Sticks - Jeremy Lee

Post your true-blue Aussie yarns here.
manfredvijars

Sticks - Jeremy Lee

Post by manfredvijars » Sun Apr 17, 2011 1:34 pm

Sticks
Jeremy Lee.

The Stick is the one of most useful things in the universe. It is a communications device, firelighter, weapon, testing instrument, ceremonial device, and is the only known way to control camels. If that wasn't enough it is available in some form almost everywhere, and can be easily customised to suit the individual needs of the owner or situation.

Indeed, most modern technologies can trace their development back through history to the common stick. Writing implements (pens, pencils, charcoal, burnt sticks), nuclear weapons (missiles, cannons, guns, crossbows, arrows, sticks), skyscrapers (buildings, houses, huts, thatching, the stick), and artificial intelligence (computers, calculators, the abacus, notched sticks) are all derivatives.

Sticks range in style from the Common Stick, which is essentially a piece of dead wood which has fallen off a tree, to the crocia, the staff borne by abbots and bishops of the Eastern Rite, generally made from cypress-wood, often cased or inlaid with gold or silver. Later on the staffs were made of solid ivory, gold, silver, and enamelled metal. A hollow stick is used by the indigenes of Australia as a musical instrument

Such embellished Sticks are regularly tried by people who attempt to combine them with other advanced tools such as telecommunications equipment, and survival gear. They almost always return to the Common Stick once they realize the fundamental reason for sticks: disposability. One stick which is a little hard to dispose of is the flat bendy stick referred to as a 'boomerang'. It does make a great hunting weapon because if you miss it does return to the thrower - but don't forget to duck.

The utility of this is underestimated. For example, you can poke a stick down a dark hole or murky pool, knowing that if something grabs the other end in an iron grip and begins inexorably to pull you down into the abysmal depths, you can just let go and run away. But this is only the case if you haven't combined the functionality of your stick with your credit card, identity papers, and car keys.

Sometimes, you just need devices which can do their job completely independently of others. In this regard, the simple wooden stick is still one of the most advanced tools in the modern arsenal.
---

Jasper Brush

Re: Sticks - Jeremy Lee

Post by Jasper Brush » Sun Apr 17, 2011 5:32 pm

Well Manfred.

A very thoughtful piece of information. :D

I''m old enough to remember the 'stick' in the classroom.

You have convinced me.

We have a living stick. The 'Stick Insect.'

And Adams apple hung by a stalk in the branch of a tree.

Mate, now you have me doing it! :D

Well at least 'names will never hurt me.'

Regards,

John

David J Delaney

Post by David J Delaney » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:45 pm

Thanks for the history lesson Manfred, got a good giggle from this, I to, like John remember well the 'stick' at school. :D

Neville Briggs

Post by Neville Briggs » Wed Apr 20, 2011 8:58 am

Very good Manfred. Stick it to 'em.
Neville
" Prose is description, poetry is presence " Les Murray.

Bob Pacey

Post by Bob Pacey » Wed Apr 20, 2011 7:08 pm

Bloody sticky beaks
The purpose in life is to have fun.
After you grasp that everything else seems insignificant !!!