The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Sep 03, 2022 5:22 am

Yes Shelley, it was a bit of good luck and I always like to mention positive stories when sharing the ups and downs of this unique journey here with ABPA members.
Naturally on a nationally important project of this huge size we have our share of bad luck as well... but not much. Hooray!

You just accept it all as part of the game and stay focused on what must be done for Australia before it is all lost .. and the good, old bush balladists as well of course..

1. The tea-set bought at the op-shop for The Bloke and Doreen had a very heavily, internally-discoloured dainty cream jug that was declared as being not up to showing standard. It also had some external staining too. I subsequently used phosphoric acid to soak the stains out of the glazing. Very effective.. and better than bi-carb or even coca-cola. Now the little jug while not perfect is fine enough to present. (Some after photos are below)

I also use phosphoric acid as a soak-cleaner for unsightly stained, glazed toilet bowls. It is brilliant. Nothing else works.. especially the remedies on the net. Empty the bowl and then let the (weak) acid constantly brushed on do its job. Hey Presto... a gleaming bowl which is a pleasure to... use.

2. My back is much improved now, and thank you for your kind wishes.

It is said "Pride comes before a fall"... so when in a hurry, I thought I could ignore sense and good practice in lifting because I was somehow immune from the consequences (Pride), and the Fall soon follows. A good lesson!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Sep 06, 2022 9:07 am

One of my pet hates as mentioned before has always been the way governments at all levels from Local to Federal use their museums, libraries and other "cultural" institutions to push agendas... both political and trendy. They use them as leveraged propaganda tools.... pure and simple.
They even openly admit to "interpreting" things. It is just so totally wrong... and the public servants who obediently sell their soul for a few pieces of gold and do it should be ashamed. But when the population is apathetic or feels helpless at an individual level and understands it is a waste of time objecting (which it is in a way) then there is no opposition to governments doing what they like ... they just go for it.

As I said in a recent post, the present Federal Government refers to and implicitly lauds the nobility of the artist as a Worker.

Their third point of the Five(5) also refers to "supporting the artist as a worker".

In other words one might, when applying for some of your own money back in the form of a Government "Grant" from Arts, accidentally drop something on the floor and then say "Oh I am sorry, I just dropped my Union Membership Card. I better pick it up".

You immediately gain their smiles and approval and shoot to the top of the list.

People think "Oh, this is a Government Centre ... it must represent The Truth. And look at this overwhelming architectural award-winning building".
It all just smacks of veracity. Herein lies The Truth for you.. enter its hallowed halls, ye fellow citizen.

It is not good enough to simply state facts with their displays or videos but they must use them to propagandise.. brainwash... and get into the minds of kids and plant their evil and political agendas. So is this what it means to be an Aussie?

Now....

It is hard to imagine my real JOY when I saw THIS on the net this morning. I was cock-a-hoop with happiness. No longer do I feel alone.

It is a Travel comment (see small pic) just recently made about a government cultural-type establishment which I keep a regular eye on and have hated the loaded and extremely improper political wording of some of its displays.

This astute and quite bravely outspoken person has ventured to say:

"Wonderful layout and friendly staff. A shame some displays seem to express more political statements rather than facts".

Absolutely mate!!! Well said!!! Congratulations.

At least the displays in The Australian Cultural Centre will be factual and neutral... free of that insidious and odious government-style, evil humbug.

I personally guarantee it. :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Sep 07, 2022 8:17 am

Politics and Poetry... Chapter 2

There are many stories I could tell about politicians, Government departments and their minions, and how disgracefully we have been dealt with on this Australian Cultural Centre Project...which has a brilliant section on the great Bush Poets. Governments are all about control. One sobering, cautionary saying I found was "What they cannot control, they destroy".

I have made two recent negative posts (Tony Burke ALP) that might be resented by any one-eyed supporters of The Labor Party. I am non-partisan and will demonstrate that with this counter-tale...

