HOMEWORK PROMPTS FOR JULY 2023

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

HOMEWORK PROMPTS FOR JULY 2023

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Jul 02, 2023 10:58 am

I'm back - but please accept my apologies for my absence in June .... 'Life' just got in the way folks. Nothing specific but as sometimes happens, the batteries were flat, the well was empty and the door was firmly closed.

However here we are with a new month stretched before us, I wrote 3 poems yesterday so the muse has returned and then reading all of your lovely writes to the last set of prompts gave me the inspiration for July's subject matter - and that is the things that we all knew in our past that have now disappeared ... just like those bags of broken biscuits.

Some things perhaps still linger in outback camps, such as jaffle irons and kerosine fridges - but they are not generally up for repurchase these days, and seems that today's younger generation have no idea how to use a rotary dial phone - or .... if I am to believe a ? put onto a Facebook page, how to sew on a button. :o :roll:

Use whatever you remember yourselves or remember these perhaps to jog your memories - these seem to have done a runner over the past 20 years or so or are becoming more obsolete each day.

Rotary dial phones

Gramophone and associated records that went with them .. vinyl records being 7”, 10” and 12” played at 33 RPM, 45 RPM and 78 RPM.

Carbon paper - when did you last see that?

White pages phone books - When the hell did they disappear???? How do people find numbers these days when their smartphones/computers die?

Daily mail deliveries of handwritten or typed documents by our local posties?

Encyclopaedias - once every home aspired to having a set of these and they were expensive.

Bench seats in cars. Romance took a dive when they were discontinued - as did perhaps unwanted pregnancies :lol:

Cheque Books

Anyway you get the idea and I am sure you all have your own special memories of things that have just up and disappeared. Let's see if you can capture and share them with your words.

Go to it my lovelies.

Cheers,

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.