The Final March

All registered Forum users can post bush poetry dedicated to all those who served
Heather

The Final March

Post by Heather » Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:21 pm

Terry

Re: The Final March

Post by Terry » Mon Nov 07, 2011 8:25 pm

Yes I agree Marty, the loss of these brave young men seems such a waste to me.

A very touching poem Heather.

Terry

mummsie

Post by mummsie » Mon Nov 07, 2011 10:02 pm

And what a high cost these families pay, well written Heather.

Sue
the door is always open, the kettles always on, my shoulders here to cry on, i'll not judge who's right or wrong.

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:59 am

G'day Heather,

You have done a very touching and well written job of this subject. It is sad that we still, in 2011, have combat where men kill men ('men' meaning human not gender). Will we ever come to the realisation that war is futile.

Thank you for sharing this one with us. It has touched my heart. It has made me thankful that no one in my family has had to serve their country in uniform. While I know that a defence force is necessary and we must support our allies, I thank God I have not had the terrible personal loss that the families of the fallen must endure.
Zondrae King
a woman of words

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 08, 2011 10:14 am

Thankyou for your comments Marty, Terry, Matt, Sue and Zondrae. There's not much to say really, it's tragic no matter which way you look at it.

I did use fictional names here in case you were trying to look up the particular soldier. My inspiration came from a real soldier but his story is the story of so many others that names really don't matter.

Heather :)

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:02 am

I did look up the name because I thought initially it might have been one of the three we just bought back..the name might be fictional the emotion and feeling isn't ...well done Heather.

We have quite a few here now on site that relate to the Afghanistan conflict...wonder if it might???? be worthwhile compiling them into a separate file for posterity...any thoughts on that???

Cheers

Maureen
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 08, 2011 11:14 am

I just wondered about using the name without knowing the family, their thoughts etc and not wanting to have them come across it accidentally. For this poem it could be any repatriated soldier (or all of them) and it probably doesn't matter.

It's probably only worth putting poems relating to Afghanistan together if someone is going to look for them and use them Maureen. What you might want to do is send any poems you have on the subject to the International War Veterans Poetry site. Marty has quite a few there and I have a couple.

Heather :)

Heather

Post by Heather » Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:27 pm

Sorry Marty, I should have known Dave would have poems there too. I was on the site the other day and saw your name.

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:39 pm

Well done Heather. I was going to ask about the names, but I see that's been answered.

I like the way you have brought it together into just a few lines, I think that's all that's needed, it says it all. You have got just the right mood for the solemn occasion.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:56 pm

Wow! Heather, don't know how I missed this it is beautiful & such a wonderful tribute, also congratulations on all on site here accepted by IWVPA, here is the link http://iwvpa.net/delaneydj/index.php

To receive an award from IWVPA is truly an honour as the author cannot nominate for any award, the author's poem must be nominated by a member of IWVPA & then 2nd by another member.