When very advanced into this vital national project, although we disliked politicians because of what they were doing to Australia, we considered that it would be plain rude not to inform our local Federal LNP Member, Keith Pitt MP, about what we were doing. In theory they like to know what is happening in their electorate. So Karen set about producing two professional information folders, properly bound (she only does things 100%).. and this took maybe a couple of weeks of long days to do. Then we fronted up, I even wore a tie, and hand-delivered them to Keith Pitt's local electoral office. The front-office lady was on the surface very nice .. "What a fantastic noble project.. you two are to be congratulated etc" and assured us that she would as a priority place these on Keith's desk and make sure he saw them. We absolutely glowed with pride.

There were two folder copies and when she said Keith was off to Canberra next week, we suggested that he might then pass on the second copy to the then LNP Arts Minister. (yes we were rather naive) I mean "an Australian Cultural Centre"... surely that must hold a modicum of interest to an LNP Arts Minister who hopefully might even love his country?

Nothing was heard... so some considerable time later we followed up these folders with a letter to MP Keith Pitt LNP presented as an "update" on our prior correspondence. Again hand-delivered. This time I detected the lady was a tad less agreeable. Again no acknowledgement resulted. Nothing. By then our excellent articles had started to appear in the local magazine Beacon where we made sure to mention The Australian Cultural Centre Project each time. A copy was left with her.

Again, MP's staffers have a duty to read such quality local magazines and stay up to date with local affairs. We could hardly be missed or ignored ... I thought.

A previous post shows the United Australia Party (Clive Palmer) lady visiting. Although she had little chance, she was lovely and intelligent and gave us great publicity on her fb and website. She asked who I was voting for and of course I said laughingly "Why, you of course". (what else could I say?). "Oh, then could I perhaps trouble you to hand out voting cards and scrutineer for me?"
So I found myself standing in the non-stop pouring rain (I got a nasty chill) handing out cards for a party I had barely any clues about. (At least they were not the Sex Party)

OK.... now...

Keith Pitt LNP turned up there .. so not one to be backward I sidled up to him and said something inconsequential to which he grunted something in reply, barely turning his head to acknowledge my lowly presence. I then said very clearly "Keith what do you think of The Australian Cultural Centre Project?"

His reply was equally brief and clear.

"The Australian Cultural Centre ? Never heard of it."

So therein lies the tough lesson... and there are plenty of other bad stories about those politician types. We have resolved "no more politicians or departments/establishments... even out of courtesy". Finished.. and we were not after money either!

As for the UAP... one might have thought Clive could have said "win or lose....make sure each and every person who worked for my party that day receives a message of personal thanks from me". I suffered health wise.. and had to physically confront a large bullying bloke from the Labor Party, and stay until the late hours checking votes. Unpleasant.

A word of thanks or acknowledgement from Clive??? what do you think?

Put the lot of them together, regardless of party, and they would not be worth ten cents.

Karen and I together would be worth far more to Australia than all of those false types put together.

So that story balances the political books.... I hope... :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sat Sep 10, 2022 3:39 pm

Songbooks and Bush Poetry

Some time ago I posted about Australian Songbooks and what I personally considered to be their cultural importance and thus the vital need to preserve them etc.
My cousin was called up as a National Serviceman. He went into the army, then officer training at Scheyville NSW, graduating from there as a second Lieutenant.

He was a B. Comm from Melb Uni, elected to serve in Vietnam and upon his return, decided to make the Army his career. The Army kept their officers well trained and forever doing courses to maintain their sharpness and capability. One course was held at The Australian Staff College at Queenscliff, Victoria.

When their course was concluded, they held a Closing Dinner, made into an Australian Folk Night. I was playing in a Bush Band then and we were naturally invited to play for this night, thanks to my cousin who was by then a Major. At the end when I was at the mike thanking them for having us play, I gave a special mention to my cousin, referring to him as General which it took a while for him to live down.

This was before the days of PC's, Word Processors and even home dot matrix printers.

I was amazed that for this one special night they had actually printed their own Songbook and done a great job! No computers to do it. At the end of the evening, I managed to scrounge a few excess ones which I kept.

Looking back now, I can see the educational aspect of this although its subtle purpose eluded me at the time. Those blokes, wherever they were all their lives could take part in sing-songs either on the march, bushwalking or around a campfire. The Army had shown them what it was all about (through us playing in concert) and put the words and music in their hands with these song-booklets. The book intro even says "feel free to join the band in any tune you know...."
Community singing was always encouraged and he said they had a pianola at Puckapunyal where the lads would gather around and sing.

