Homework 26/4/2021 - By Their Covers...

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Catherine Lee

Homework 26/4/2021 - By Their Covers...

Post by Catherine Lee » Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:56 pm

By Their Covers…

I’d wandered down the front to watch the sunset pierce the sea;
the Dry had come, so I felt happy - footloose, fancy free!
The track was quite deserted, which was rare at such a time,
but there it was, the fiery sky – breathtakingly sublime.

A sudden shadow crossed my path, sent shivers down my spine—
some black crows cawed above me and I took this as a sign;
no reason for my hackles raised, yet overwhelming fear
was real as he approached me, and his smile seemed more a leer.

The stench of grog was overpowering—something worse beneath—
and when he spoke his mouth revealed his broken, yellowed teeth.
His face was jet black, creased with age, yet standing tall and lean
he seemed possessed of presence I viewed threatening and obscene.

His smoker’s voice was raspy as he whispered, “Don’t be scared,”
(which only served to make things worse, for now my thoughts were aired).
I backed away instinctively to keep some space between,
and waited for his tale of woe - potential begging scene.

I figured he was calculating just when he could strike,
and wondered if he sensed my cold and palpable dislike.
Then slowly he drew closer, gently, like I was a child,
as if he’d charmed the skin off snakes or dingoes in the wild.

I briefly froze, while casting anxious eyes around in fright—
preparing for the moment I’d deem suitable for flight.
He reached inside his dilly bag, produced in trembling hand
the wallet I’d so clearly dropped, so I could understand…

How cruel it is to judge appearance—biased and unwise—
for hidden is the cause of many shadows in some eyes;
we jump to wrong conclusions, uninformed and uncontrolled,
whilst unaware that deep within can beat such hearts of gold.

© Catherine Lee, April 2021

Shelley Hansen

Re: Homework 26/4/2021 - By Their Covers...

Post by Shelley Hansen » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:59 am

Wow, Catherine (I seem to be always saying this!)

An excellent poem and a good lesson too - how often the most daunting exterior appearances can conceal gentleness and honesty within. Love it.
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Thu Apr 22, 2021 1:19 pm

Thanks so much, Shelley - thought I wasn't going to make it this time! :)

Ron

Post by Ron » Thu Apr 22, 2021 7:07 pm

So glad you did make it in time Catherine, otherwise we wouldn't have been treated to such a fine poem!
So true isn't it, the 'book by the cover first impressions', and you have really nailed the essence of that!
Nicely done!
Ron.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:02 pm

"By Their Covers" ....

I like "By Their Covers" because it is well-written, concise and holds my interest. If it takes 40 secs to read, it is time well spent.

IMO.. while it is a poem, I think it is also very much an interesting "rhyming story" with its simple message.
I especially like good arms-length philosophical verse like "By Their Covers" because they are somehow "worth" reading.

A solid precept (as conveyed in your "By Their Covers) highlighted in rhyme with correct meter causes it to linger a bit more than just plain words perhaps?

I enjoy your subjects because they are upbeat and refreshing! :) Never are they merely current and over-hashed "issues"... or about death. No social crusading. (.. but that's just me though...). Just good bush verse.

I am not one for getting the right descriptive words but there is an underlying pleasantness and perception in your writing... plus a deep sensitivity that stands constant.

Anyway at least your poor unappealing guy in "By Their Covers" had one redeeming trait.. Honesty! (as long as the returned wallet was not empty of course.)

Your ballad is another gem and I hope you store it away. Please keep your writing going..even through the hot Thai summer! ha
I've said too much as usual.. but good luck.

Congratulations on your recent excellent Blackened Billy verse judging too. It has probably been acknowledged in other ABPA posts but I would like to say, as everybody else would be thinking too I am sure, "Good Job". I am certain that judging is a challenging task.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Apr 22, 2021 10:57 pm

Hi Catherine

Let me start by saying that I thought for a moment there was a different person looking out from your photo - nice smile too.

The only trouble in coming late with comments is that it's all been said already.

I liked your poem, it's very well written as has already been said, ant it tells a good story (so important in Bush Poetry I reckon.)
Your choice of words was also spot on, and it also has a nice moral to it about not prejudging things or people at first sight.
Something most of us probably need to be gently reminded about from time to time - Well done Catherine.

Terry

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Sun Apr 25, 2021 8:35 pm

Thank you so much, Ron, Gary and Terry. You are so right about judging books by their covers – it’s natural that we all do this at some point, and let’s face it, sometimes our feelings can be right, ha!... However, whilst our ‘sixth sense’ is invaluable and should be listened to, unless we are feeling under actual threat, it’s kind to give people the benefit of the doubt....Thank you, Ron, for making me very glad I ended up writing this one with your very warm words - and yes, Terry, I figured it was about time I updated a few pictures on the computer, as the previous one was taken six years ago, so thanks for the compliment on the smile as well as the poem!... Gary, when you articulate so clearly what comes through to you in my poems, you remind me of what inspired me to write a particular piece in the first place and look even deeper. I also greatly appreciate your kind words relating to perception and sensitivity. Sincere thanks too, for your warm congratulations on the BB judging –it was indeed a challenging project, although extremely rewarding. Wishing you all a wonderful week xx

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:07 pm

WOW! You raised the bar high on that one Catherine - well done for thinking outside the box as well with it - masterfully handled and a great use of the prompts. The underlying moral of the tale is of course sound, and a lesson that we can all take on board as well. I'd be pretty sure that all of us have tried to not be judgemental of others, but having said that I know on occasions I have failed.

I enjoyed the read and the (to me) unexpected twist in the tail. Nicely crafted :D
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Tue Apr 27, 2021 12:39 pm

I'm so glad you liked it, Maureen, and thank you so much for your very warm feedback. Thanks also for the encouraging boost about thinking out of the box, because I'm not normally particularly known for it, in more ways than one, ha! ...Yes, whilst it's true that there are times our feelings about people are absolutely right and we should proceed with caution (I know for a fact that my sixth sense has 'saved' me a few times), there are also many times when we are completely wrong, and when this happens it is a humbling lesson indeed. xx