The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Re: The Spoken Word in Bush Poetry

Post by Gary Harding » Sun May 22, 2022 7:40 am

When Banjo Paterson, the author of The Man From Snowy River ballad, came back from the Boer War (war correspondent), he embarked on a country lecture tour where he shared his own War experiences.

With the aid of newspaper articles of the day, it is possible to track Banjo's tour.
When he spoke of victorious battles especially, the audience are reported to have gone wild with patriotic fervour.
Banjo must have loved every minute of it..

Those newspaper articles refer to Mr. Paterson using a Magic Lantern Slide Projector as an aid to his lecture.

It occurred to us to recreate this popular Boer War tour of Banjo's... all in its own room. (It will thus also supplement our concise military display)

Over the years, we have gathered supporting items such as this rare, expensive and museum-quality Magic Lantern Slide Projector.. a Johnson "Optiscope" Model 6 dated 1905. Love it! It is in near mint condition and around the correct time period. (see photo).
As the footnote to the attached period advertisement says, "Miss Mapstone added to the atmosphere by providing accompaniment on the piano, while lantern slides were also used to great effect".

Also pictured is a CD of over 1000 Boer War photos that will form an entertaining Slide Show, much as it would have been then. It will appear to emanate from our projector.

The addition of some crowd scenery, Banjo's (replicated) spoken commentary from an actual interview, antiques etc, enlarged reproductions of a newspaper report.. and some enthusiastic crowd noises courtesy of YouTube... all gives realism.

You will be able to shut your eyes and imagine being in a big country hall with the famous Banjo Paterson talking about the war to an enthusiastic reception.

So Banjo's Boer War Tour hits the road again!! but only at The Australian Cultural Centre where it will be among countless other Australian subjects. Nobody else does it.

Provided always that we can find a Partner... a (wealthy) person who cares for their country.. or even just CARES two hoots about it will be fine.

I am finding THAT person in Australia is rarer than an Optiscope . :)
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri May 27, 2022 6:37 pm

An intriguing aspect of Australian Culture is its plethora of patriotic national songs.

One can feel the heartfelt love of Australia ... the emotion coming through.

I have previously posted about good Australian songbooks and the material for convivial gatherings and campfires they contain. (Folk music is a separate field entirely)
This is in addition to some Australian wartime stirring music... yet another category.

These patriotic songs (pictured) or odes might be considered to be a different aspect of the same cultural thing. Getting together and singing. Have done that many times.

The following three sheet musics are just some samples drawn from my large sheet music collection of Patriotic Songs about Australia. They will be magnificently presented under spotlights. Treated with the honour and respect due to them.

1. Long Live Australia 1916 Est. Value : $240 - $280

This is the only copy recorded anywhere that I can find, other than the one at the National Library which is in ordinary condition and has what I think are blood stains on it. Mine is in mint condition. It is rare for sure.

2. The Star-Cross Flag of Australia. 1908 Est. Value : $60 - $80

3. I Still Call Australia Home 1980 Value : $15

I feel that it is important to have material that visitors can relate to. After all, it is very much about The Present as well as The Past.

Hence Peter Allen's effort!

I hope this is interesting. There are countless Australian subjects to be presented ONLY at The Australian Cultural Centre.
About time this is done for everyone... and so, we are doing it! :)

Cheers, Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon May 30, 2022 6:23 pm

Visitors to The Australian Cultural Centre (proposed) will be introduced to The Australian Larrikin.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Larrikin

"He's a bit of a larrikin" is still an expression in common usage of course. The Sentimental Bloke (C J Dennis) character was considered to be a lovable larrikin.

The Australian Larrikin is unsurprisingly also enshrined in a beer. (see pic)

Additionally presented is the 1950's and early 60's similar social phenomenon - "The Bodgie (and Widgie)".

Bodgies were the scourge of Australian Milk Bars, defacers of telephone boxes and terrorisers of little old ladies!

The expression ".. bit of a bodgie (rough) job" still survives. There is even a book containing an academic study of The Bodgie (see pic).

Larrikins and Bodgies...an Australian "Cultural Curiosity" perhaps.. or is culture not the right word?
Last edited by Gary Harding on Wed Jul 06, 2022 6:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Jun 03, 2022 6:38 am

Jim Grahame Bush Poet Part 1

In recent times I have made the happy acquaintance of Mr. Jim Everett who is the grandson of outstanding Bush Poet, Jim Grahame. (see photo of the two Jim's)
Also I have connected with his daughters (Jim Grahame's great grand-daughters). One daughter is the proud possessor of Jim Grahame's writing desk shown in the photo!

