A query

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Neville Briggs

Re: A query

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat May 03, 2014 7:32 pm

Yes !!!!!!!
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat May 03, 2014 8:49 pm

And where is that written Neville and who decided that rule? :lol:

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sat May 03, 2014 9:50 pm

It's written in the stars and decided by the Creator. :P
Neville

Heather

Post by Heather » Sat May 03, 2014 10:05 pm

....and you have the ear of the "creator" Neville..... :lol:

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Sun May 04, 2014 8:24 am

We can all have the ear, from any place on the earth the stars are there for all to see. Even Richard Dawkins is awestruck by the wonder of the universe.

And when you look at your little Sophie, you know very well what you feel about this relationship and you know that there are things you want to say, in words that you don't yet have. If you find those words, that's poetry. The form of setting them out is incidental, they sort of find their own way then. ;) :)
Neville

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue May 06, 2014 9:23 am

Ok You got me,

I should have said the pattern must be consistent. Sometimes there are two passages (or more I guess) we might look at as a stanza and each of these has their own pattern. As long as it is repetitive and consistent.

Neville, I don't know who laid down the rules but, in everything, there have to be some rules. These are only guidelines and we see variations emerging all the time. Don't forget the old adage that the exception make the rules. If there were no rules we would be lumped in with the 'other mob' who have no rules in writing their 'poems'.

I like to think there is one word that need be heeded 'Consistency'. To write a poem in which a pattern of rhyme and metre is consistent is my goal whenever I sit down to write. This is not to aim for perfect aa,bb,cc,dd or indeed a,b,c,d,a,b,c,d etc but a pattern that can be noted with out overpowering the 'soul' of the story.
To have the metre and rhyme in every stanza the same as the first (or in some cases the first 2 or 3) is what we call Bush Poetry. I proudly wear my 'ABPA' badge. Let us not argue among ourselves.

If someone has a better definition of 'Bush Poetry' I would be delighted to hear it. (and stand corrected)
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue May 06, 2014 9:52 am

zondrae wrote:If there were no rules we would be lumped in with the 'other mob' who have no rules in writing their 'poems'.
Who said there is "another mob " with no rules. Isn't that the postmodernist sin of stereotyping, besides if you are referring to contemporary poetry, an acquaintance with contemporary poetry will reveal that there are indeed "rules" applied, actually poetic conventions which have existed for centuries.
Of course Zondrae there are pretentious and dismal contemporary poetry writers who don't get it, just as there are pretentious and dismal bush poetry writers who don't get it.
So if there is " another mob with no rules "; I would call it, any of those writers who don't get it.

Clive James, who is a contemporary poet had a new poem published just last week. It is in regular iambic metre, a consistent stanza structure and has a set rhyming scheme. And.. each line starts with a capital letter. :) and Clive has done plenty of free form poetry.

Just one last note Zondrae. I have no intention that posting here is to " get you " or catch you out. It's just discussion.
;) :) :)
Neville

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue May 06, 2014 1:14 pm

Thanks Neville,

I did not think, for a moment, you were out to 'get' me. I simply wished to indicate that I was generalising.
There must be rules! otherwise there is chaos or anarchy! This applies to all areas of life.

I have often heard it said (and have said myself) all this 'rules blah blah' only applies when entering competitions which are run under those particular 'rules'. I guess that says it all.

If I wished to enter a competition which stated it was for 'free or blank verse', I would be a fool to waste my time sending in a rhymed poem. (no matter how good or bad it was)
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue May 06, 2014 8:42 pm

I've never heard of a comp that stipulated free or blank verse. It seems only the bush poetry mob stipulates the form.
But I have heard of open poetry comps and if they are fair dinkum about being open then any form should be accepted, but I suppose it is a reasonable assumption that the prevailing fashion will be preferred in open comps.
Neville

keats

Post by keats » Wed May 07, 2014 9:20 am

We are not a 'mob' Neville. We are a like minded group of somewhat varying geographical areas, and varying educational opportunities and social disposition, who enjoy and appreciate a similar literary art form. We are not a mob, as in sheep. Our styles vary as widely as any other group of writers and we just stay within the many formats given to us by the founders of Australian Bush Verse as well as creating and experimenting with some new styles within the accepted limits of the genre we have chosen to write within.

We are not a 'mob'.

Neil