HOMEWORK PROMPTS FOR WEEK ENDING 11TH FEBRUARY 2019

All Registered Forum Users can participate in the writing exercises for the current fortnight.
Users can also participate in comment and constructive feedback in this Workshop.

Moderator: Shelley Hansen

Maureen K Clifford
Location: Ipswich - Paul Pisasale country and home of the Ipswich Poetry Feast

HOMEWORK PROMPTS FOR WEEK ENDING 11TH FEBRUARY 2019

Post by Maureen K Clifford » Tue Jan 29, 2019 11:59 pm

Well things have been a tad quiet as they always are this time of year - People are busy, school holidays are on and folks are still on holidays. No problems at all with that.

So lets make it an easy peasy challenge based on Neville's advice to Terry actually.

The challenge is to write a Haiku or Haiku styled poem, based on something you have done, seen or enjoyed over the December/January break. There is no need for rhyme.

A traditional Haiku is a 3 lined verse with a total of 17 syllables - traditionally written as 5/7/5 syllables for each line. Or extend it out into a Tanka poem with 31 syllables. Tanka poems are written about nature, seasons, love, sadness and other strong emotions. Traditionally a Tanka is written in a single unbroken line, but nothing is set in concrete here :lol: , so set it out as you wish over 5 lines.

If your poems rhyme that is fine, but dig deep and go for the deeper emotion, make use of good descriptive words to paint your picture, eg cerulean skies rather than blue skies. Think outside the square - use simile and metaphors, eg The curtain of night fell upon us. Use alliteration eg seven sisters slept

Go to it my lovelies - surprise yourselves
Check out The Scribbly Bark Poets blog site here -
http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

I may not always succeed in making a difference, but I will go to my grave knowing I at least tried.