Bush Poetry recorded on old 78's

Discussion of any bush poetry topic.
ONLY Registered Forum Members have access to this Forum.
Gary Harding

Bush Poetry recorded on old 78's

Post by Gary Harding » Sun Mar 10, 2019 9:48 am

Some bush ballads have been put to music and recorded on old 78rpm records...especially Banjo Paterson's poems. I have managed to collect most of these. Some are rare and take patience to procure.

This windup gramophone was obtained to facilitate a nostalgic exhibit of these charming bush ballad recordings.

This split-top cabinet style I selected to allow use of the left side for display items. The player will have a beautiful set of burgundy full length drapes behind it as a period backdrop.

The actual "bush poetry 78rpm displays" are mostly complete now and, on this unit with spotlighting, they take your breath away. Absolutely stunning!

Gramophones themselves are of course readily available, usually from people who love and restore such delightful things. For this presentation, I am researching to find out its history.

I am contemplating having the ballads playing; appearing to come from this unit (from a hidden player)?

The audio program Audacity (free on-line) has a remarkably good noise filter and I have used it to clean up the noise from LP audio tracks of recitations (where it is most noticeable) in the past. So will try it on these 78's without removing the authentic hash completely.

It is all just another fabulous dimension to the wonderful, wonderful world of traditional Bush Poetry that we, as loyal and in some cases dangerously fanatical, ABPA members enjoy so much..

So much FUN and so satisfying!!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

Re: Bush Poetry recorded on old 78's

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Sun Mar 10, 2019 3:47 pm

I saw your 'new' gramophone and to think it came from Ipswich - small world. :lol: Your collection of old 78's sounds fascinating. Just goes to shw what is still 'out there' if one looks hard enough.
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Mon Mar 11, 2019 10:30 am

Maureen, I get the impression that with its extremely well organised/promoted Bush Poetry Feast.. its source of charming antique gramophones that are useful for bush poetry 78's.. and who knows what other hidden antiquarian gems... as well as being the epicentre of the TAT Poetry magazine... IPSWICH must be a remarkable place!!

I must confess to never having been there...(how many people have been to Hervey Bay?) .. but I can see that will have to change!

I have lost count of how many times I have thought "well, that must be it, there can be nothing left" then immediately some new treasure emerges either on-line or at some junk shop etc. (yesterday I bought two old sheet-music's, one with words by Lawson, The Water Lily, and the other with music by Marie Cowan of WM fame, God Bless Australia.. for $10 each. Cheap)

Also for example, a hand-written poem by Banjo himself, plus a book inscribed to Kermit Roosevelt that can be placed in historic time and location... both items absolutely priceless Australian literary treasures, if not the most important items of Banjo's today!!... and they end up with someone inconsequential like me. It is ridiculous, and in theory should not happen. However it does show what can be got with a little diligence and persistence. They are there to be got still, and one can even be pretty amateur like me, and still score an occasional big win.

For interest, the gramophone which is in perfect condition and I think late 1920's... no coffee rings etc, working condition, LH side opens up, was shipped here for free by the builder working for my neighbour. It cost $470 all up. On the low side of fair price range I think. I am having great fun with it, fitting it into a display situation etc. Its timber colours are so rich. Photos never do justice!!! It is stunning.

.. it is all so interesting.. and pioneering too. Anybody here can do this sort of thing... no special qualifications needed.

As always, thank you for your support and encouragement.. Gary
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Tue Mar 12, 2019 11:40 am

Ah! The great Peter Dawson!

He is intertwined with memories of my childhood - my father's 78 rpm record collection included some of his.
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")

Gary Harding

Post by Gary Harding » Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:45 am

How many 78's do you have Shelley? Some recently made turntables will play 78's now. I have a cheapy that does it. Not sure what the diamond stylus would do to the record though?! maybe more gentle that the steel "needles" of old?

Peter Dawson :

Here are a couple of comments from Warren Fahey to me when I mentioned Peter Dawson, who frankly I had never come across before buying The Bushrangers on 78.

Gary, "Here's a short film I made to commemorate Peter Dawson's last resting place - Rookwood Cemetery".

http://www.rookwoodcemetery.com.au/.../peter_dawson.mp4

I think that it is a film clip worth seeing in its entirety.

Warren also says "The Guinness Book of Records had the world's Top 10 selling artists which, at the time, included The Beatles and Peter Dawson! He holds a special place in the recording industry..... the only person I know whose recording career spanned cylinders through to vinyl."

www.warrenfahey.com.au

.. and the Australian Folklore Unit

I remember Warren from the days when he was part of Warren Fahey and The Larrikins. I think we used to take turns playing in our respective bands at The Green Man coffee and pancake lounge in Malvern, Vic.? Great Memories!

That is more folk scene stuff though... all good history nonetheless.

Shelley Hansen

Post by Shelley Hansen » Sat Mar 16, 2019 1:36 pm

I have a couple of dozen 78s left - and I have a stereo that plays them. Many of the old classics have been digitally reissued now.
Shelley Hansen
Lady of Lines
http://www.shelleyhansen.com

"Look fer yer profits in the 'earts o' friends,
fer 'atin' never paid no dividends."
(CJ Dennis "The Mooch o' Life")