A BATHTUB IN THE DESERT

This section contains archival material from former Forum users.
Membership forms: http://www.abpa.org.au/membership.html
Terry

A BATHTUB IN THE DESERT

Post by Terry » Wed Nov 24, 2010 7:31 pm

This was one of my very first attempts at writing poetry and it’s based on true facts.
Despite what the poem suggests I suspect that the tub was reserved for drinking water it was far too precious to waste on having a bath. (I have tried to tidy it up a bit) - Terry

A BATHTUB IN THE DESSERT

A few miles west of Yarrie we once spied an ancient shack,
it looked just like a miners camp well hidden from the track.
Built high up on a quartz ridge this old humpy had been set,
the lower country near it Would be boggy in the wet.

You knew he’d been a bushman for the site was chosen well.
This sun baked land in summer would be hot for quite a spell.
Tall gum trees offered shade; somewhat a rarity out there,
the country’s mostly mulga here, or otherwise it’s bare.

Then as we neared the scattered ruins we spied a full size tub,
still in its right position but now overgrown with scrub.
The corrugated iron roof was designed to catch the rain,
that ran down to a water tank in through a manmade drain.

Now if the tank should overflow, a rarity I’m sure.
then water flowed into the tub through casing from a bore
Imagine the excitement if this ever did take place,
he could have a proper scrub up, instead of hands and face.

And then we got to wondering, what all of this could mean,
for rainfall out this way at best, was always somewhat lean.
Despite this source of water for his bathing I still fear,
that even in the best of times, he’d pong for most the year.

© T.E. Piggott 17/12/2005

David J Delaney

Re: A BATHTUB IN THE DESERT

Post by David J Delaney » Wed Nov 24, 2010 9:42 pm

Hahahaha!!..love it Terry, I've met a couple of jokers in my travels who could qualify in this yarn, you could smell them way down the other end of the bar. :lol: :lol:

warooa

Post by warooa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:12 am

Good stuff, Terry . . I know it's good country for a tub ie. hot and dry most of the time. Brings back memories; we used to go out to Yarrie from Pardoo Roadhouse and get on the drink for a change of scenery, or the Iron Clad at Marble Bar. Reminds me I've got a half constructed poem about Shay Gap that I've never been able to finish.

Cheers, mate . .

Marty

warooa

Post by warooa » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:14 am

Terry wrote: (I have tried to tidy it up a bit) - Terry

Wot? The bath or the pome? :roll:

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:25 pm

G/day David,
Yea ran into a few myself as well mate, and have made the mistake of getting getting downwind of myself when I've gone a week without a shower when water was so scarce you almost felt guilty when drinking it.

Cheers Terry

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:34 pm

G'day Terry,

An old mate of mine was a stockman on the ninety mile desert in South Australia. He told me how one real hot day he had reached a bore tank, where he expected to get fresh water only to find that some passing workers had had a bath in the tank, and used soap !! lucky for them that they had gone before his arrival.
You wouldn't try that one Terry.

Neville
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:42 pm

Hi Marty,
This was at the other Yarrie about 160 ks north of Kal there used to be a Government battery there for crushing small prospectors ore. Back before detectors we crushed there and were on the payroll to work the afternoon shift for our crushing. this was a common practice in those days to try and keep prospectors in the area by giving them a bit income to help them make ends meet.

Speaking of the Ironclad Pub, when we were prospecting around Marble Bar a chap (George) who had a show out at Chocolate hill (down on Hillside Station) being a good husband used to come to the Bar so his wife could attend the Jehovah Witness services. Not being religious bloke himself he would adjourn to the Ironclad and I suspect it took a few more prayers to get him out again.

Cheers Mate, you'd better finish that poem eh! - Terry

Terry

Post by Terry » Thu Nov 25, 2010 3:50 pm

G/day Neville,
No it wasn't me but I have seen plenty of blokes have a swim in the tanks - they'd fill their water containers first -. I always felt it wasn't the right thing to do so I would just strip off and and throw a few buckets water over myself after having a good lather-up from the first bucket. you'd be surprised how cold the water was even on a scorcher of a day, feeling so hot yourself beforehand I suppose.

Cheers Terry

Heather

Post by Heather » Thu Nov 25, 2010 4:38 pm

Good one Terry - enjoyed it. Pouring rain here at the moment if anyone wants a bath. Tank overflowing - once again!

Zondrae

Post by Zondrae » Thu Nov 25, 2010 9:48 pm

Evening all,
I have been looking for some particular shots of our various camps at Lightning Ridge and I came on some photos of Wayne and his younger brother having a wash in pouring rain. After a summer storm, the tank was overflowing, so we unhooked a pipe and the boys had a shower in the gushing liquid. Yes, soap and all. Wayne's brother was living with us at the time. He stayed for a couple of years then met a lady and disappeared. We haven't seen him now for almost 11 years. If anyone meets a bearded character, with a rather crooked nose and one eye, named Max, ask him if he is Wayne King's brother and tell him to get in touch. Although I'm not sure he will have anyone's phone numbers. Better get him to have someone contact me through this site with an address for him. Would be a nice Christmas surprise to know he is still in the land of the living. Last we heard he was living round Brisbane.

All a bit sad really. I guess there is a poem here somewhere.
Zondrae King
a woman of words