OK!!.... I guess my point is that one often sees gatherings of talented ABPA Members around campfires or even just in convivial situations. It is a memorable, bonding and sentimental experience.

If no ABPA Songbook exists (with The Man From Snowy River verse included for people to recite?) then perhaps some enterprising person/poet might kindly produce one!? I can assist with material if needed. It does not have to be flash but freely available.

Why do it?.. well, why not..! It is heaps of FUN.. and creates a special item that will endure.

One often discovers new songs and opening up this army songbook decades later I discover .....

Bundaberg Rum pg 8 (part Song)

We're men who drink it, oh yes men indeed,
Of the bushranging, hairy-necked, olden-time breed.
We shave with our axes, we dress in old rags,
We feed on old boots and we sleep on old bags.

Dull care flies away when our voices resound,
And the grass shrivels up when we spit on the ground.
When we finally die and are buried in clay,
Our bodies are pickled and never decay.

On the Morning Of Judgement when the skies are rolled back
We'll stroll from our graves up the long golden track.
And our voices will echo throughout Kingdom Come
As we toast the archangels in Bundaberg Rum!

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Sep 30, 2022 5:32 am

One of the items (see photo) supporting the Outhouse display (previous post) in the proposed Australian Cultural Centre is this EP recording by Slim Newton released in 1972.

The Redback On The Toilet Seat

"There was a red-back on the toilet seat
When I was there last night,
I didn't see him in the dark,
But boy! I felt his bite!
I jumped high up into the air,
And when I hit the ground,
That crafty red-back spider
Wasn't nowhere to be found.
I rushed in to the missus,
Told her just where I'd been bit,
She grabbed the cut throat razor blade,
And I nearly took a fit.
I said, "Just forget what's on your mind,
And call a doctor please,
'Cause I've got a feeling that your cure
Is worse than the disease."

There was a red-back on the toilet seat
And now I'm here in hospital,
A sad and sorry plight,
And I curse that red-back spider
On the toilet seat last night.
I can't lay down, I can't sit up,
And I don't know what to do,
And all the nurses think it's funny,
But that's not my point of view.
I tell you it's embarrassing,
And that's to say the least
That I'm too sick to eat a bite,
While that spider had a feast!

And when I get back home again,
I tell you what I'll do,
I'll make that red-back suffer
For the pain I'm going through.
I've had so many needles
That I'm looking like a sieve,
And I promise you that spider
Hasn't very long to live!
There was a red-back on the toilet seat
And now I'm here in hospital,
A sad and sorry plight,
And I curse that red-back spider
On the toilet seat last night."

Apparently it sold 100,000 copies and won him numerous awards.

I believe that Slim is still alive at 89 years of age. His last release (2006) was entitled from Bush Ballads T'Bulldust on CD

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Oct 06, 2022 8:03 am

The latest Beacon Magazine article (click on image below to view) gives our story of the Aussie Outhouse and the construction of the small model. It stands only 30cm/12" high! This easily recognisable and yet humble edifice has a significant place in the Australian cultural landscape.

A neighbour recently visited and instantly commented on the model's incredible workmanship and remarkably fine detail.

Compliments, or even just a few words in support of this Australian Cultural Centre Project are sadly infrequent, so to have someone inspect this model and actually be intelligent and perceptive enough to truly appreciate its "workmanship and detail" was extremely uplifting!

That understanding I think comes especially from people who have crafted things with their own hands and know the skills and work involved.

Australia in its short history has achieved an outstanding amount for a small-population country.
We are proud to have the sole responsibility of gathering it all together for the first time and establishing Australia's true culture and thus defining for the first time a clear National Identity... that is if it does not send me broke beforehand. The cost all comes out of my own pocket. :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Oct 17, 2022 4:51 pm

Although perhaps of limited interest to the Public, here are some items of Jim Grahame memorabilia from my collection that might instead be of interest to fellow Bush Poetry enthusiasts.

