I'm Only a Novice

ABPA Financial members can post their Bush Poetry here ...
All Forum Visitors can view but only Financial ABPA Members can post and reply.
Peely

Re: I'm Only a Novice

Post by Peely » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:10 pm

I'm not sure how catterel verse works, Maureen, I haven't tried writing it. You don't have to try to write doggerel verse though - if you don't try that is probably what you are going to end up with anyway :lol:
John Peel - The Man from Gilmore Creek

Duncan Williams

Post by Duncan Williams » Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:56 pm

G'day I don't really regard a poet as a novice.(only if they are in a competition that is being judged) but a master poet is a well- known writer that been around no less than twenty-thirty years, published widely throughout their state or country, but they can also write what we call simple or not educated verse.

Duncan.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Thu Feb 27, 2014 3:50 pm

So the fact that I have been writing for over 30 years have won comps both written and performance and published in numerous magazines and newspapers, radio and overseas web sites by your mark would make me a master poet ?

I can assure you I am not and do not consider myself so.

Just a bloke who enjoys what I do.

Bob
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!

Peely

Post by Peely » Thu Feb 27, 2014 9:58 pm

Personally, I would view a master as someone that can apply their craft at the highest levels. Some reach those levels quickly, some struggle hard before they reach those heights. Some can write for years for pure enjoyment without feeling the need to be the best while others strive to be the best at what they do.

I would view a novice as someone that still has a lot to learn about their craft.

On the whole though, if you find enjoyment in what you do regardless of your level of achievement in your craft, you are on a winner.

Ron

Post by Ron » Sat Mar 01, 2014 9:22 am

Totally agree with your last line there John. However on the other side of the fence regarding poets recognition, it reminds me of A friend of a mate that was a published poet of sorts, who was at a function that was also attended by Gough Whitlam (politics aside, like him or not, the man did have an incredible wit).
When asked by Gough what he did , he replied that he was a poet, to which Gough's immediate retort was "Isn't that for others to decide!".
A bit like the old adage about wine "you could make the most expensive wine in the world, but if the person drinking it doesn't like it, it is not worth 'two bob!'
All in the eyes of ... I guess.
Ron

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Mar 02, 2014 9:05 am

I really like John's short poem. Well done.

It flows and is entertaining with its tongue in cheek humour!

Get in .. deliver a message.. and get out fast. Impact.... and brevity which may be the soul of wit but I reckon is also the soul of good bush poetry too!!

Neat, concise, no stumbling.... well constructed.

Rather than discuss the poem's message, I am far more interested in the technical construct, the way it is put together as a poem. The skillful use of words... and the twist in the tail, contained in the last line too.

"I'm trying to write like a master, I'm only a novice you see -
I wonder if they ever laboured when they were beginners like me."

Wham.. straight in... with confidence, and effect. Like a fencing attack....

A real little gem. Nicely done John!! cool man!

Ron

Post by Ron » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:27 am

Oops, I'd better clarify there John that when I refered to 'agreeing with the last line' I meant the last line of your last post. Not of the poem itself, otherwise it may have sounded offensive. Certainly not intended.
I did enjoy the poem.
Ron

Peely

Post by Peely » Sun Mar 02, 2014 11:40 am

G'day Ron

All OK, I had picked that up.

Definitely, what might be great for some isn't necessarily so for others.

It makes me think of a couple of lines out of "I am... I said" by Neil Diamond:

"I am... I said, to no-one there
and no-one heard at all, not even the chair."

To some, they are poorly written forced rhymes (it has always sounded forced to me). To others, he has brilliantly used personification of an inanimate object to highlight just how lonely he is.

G'day Gary

I'm glad you enjoyed my little poem.

It is interesting that you bring up the subject of fencing. I have had a lot of success with some poems on that very subject.