Homework September 'The Night Nurse'

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Terry

Homework September 'The Night Nurse'

Post by Terry » Thu Sep 22, 2022 7:17 pm

This may not quite fit the subject asked, I doubt if my mind is in good enough shape just now to do it justice.
Although this little poem is about one nurse on my first night after my op, I must hasten to add I was looked after by many other angels while there.

The Night Nurse
Through the misty haze of ebbing pain, I sensed her presence there,
bringing comfort in the knowledge that my needs were in good care.
Gentle fingers next had brushed my hand by someone close to me,
and then out of the gloom - the face of an Angel smiled at me.

Through what seemed like endless hours of fitful sleep I know she’s near,
ready to ease any passing pain, calm doubts, or hidden fear.
Though there’s thanks to the surgeon whose skill had freed me of my ill,
it’s the smile of that Angel when needed most, that lingers still.

© T.E. Piggott
Last edited by Terry on Sun Sep 25, 2022 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Homework September 'The Night Nurse'

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Fri Sep 23, 2022 3:10 pm

Nothings set in concrete here Terry and I do hope that you are feeling a lot better and regaining your Joie de Vivre in life back. When we are unwell those nurses are an absolute lifeline - I think they all underestimate themselves entirely. The surgeon might perform the miracle but it is the nurses who give us the strength to get through each pain racked day on the journey back to normality. The smile of an Angel indeed....probably why so many poems written during war time make mention of their nurses.
On the positive side you are now more than 50% through your recovery time - so onward and upwards my friend - the finish line is in view. :D
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Sep 23, 2022 5:49 pm

Thanks Maureen

It's a bit rough around the edges but will tidy it up one of these days

As mentioned, The Op appears to have been a complete success,
but unfortunately, I caught chest virus (probably in hospital) and to make matters worse the wound got an infection.
So, I'm having to have it dressed at the surgery every second day, but the good news is, that it is improving.
The other good news is that I also have a special Angel here at home who is running herself ragged looking after me.
Looks like it could be another 5 or 6 weeks before I'm finally over this damn thing. (no driving for about a month)
But in the end, it will be well worth this small setback.

Terry

Catherine Lee

Post by Catherine Lee » Fri Sep 23, 2022 7:50 pm

Ah, this is so true, Terry. Such a touching piece that immediately brings back memories of times I too have awoken to see the face of a kind angel smiling down at me in the past and felt such emotions of gratitude and reassurance.... I am so sorry to hear about the virus and infection - a double whammy on top for you indeed, and of course this makes for a longer period of recovery. But as Maureen says, you are halfway there and the light at the end of the tunnel is now getting brighter - I'm sure your Angel at home has a lot to do with this as well. Take care, Terry, and be kind to and patient with yourself at this time xx

Terry

Post by Terry » Fri Sep 23, 2022 11:21 pm

Thanks Catherine

As I mentioned to Maureen - it's still a bit rough, the mind hasn't quite caught up yet.

Also, thanks for the concern, but although I've had this bit of a setback, as you stated, there's a bright light at the end of the tunnel.

Terry

Ron

Post by Ron » Mon Sep 26, 2022 4:51 pm

Yes I've been down that road a few times myself Terry, and you describe it so well!
They are worth their weight in gold for sure.
Glad to hear the op was successful and that you are on the mend, even with the post op setback. Also those special angels at home are definately worth there weight in gold too aren't they.
Take it easy mate and keep on keepin' on.
Cheers
Ron

Terry

Post by Terry » Tue Sep 27, 2022 11:20 am

Thanks Ron

Improving rapidly mate, I'm a real terror with my flash new walker.
Though my home Angel has a strict set of rules, that I'm forever in trouble for infringing.

Terry