1. This small card (pictured below) shows a caricature of poet Jim Grahame (Henry Lawson's Mate) and measures 7cm x 11cm On the reverse it has the touching inscription :

"To Carl from The Vagabond on the other side. Jim Grahame"

It was likely gifted to Carl by Jim on the night of the book launch. I suspect Jim kept a few of these in his wallet and inscribed and gifted them to friends or admirers.

A recent hour-long chat I had to a member of the Marchant family in Leeton resulted in the following :
Carl was actually Carl Marchant, a relative of Leigh Marchant. Leigh was a great mate of Jim's (and Henry Lawson and Mary Gilmore) and also President of the Leeton Testimonial Committee who produced Under Wide Skies. Leigh was responsible for getting Jim his (albeit short-lived) Literary pension... and he took a special trip on Jim's behalf in order to lobby politicians directly for it.

Leigh was gassed in WW1 and suffered from that. (One could doubtless look up his war records but enough is enough.. at least at this point) He was a very talented actor and Reciter and loved reciting bush verse. He had a phenomenal memory and could step in to any Shakespeare play as an emergency as he knew the lines by heart. He also liked music and singing.

2. This significant (bush ballad related) program (very rare) from Jim's 1947 book launch (see previous detailed post) has the inscription of Jim Grahame in the margin, again to Carl Marchant. (It is the second such program that I have.)

"To Carl - my Cobber - with best wishes from Jim Grahame"

These items (including a comprehensive Book Review of the time published in leaflet form) will be included in Jim's display.

I just think, rightly or wrongly, that this sort of stuff should not be lost to Time and future generations, so I gather it up .. for better or worse.. and try and make it interesting. It is all about the best in Australian Literature.

The Drifter's Wife (an extract) by Jim Grahame

For years an' years it's been the same,
Just settled down, then shiftin',
Him gettin' jobs an' gettin' sacked,
An' pitchin' camps and driftin',
An' wearin' rags an' washin' rags
That shame me when they're dryin',
An' makeshift beds an' makeshift meals
An' hungry children cryin'.

At times when frownin' shopmen call
To see why we're not payin',
I feel ashamed an' flustered-like,
An' don't know what I'm sayin',
But when my man is in a job
A ray of hope is shinin',
An' on the clouds there seems to be
A kind of silver linin'.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Oct 19, 2022 8:01 pm

To finish the story....

This copy of Under Wide Skies from my collection is #12 of the run of 1000 copies by outstanding bush poet Jim Grahame. It was (I believe) special because it was purchased for one guinea (one pound, one shilling) on the night of the book launch at the Roxy Theatre, Leeton. 1947

It bears the stamp of Carl E A Marchant.

Together with the above keepsakes of Carl's (inscribed card and program) it completes the story of Jim and Carl.

I first came across Jim Grahame when I discovered the book Under Wide Skies in the Cornstalk Antiquarian Bookshop in Glebe Point Rd in Sydney when I was on a work assignment. I could not put it down. Why such a brilliant poet should not be hailed as a literary giant (as he was at least in his day) I could not fathom.
It was like finding gold. The book was slightly water-damaged but I resolved to buy it nevertheless. The owner of that shop (now on-line outlet) was later to become an important contact and friend of mine, as happens when you collect things in those circles.

Looking Back (a short extract) by Jim Grahame

It is strange how one remembers those old-fashioned habitations
With the horseyards and the cowyards and the toolsheds grouped around;
The shepherds' huts, the shearers' huts and crude homesteads of the Stations,
Where the mailman changed his horses when the coach was outward bound.
To the far-flung little Townships of the widespread Never-Never,
Creaking 'neath its load of mailbags for the Exiles of the West;
Swaying over stony ridges till the axles almost sever,
With a team long-tailed and shoeless, loping gamely five abreast.

(..... )

A thunderstorm was brewing and some stockmen called for shelter,
But they found the shanty empty and they searched for him in vain;
His aimless course they followed until rain began to pelter,
And his tracks were swamped and buried and were never seen again.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Mon Oct 24, 2022 2:20 pm

You are certainly expanding your collection, Gary!
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Mon Oct 24, 2022 3:20 pm

Indeed you are, Gary - it's amazing the things you find. This is a very special treasure!