By definition, Australian Bush Poetry is metred and rhymed poetry about Australia, Australians and/or the Australian way of life.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!