As mentioned in a previous post, there was a tribute night to Jim Grahame at the Roxy theatre in 1947 which doubled as a book launch for Under Wide Skies and I am privileged to have one of only three programmes for that night in existence that I am aware of. The other two are in Museums/Libraries.

I have scanned the main pages of the programme for the information of ABPA members (see pic)

John O'Brien (Around The Boree Log) as can be seen in Item 9, sent a message that was read out.

With aid of my friends at The Victorian State Library who know how to find things when I cannot, I have managed to locate this actual message written by John O'Brien!!! That is a real WOW! From one great poet to another.

LETTER FROM JOHN O'BRIEN -

(Rev. Father Hartigan, formerly. Parish Priest of Narrandera)

'I am really sorry that I am unable to accept the kind invitation and that of Mr. Marchant to be with you on the 28th when you will gather to do honour to Jim Grahame. I am one of a wide circle who read everything he writes. Long before I knew who he was, I was an admirer of his verses and since meeting him I have found that the man is as fine as his work. It has been a puzzle to me that a complete collection of what he has written was not given to the world long ago; for this, I think his modesty is responsible. Let me thank your committee for giving us now what we have waited for. Let me also compliment the citizens of Leeton for being Australia's mouth-piece in paying tribute to her poet. Writers are mostly neglected while they are alive. You are offsetting that neglect by letting Jim Grahame know how he is regarded while he can appreciate it. He'll never read his tombstone when he's dead. What you are doing is, as far as I know, unique in the history of Australian literature. Here's success! I am sorry that I cannot be with you, for I feel that the Spirits of the Bush Bards who have exchanged their earthly harps for the Eternal Trumpets — the Old Mate Henry Lawson, Banjo, the ill-fated Barcroft Boake, C. J. Dennis, and a host of unremembered voices who sang the first authentic songs this land can call her own, will be with you on Friday night, forming a Grand company among whom Jim Grahame is not the least.'

This address is not contained in the book about John O'Brien by Fr. Frank Mecham, so I thought it worthwhile placing it here, not just for interest but also in the subtle hope that it will thus somehow not be lost to Father Time and instead find its proper place in posterity.

Henry Lawson spoke highly of Jim Grahame's work. “Your stuff is all good, some splendid,” Lawson enthused, “It throws all mine on similar lines on to the Men’s Hut rubbish heaps altogether. But then you had all the experience and I next to none—except for six months in Bourke and beyond.”

This is not something for the Public who might find it dry and dull, but more for ABPA enthusiasts who perhaps share a love of these Great Men of Australian Literature. I try not to be academic in approaching this subject... and make it fun instead.

(more to follow)....

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Jun 06, 2022 8:24 am

Jim Grahame Part 2

Jim Grahame (J. W. Gordon) was a mate of Henry Lawson's and in the following transcription, Jim describes how he met Lawson in Bourke

https://www.slv.vic.gov.au/sites/defaul ... rahame.pdf

It is a worthwhile read because it gives one a feel for those days... and that is also useful if one wants to write ballads that reflect those times, especially in the first person.

There is the excellent book "Mates : the Friendship that sustained Henry Lawson" by Gregory Bryan (Oct 2018). It is a dual biography of the two men.

With help from friends at the Vic State Library, I was trying to chase down a copy of the speech given at Jim's Honour night in Leeton (see previous post) by Jack Moir. It is item 17 on the programme (see previous post). More about this, the incredible Jack Moir and my tenuous connection to him later...

I well knew (with some envy) that the vast JK Moir Papers and Books etc had been bequeathed to the SLV so it was a good place to start. In delving into those papers and in particular the section about Jim and his honour night and also scanning the net, I came cross this fantastic sketch of Jim on the SLV site.

As can be seen, it was sketched by Harry H. (Hastings) Pearce on 12/04/1949 only four months prior to Jim's passing. It is noted as being done from life and completed at 11.00pm! at Jack Moir's place (which was at 474 Bridge Rd, Richmond, Vic.)

Jim Grahame has certified this by signing on the collar. That is his autograpgh, well recognised.

Mr. H.H. Pearce is another story and I have some of his material in the collection... buried somewhere. I am afraid to go in amongst all the stuff looking for it because I might get lost and never find my way out!!

The Australian Soldier (Jim Grahame) an extract

Oh! He is a carefree casual cove,
A rollicking sort of a bloke,
With generous heart and an open hand
To a cobber that’s down and broke.
He will often drink, and he’ll curse and swear,
But we’re proud of him just the same;
He’s tough and rough and hard to bluff,
But heavens above he’s game.

He may have been born on a drover’s camp
And reared on a drover’s pack,
Where his only school was the hill or plain
That skirted the droving track.
And he may speak with a halting drawl
And slouching his gait, and slow.
But he’s hard as nails and he’s straight and true,
And is ready to give it a go.

He may have a stoop and a sunken chest
With a dent on his lantern jaw,
And a sunburnt nose on a freckled face
And teeth like a cross cut saw.
And yet he is brave as his brothers were
When they fought on the other side,
On the desert sands or on gallant ship,
With the foe like a rising tide.

*Jim's younger son Kenneth Grahame Gordon was Killed in Action at Tarakan 12th May, 1945. Aged 22 years
Last edited by Gary Harding on Thu Jun 09, 2022 6:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Jun 09, 2022 7:34 am

In a post in 2010, Manfred Vijars ("Manfred") made the following comment :

"I must confess that I was never a great fan of C.J. (Dennis) until I got the ABC tapes of Ron Haddrick doing Ginger Mick. That pair of cassettes got a lot of mileage. Still not a great fan of the street venacular of his time and often cringe ... "

I recently posted about Ron Haddrick and his recitation performed on a 1968 EP.

To complete the story, here from the collection is the double-cassette set that Manfred referred to.. Ron Haddrick doing The Moods of Ginger Mick.

It is included in our absolutely enormous and stunningly presented "The Sentimental Bloke" display. It has taken years to gather together.. but in the end knowing you have something so unique and vitally Australian... and that only you have bothered about and cared to do, is pleasing. There is a lot of personal pride and satisfaction in accomplishing it for All Australians, present and future..

This is the sort of display subject (The Sentimental Bloke) that should be on travelling exhibitions for people, instead of the narrow and often hilarious "art" rubbish, that does the rounds here.. IMO of course. :) Then again the government people that arrange it are the narrow "arty set" with no interest in Australia, and very fortunately for us I suppose in the broad picture... no initiative.

Also pictured below is our extremely rare copy of the 1932 Sheet Music of the song from the film... The Sentimental Bloke.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Fri Jun 10, 2022 8:45 pm

Australian Culture comes in many delightful and fun forms... and one thing that is identifiably Australian is The Aeroplane Jelly advertising jingle.

Apparently the Aeroplane Jelly Jingle was created by Albert Lenertz and Les Woods and first played at 1pm on a Sunday afternoon early in 1930 on radio station 2KY.

Shown below is our own classic copy of the catchy song from the Sunday Telegraph of December 1956. It is a bit yellowed with time but rather nice and will present well when framed. Visitors can identify with it, which is important. Aeroplane Jelly is still going strong today and is sold in many flavours. I just bought a range of six flavours in order to celebrate.

Also the Vegemite advertising song "we're happy little vegemites, as bright as bright can be.." We may provide small hotel-breakfast samplers for guests.

I had some Americans stay here and I put the Vegemite out on the breakfast table. They likened it to salty axle-grease. However their faces shone when they spied the peanut butter. There is certainly no accounting for taste!

We intend to feature Aeroplane Jelly and Vegemite with their famous jingles too. After all, it is real Australian Culture... and The Australian Cultural Centre will be the only place that one can proudly find all of this together.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Jun 12, 2022 4:16 pm

A nice memory... Nariel Creek Folk Festival. Shearer's Tally Bush Band.. and friends.

A mixed and yet very powerful musical lineup.

L-R Pete Lindenbaum, Barry George, Michael Harris, Brian Poynter, Pete Dwyer, Gary Caulfied, Gary Harding, Jackie George, Steve Begley.

About some of the people then in the Band photo :
Barry George ... incredible flute player... and many other instruments and vocals. Civil Engineer.
Pete Lindenbaum.... brilliant lagerphone player. Also managed Endeavour records.
Mick Harris. .. a past member of the prestigious Bushwackers
Pete Dwyer.. aka "Mandolin Pete".. also later a member of Captain Moonlight, much loved and sadly passed away a few years ago.
Jackie George... Barry's wife.
Steve Begley.. still around but does not play banjo now.
Gary Caulfield... still best mate of mine. We have the same sense of humour... which could be good or bad.

Kinda scary. Having the honour of doing the big evening bush-dance later on. Nightime. Flood lights on the oval.

Looking out from the stage with people dancing forever.. as far as you could see...and huge dust clouds generated by the dancers...all illuminated by the oval flood-lights.

It was crazy stuff.. looking back. The Folk Music scene as it was. Good fun though. :)
Last edited by Gary Harding on Fri Oct 21, 2022 7:11 am, edited 3 times in total.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Tue Jun 21, 2022 7:06 am

Jim Grahame Bush Poet Part 3

As mentioned in a previous post, there was a tribute night to poet Jim Grahame at the Roxy theatre in 1947 which doubled as a book launch for Under Wide Skies. Item 17 on the program was an address by Mr. J K Moir. (Knight Grand Cheese of the Melbourne Bread and Cheese Club - dedicated to Mateship, Art and Letters).

Jack (see photo) wrote the introductory notes to Under Wide Skies, making him very significant.

With help from friends at the Vic State Library, I was trying to chase down a copy of Jack's address.

What transpired was that although this address was listed, it was clearly never given. The overall trip from Melbourne to Leeton and return was doubtless no small exercise, as well as being expensive for him. In the invitation to Jack, courtesy of the SLV (see photo), the Leeton people say they are unable to fund or support him in this trip. So, it never happened.

However .... in the local paper the following appeared at the time :

Mr. J. K. Moir, president, Bread and Cheese Club, Melbourne: I'll be thinking of you on Friday, wish I could see you being lionised and share your pleasure. Good luck, old boy. Recognition has been a bit tardy. I'm overjoyed it has come. Cheerio, forgive brevity — Jack (Mr. J. K. Moir)

In return, Jim Grahame inscribed a copy of the program to Jack (see photo) and it is in the Moir Papers (SLV)

"To comrade and mate Jack Moir who so far away did much to make this honour night and the Book "Under Wide Skies" a success, Jim Grahame"

I have 10 (or 11?) original copies of Under Wide Skies. Value is around $150 - $200 each. A remarkable letter was enclosed in one of them and it was addressed to Jack Moir regarding Under Wide Skies. I have it somewhere and wish I could put my hands on it again. In it the writer says as I recall "I never knew the old bloke (Jim Grahame) had it in him (to write so much material)"

All these blokes (and others) made a huge contribution to Australia... and in this case to Bush Poetry (Literature). It is my intention that these great literary people should not be consigned to oblivion or dusty library boxes and shelves, but instead have a well deserved permanent place in front of the public and overseas visitors. The trick is to do it in a way that is entertaining/ interesting/ educational.

As fellow dedicated ABPA Members, if you find these posts interesting, please do not be fearful of saying so. All my time is dedicated to establishing The Australian Cultural Centre and it would be nice to know that the time out taken to produce these posts is worthwhile and perhaps appreciated by fellow members. :)

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:24 pm

Australian music is a very big part of Australian Culture of course, and the idea is to cover it by dividing it into sections. Popular, Folk, Bush etc. Some performers will have their own display such as The Seekers.

One section will be Novelty Songs. Sort of clever and humorous compositions.

Here is an example....

Lucky Starr and his famous song "I've Been Everywhere"

Having the actual sheet music (pictured below) allows one to be accurate with the lyrics. The original 45rpm record is buried here somewhere under a pile of disorganised stuff.

I"ve been ev'ry where, Man!
I"ve been ev'ry where, Man!
Crossed the deserts bare Man!
Breathed the morning air, Man!
Of travel I've had my share Man!
I've been ev'ry where..

I've been to....

... Gulgong, Adelong, Billabong, Cabramatta, Paramatta, Wangaratta, Coolangatta, What's it matter....

In this case he recites the names of 93 places in Australia. The idea is to have a large map of Australia and put map-pins in all the places Lucky Starr went... but as always, we will see, if and when. Well... it's all good fun and never been done! :)